The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Melting into and out of floor?? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jolan Vanderdark
View Profile
New user
The Brownsville City Morgue
54 Posts

Profile of Jolan Vanderdark
When I was around 7 years old, a magician performed at my elementary school. During his performance there was a large cloth laying on the ground, flat as a pancake, suddenly and mysterously it started rising, and taking shape, soon inside was a figure standing, he removed the cloth and it was his assistant. A few minutes later he redrapes the cloth over her and she melts back into the floor, again the cloth as flat as a pancake laying on the floor. He did this in the gymnasium and was surrounded on all sides by spectators. Now I'm 31 and I wish to learn this effect.
What I described is as closely as I can remember it?
Does anyone know where I can learn this or buy this? Thank you
Yes....Eventually you will come to me.

And Ohhh...What Sights I Have To Show You!!
paulajayne
View Profile
Inner circle
London England
1160 Posts

Profile of paulajayne
Hi Jolan

It is wonderful what people remember about a magic trick they have seen.

Check up on illusion building and
PM me if you wish

Paula
Paula Jay - Magic to Remember -
---------------------------------
I once wrote a book on elephants, I think paper would have been better.
----
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Sounds like what Copperfield did when he did the exploding building. And he reappeared on top of that slate under a cloth. Pretty cool effect I have to say.

Michael
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Michael,
What Copperfield did on that special was on a raised platform placed on sawhorses. Otherwise, the visual effect was about the same, although I don't believe it was the same method as what Jolan saw as a child. I think that was basically taking advantage of the "built in" features of that particuar stage.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
The Mirror Images
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan/USA
1980 Posts

Profile of The Mirror Images
Oh ok. It just sounded like that. But you might be right. Thanks
Steven and Michael, The Mirror Images
The MOST Identical Twin Illusionist
http://www.themirrorimages.com
Check out our latest new effect
- Liquid Steel NEW
- MotoBox NEW
- MotoMation NEW
- Voyager
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Seeing things when you're young and trying to remember them now might cloud your mind a bit.

Since you were only 7 years old I am sure the the illusion you described has some things missing. Heck, I can't remember what I did 4 years ago. Smile

Search around for a similar effect/illusion. I doubt the illusion is as clean as you described.
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
Although I have never seen the effect described, it seems like I have heard of a giant "glorpy" to produce an assistant on a solid floor.
muzicman
View Profile
Special user
LaCenter, Wa
989 Posts

Profile of muzicman
Funny, I was also reminded of Copperfield in the BUILDING DEMOLITION conclusion. The cloth laying on the plate of steel supported by the sawhorses blew in the wind moments before he began to rise up...it almost revealed the secret and nearly ruined the "all one shot" since the building was already imploded. Thankfully it only jostled the cloth and the illusion was recorded for all eternity. I agree with Dave above..

The method used in a school years ago was not the same method Copperfield used in his illusion. I believe a method could be used that doesn't need a "Special Stage" and could be performed live with limited sight lines. Of course, with Copperfields budget, I could also do it surrounded on a raised platform after escaping from an imploding building. I built a poor mans version for about 20 bucks and the sight lines are awesome, but not surrounded!
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
In all fairness to Jolan and his memory, I too, have seen a similar/same? effect during a Shriner's Circus in a school gym. Just like Jolan's school's floor, there were no trap doors or platforms. The magician held up a curtain made of a hula hoop and the girl appeared within, there was no disappearance afterwards. He performed 3/4 surrounded slightly away from the backdrop. It happened quite fast and was very surprising.

Perhaps as a clue to the method, I do remember something like a large carpet/runner leading from the backdrop to where the hula hoop lay.

s
alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa
245 Posts

Profile of alekei
...But, Is there in any book an explanation about can you do what Jolan witnessed as a Child?

PaulaJayne, What do you know about that?

I know Copperfield's version is only-for-TV because the critical angles, but another version, done surrounded, sounds Really cool!
J.S.llusionDesigns
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of J.S.llusionDesigns
On one of the masked magician specials(i am not the REAL masked magician) he did a trick with that concept. But he used that concept to make a different illusion.
Joe Smith Illusion Designs
John Bundy
View Profile
Regular user
USA
193 Posts

Profile of John Bundy
The effect sounds like OUT OF THIN AIR
This was a Paul Osborne idea it can be found in his BIG BLACK BOOK.
Speed
View Profile
New user
Maryland
3 Posts

Profile of Speed
This sounds like Ralph Adams appearing from the floor using a black art picket fence. The cloth is laid out flat on the floor, raised a little and the person grows right out of the floor...convincing as can be. It's in the Ralph Adams book. It also comes with a video. I think this a great source for info.

Speed
Speed & Thro: High Energy Magic
Jeff Hayden
View Profile
New user
88 Posts

Profile of Jeff Hayden
Without getting into method, I do an appearance like this using Black Art. This is a very professional and inexpensive way to pull off a vanish or appearance like this. I use a hoola hoop with a sheet.
Go to: http://www.blackartsecrets.com for info on black art.

-JH
Did you see that?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
A current performer does something like this. The cloth isn't really flat to begin with.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Ralph Adams method could accomplish this but so could any number of other methods.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Get a copy of Tom Palmer's "Modern Illusions." There is an assistant vanish in there that will provide you with a few clues. That's all I will say on an open forum.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of Comet
Quote:
On 2004-06-29 09:54, eddiekap wrote:
Seeing things when you're young and trying to remember them now might cloud your mind a bit.

Since you were only 7 years old I am sure the the illusion you described has some things missing. Heck, I can't remember what I did 4 years ago. Smile

4 years ago? wow you're good I can't remember what I did 4 hours ago LOL. yep I agree you probably remembered it like that but I'm sure your mind is missing something. I'm sure you can get close if you work at it. and hey if you comd up with a method that works like you remember it there's a LOT of people out there who'd love to know that!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Melting into and out of floor?? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL