The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Imagination Coin's by Craig Petty ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Can anyone tell me what the name of the coin set that Craig uses for his Imagination Coin's routine shown at 46:43 in the link provided, I know it consists of a Morgan shell, a copper shell and a copper/silver coin but wondered if it cam as a set ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfe1o6Z22wA&t=2828s
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
It looks like the Bluether "Ultimate CSB" set to me. Same thing as a Cerberus, though an authentic Lassen one will put you back a pretty penny.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Dec 28, 2021, tonsofquestions wrote:
It looks like the Bluether "Ultimate CSB" set to me. Same thing as a Cerberus, though an authentic Lassen one will put you back a pretty penny.

I thought it was a CSB at first but he was able to show the dollar on both sides during the routine which is something you wouldn't be able to do with a CSB.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Yup, that was Lassen's addition to the gaff that made the Cerberus, though others likely had the same idea independently. Now it's all one package, can be shown on both sides, and removed from your hand to vanish everything, much like a HH set.
Carpenter Coins was also similar. Though there are subtleties around how much coverage each turtle provides, as you would expect.
I can't speak for how deep the Bluether one is, and I've only seen pictures of the Cerberus.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Thanks that's very helpful, is that gaff also known under another name as sadly Todd Lassen is no longer with us and I read bad things about the Carpenter coin set ?
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Again, it's a CSB with something extra. So you could also construct it yourself, or find a set that's sold, but coverage may vary.
I don't know all of the ones that exist like that, both because many gaffs sets aren't clear exactly what they contain, because most don't include attributions to the original creator, and because some are no longer made/hard to find.

it also depends on what size/type of coins you want as to where you might find it. As I mentioned, the Ultimate CSB (sometimes 2.0) is the same, but is dollar size (as, I suppose, are most of the Cerberus sets), so that's your easiest bet. I think there are fewer in half-dollar, if just because the coins are so much thinner/smaller after all the work. I remember reading Afshin's Menage a 3 has this as one of the pieces https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=445880 but it's pretty expensive to buy, and reviews of quality were mixed. Past that, I don't think many others are manufacturing it, because ... it was someone else's idea.

Ultimately, it depends what your needs are. Do you want to explore ideas and just have something that's mostly right? Then you can make something yourself or use one with not great coverage to experiment. If you need it to look and function perfectly from the get go, you will have to pay more or go custom.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Once again that's very helpful and has definitely pointed me in the right direction, I'll look into it Smile
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I previously owned Menage A 3 and currently have both Carpenter Coins and Cerberus sets.

Sure, you can throw a shell over a CSB and perform some solid routines, but don't call it a Cerberus.

A Yugo and a Ferrari are both cars and will get you to the store and back, but they're not anywhere near in the same class.

The nested Menage A 3 set was overly thick/chunky, and the shortcomings of the set provided with Carpenter Coins routine have been detailed here:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&start=0

P.S. The Carpenter *routine* is good. It was just the coins provided with it that weren't the best.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Well, to be fair, I said it was "similar", and that coverage differed on the cheaper sets. The Menage a 3 thread said it could be a "makeshift" one, so I assumed it was better than just chunky. Apparently I was wrong.

I also said that I didn't have the Bluether set, so I wasn't sure on how close it was.
In the end, the "gaff" in question is a bit unknown, since we're not 100% sure what was used. You could use a Cerberus set for the Carpenter routine, but not necessarily the other way around.

But I tried as best as I could to answer the ambiguous "any other names for this set?" question, under the circumstances.

Other than that, I do agree with you on tolerances, coverage, etc. being a big factor to the difference in quality of these sets.
CDenys
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of CDenys
May be Craig uses ultimate CSB by Oliver magic.
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of PapaG
In his latest video, entitled something like 'three tricks with gaffed coins you've never heard of', Craig goes over the gaffs that are needed for the trick. Unfortunately he doesn't reveal the source of his particular set.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Nice video. For those lazy, it's here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFVec7XANDk
Looking at it again more closely, it's 100% an Oliver set and not Bluther - you can tell from the type of Chinese coin included.

I find his video a little annoying, actually - it's "3 tricks with coin gimmicks you've never heard of", but then only tells you what 2 of the gimmicks are. Or, if as he suggests at one point, the trick is gimmickless (examinable before + after does not really mean that) then it's hardly "a trick with a gimmicked coin you've never heard of".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Imagination Coin's by Craig Petty ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL