The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Distancia LES FRENCH TWINS (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
JLemoine
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of JLemoine
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2022, coachawsm wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 8, 2022, CDenys wrote:
The effect with the coin under the glass is great.
But unfortunately no information with the issues that can occur if the magnetic field is so strong.

Of course there is information. There is a warning saying you should not get closer than 2 feet to something like a credit card, phone or whatever. We all know what kind of issues magnets can cause tonthese things, so the question is answered Smile

Let's just say you shouldn't use it if you're working pro.
Jack Poulin
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
186 Posts

Profile of Jack Poulin
Quote:
On Jan 7, 2022, Jared wrote:
This is a variation of Canadian magician Jack's routine which is called "Nervous Jolt" on his Penguin LIVE Lecture. In his variation, the magnet block is positioned near the elbow and the handling is better disguised than this. The necessary magnet required to perform Jack's cost $82.00 with the shipping included. In addition, you need a strong PK coin (about $35). The only benefit that I can see with this is the ease of hookup (wristwatch). But on the other hand, you can perform Jack's with your sleeve rolled up. What's difficult to see from the trailer is how realistic the watch looks? I ordered the necessary magnet to perform Jack's routine recently and am presently waiting for the delivery before I can try it out.

Hello Jared, thanks for your kind words about Nervous Jolt. I just watched the Distancia's trailer and it look extremely good. I heard about it for the first time today. I can reassure everyone that even if Nervous Jolt use a very strong magnet, it never comes close enough to cause any harm. The way it's performed, the spectator has to stretch their arms first so their hand is far away from them. I always wear it on me while strolling, never have a single problem in the 15 years I've been performing it. It's of no danger either for expensive watches because the handling never have you place your elbow under the watch. Even if the N52 magnet I use is strong, I know about it's magnetic field and it's never affecting the watch of a single spectator. Of course, you need to be cautious but it's nothing hard to work around. In my Penguin Live lecture I used a Walt Noon PK coin but since then I switched to the new stronger Kreis Super Strong Half Dollar, that's what I recommend, using this coin, the distance between the magnet and the coin is even better. This coin is so sensitive that the elbow doesn't even have to be under the coin for it to flip. With Nervous Jolt, everything is justified because of the patter that explained everything (why you hold their elbow, touch their fingers). Have a look at this behind the scene video. Nick Locapo was filming the screen "far" from the action and Dan Harlan was sitting by his side, what you hear is Dan's reaction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP1aOc0KnFs
Jack Poulin
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
186 Posts

Profile of Jack Poulin
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2022, Jared wrote:
Update: I received the necessary magnet to perform Jack's "Nervous Jolt" and the thing works incredibly well when paired with a Kreis Super-strong Magnetic half dollar. But now I need to either search for a suitable holder or have my tailor make something as what Jack recommends. After playing around with this I feel that it's much better to position the magnet closer to your elbow than your wrist. IMO it's too close to the action. The only problem with performing this kind of effect other than accidentally harming audience members with pacemakers LOL is that you're going to want to remove and store the magnet almost immediately after performing the routine. So, the harness must be able to be removed quickly and easily and without suspicion. I'm going to need to think more about the design of the harness. But on the positive, you're going to be smile with delight when you see how good the coin looks flipping over in your hand. It really is a thing of beauty.

Hello Jared, here is a very simple and practical solution for your magnet holder. A couple of my students use this. Much simpler than what I suggested on my Penguin Lecture. I know that the cost of the magnet, coin, holder doesn't comes cheap. But trust me, when you'll see the amazing reactions you'll get performing it, you'll never regret it a second. It's a minor investment for this reputation making PK demonstration. On top of that, you'll never have something to replace as nothing can break.
https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/Cambivo-manch......&sr=8-15

Jack
fcchief1
View Profile
Loyal user
258 Posts

Profile of fcchief1
Can't see doing this, most of my work is in pubs, bars, people have their phones out all the time, many wear watches, metal grated tables on the patio. No thanks.
Jared
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island, USA
1579 Posts

Profile of Jared
Thank you, Jack... Very much appreciated! I experimented with the magnet inside a card box in my outer breast coat pocket this weekend and the distance achieved was unreal!!! I demonstrated it for a few magic friends, and they were equally impressed. I'm going to pick up one of the bands and experiment between both before deciding. But I do prefer the way you hold the spectator's arm (brilliant!). Ultimately, I'm going to want to be able to remove it quickly at strolling gigs to sort of 'pick my spots' as to when to use it. I also need to devise a safe storage solution for when I am not wearing it. If you have any ideas about that, I'd love to hear them Smile
Joaquin
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
I got this . I am not sure why people are so freak out about the magnet. It is not that powerful with a huge magnetic field around that will mess up electronics a feet away. . I also have M5 which it is a bigger magnetic metal square block probably with the same strength than the magnet from distancia. When M5 came out from Ellusionist no one was so critical and freak out about it and it was probably more dangerous since it was not attached to any plastic enclosure like distancing.

To affect a cell you pretty much need to put the device a few inches away from the magnet. More than a foot a way the magnet is not going to touch it.

Distancing is a lot of fun. Lots of tricks . The best part is that you can wear it in your arm and can be covered with a shirt or sweater. Carrying the M5 was a pain. It is ver heavy and the brand provided was bad.

To carry distancing to a gig just put it inside the box or wrap it in a handkerchief . No big deal
David asecas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of David asecas
It looks great (if it is true that everything that appears in the video can be done), I played with something similar and the truth is that being able to move objects, even borrowed, can make the viewer hallucinate.
I'll put it on my wish list.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Looks good.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
markymarkmagicuk
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
299 Posts

Profile of markymarkmagicuk
What if the spectator helping you has a pacemaker? Surely your magnet is going to be fairly close to them at some point, and as a performer you'd probably not even know if they have a pacemaker in the first place. It worries me as I've seen someone pass out when his pacemaker was close to a powerful magnet on a large engineering grinding machine a few years ago.
I think this gadget is just too troublesome to achieve a trick that is over in seconds. Just my opinion. It was good to see Craig Petty review this and I agree with his view.
Vercetti
View Profile
New user
Acapulco
28 Posts

Profile of Vercetti
Greetings to all. First of all I very happy that Café is back.

Someone who has Distance and can give a concrete opinion on it? (Besides the usual reviewers), since I would like to buy it for use in a restaurant set.

Magical greetings and thanks for keeping the magic Café alive.
coachawsm
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2022, Vercetti wrote:
Greetings to all. First of all I very happy that Café is back.

Someone who has Distance and can give a concrete opinion on it? (Besides the usual reviewers), since I would like to buy it for use in a restaurant set.

Magical greetings and thanks for keeping the magic Café alive.

Hi there. I got it and I would say you can achieve truely magical things with it. It works great. That said, be aware of certain conditions. The gimmick is extremely strong and big, so starting out having it on you already means you always need to keep your distance from phones, wallets and alle these kind of things. That's what stopped me from using it too much so far. I am still thinking about the right situation to use it.
iluzjonista
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of iluzjonista
I didn't purchase this product but from my personal oppinion this is way overpriced. I just tried doing that with my magnetic coin which I bought for around $35 and it works perfectly. The trick looks better on camera then in real life. The video is not showing position of second hand (with the magnet attached) which doesn’t look soo magical. The third thing that is worth to consider is magnet itself. The stronger it is the more carefull you have to be with it.
coachawsm
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2022, iluzjonista wrote:
I didn't purchase this product but from my personal oppinion this is way overpriced. I just tried doing that with my magnetic coin which I bought for around $35 and it works perfectly. The trick looks better on camera then in real life. The video is not showing position of second hand (with the magnet attached) which doesn’t look soo magical. The third thing that is worth to consider is magnet itself. The stronger it is the more carefull you have to be with it.

The video is showing the position of the hand with the magnet on - for 5 full seconds from 1:15 to 1:20. I don't think it is fair to say it is overpriced, when you don't have the product and don't know what you can do with it. I have some pretty strong magnetic coins or magnets, but they would not be able to compete with the actual magnet you get here.
Vercetti
View Profile
New user
Acapulco
28 Posts

Profile of Vercetti
Thank you very much friends for your kind answers. I read looking for a long time, that the plated iron (I hope it is the correct translation), isolates the magnetic field, I thought to keep it there while it is not used, or better yet, try to create a lid to be able to turn it on or off.

I wonder if by not using it I can put it in the armpit with the magnet directed at the body (to avoid having knives or spoons stuck to the arm). Since I want it for restaurant work, it's a bit difficult (I hope not impossible). Regarding telephones, can't I have my mobile phone while using distancia?

Thank you again. Magical greetings!
coachawsm
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2022, Vercetti wrote:
Thank you very much friends for your kind answers. I read looking for a long time, that the plated iron (I hope it is the correct translation), isolates the magnetic field, I thought to keep it there while it is not used, or better yet, try to create a lid to be able to turn it on or off.

I wonder if by not using it I can put it in the armpit with the magnet directed at the body (to avoid having knives or spoons stuck to the arm). Since I want it for restaurant work, it's a bit difficult (I hope not impossible). Regarding telephones, can't I have my mobile phone while using distancia?

Thank you again. Magical greetings!

Hey. I don't know if there is a way to isolate the magnet. With the provided tools you cannot do that.
The magnet is strong, so if it is close to the phone, the phone might be affected, but you don't need to worry about knives flying towards you. it is strong, but not that strong Smile
Joaquin
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
It has a plastic lid but it is not to turn it off. It is to protect the magnet. You can use it with or without the lid . It is more powerful without it.

Carrying it in your armpit for restaurant walk is an excellent idea !!

Like any other prop you have to always be careful.
Vercetti
View Profile
New user
Acapulco
28 Posts

Profile of Vercetti
Thank you friends for your kind responses.

In the ad it says that it must be 2 feet away, it is not clear to me how I could carry my wallet with credit cards and the phone, 2 feet is less than the distance between the arm and the pants pockets, even with the phone or wallet on the opposite side of Distancia.

For the same reason, at one point I thought that if I crossed my arm on the table (sponge ball routine?) the knives would be attracted to my arm (I think it would be painful and even dangerous hahaha).

Those who use it in the real world, how do you transport it? Do you put it on before acting and when you finish you take it off?

Or, for example, I read in a comment that someone wanted it to act when going out with friends, in that scenario, can they stay all night with the position?, and, what precautions do you have regarding wallets and telephones?.

Excuse my questions, I just want to make sure I can adapt it to my work in restaurants and nightclubs without causing any side effects.

Thank you very much friends and magical greetings!
dasbauhans
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of dasbauhans
Quote:
In the ad it says that it must be 2 feet away, it is not clear to me how I could carry my wallet with credit cards and the phone, 2 feet is less than the distance between the arm and the pants pockets, even with the phone or wallet on the opposite side of Distancia.
Those who use it in the real world, how do you transport it? Do you put it on before acting and when you finish you take it off?

I have exactly the same questions. How am I supposed to wear or transport this without it being less than two feet from either my watch, my phone, my wallet, or the spectators things? Even something as harmless like Joao Miranda’s Intuition I have to be really careful when having on me, together with magnetic coins or even my phone, so this seems really risky and tedious (unless there is some kind of lead container to transport it in?).

I really thought this is a cool effect, and was just about to order it, but the risk of thrashing my stuff (and/or others) seems too big to justify the effect. Really curious to hear from people actually using this in a real world close-up scenario!
Joaquin
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of Joaquin
Simple answer you put it on when you are ready to perform. Just like when you are going to perform an effect with IT or any other gimmick. You set it up when you are ready to go with the effect. Did you ever use a Raven or an M5. If not then you should start there before getting this.

Did you ever perform electric touch? Same thing It is not recommended to do it holding a phone or an I watch either.

Now if you want to be able to walk around all day with the gimmick on you then obviously you are going have to be more than careful. It is about the effect that you can perform not about if you can be carried with your phone and a watch. You always need to put some stuff away to perform many effects
coachawsm
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of coachawsm
To be fair I feel 2 feet are an exaggeration to be on the safe side anyway. 1 foot is enough imo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Distancia LES FRENCH TWINS (28 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL