The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book test: Forcing a line in a book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
I would like to hear your experience and advice on this matter. I intend to force a page, a line and a word on the line, and then of course I need to “mind read” that exact word.

Now I have two questions:

1) Lets say we force page 174, line 17, word number 4. Now up until now I have only forced a page and ask the spectatior to read the first word on the page. Now that’s pretty simple for the spectator to get right. However my concern is if the spectator should go to line 17, that maybe the spectator will miscount to line 16 or 18, and since I only know the words on line 17 I will be in big trouble. You see creating an illusion as a mind reader I’m supposed to read the mind no matter if the spectator stops at line 16, 17 or 18, but of course I can only read the mind if he stops at line 17.

This is all theory, but from those of you who force a line in your performances, can you tell me if you have had any spectators miscounting the line? That would actually reveal part of the method if I “mind read” the word that’s number four on line 17 and the spectator is thinking on word four on line 16.

2) Mind reading is strange, and I believe it’s too impossible for a “mind reader” to read a full sentence by mind reading, so I’d rather mind read only a word, since it seems more “possible”. Or provided the full sentence creates a picture I could “mind read” the picture. But it’s darn hard to find a book where you can force 20-30 pages with 20-30 lines that gives a picture, hence I believe going for one word is easier. What’s your experience on this?
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
I think it is easier to get a mental picture of the very first one on the page, which can be impressive enough if there are several pages in the book. Heck, even getting the page right has pretty good adds against it.

I don't see the point in forcing a page, line, then word. Have them choose the page, then any word, then tell them what it is.

JE
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
Hi Vraagaard,

I use Val Andrews' Book test, which requires exactly that. I find that if I have enough control over the spectator and the audience, then miscounts are very rare.

If I kow I'm going to be in a situation where the audience is not so controlled, I will use something else, like the first word on the page as Johne suggests, or Flashback. I think perhaps the answer may come through using Ultimate Flashback, as there are more chances of hits due to the workings. However, I am unsure, maybe perhaps you were looking for an ungimmicked method?

Hope this helps

Kennedy
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
Vraagaard
View Profile
Inner circle
Copenhagen, Denmark
1479 Posts

Profile of Vraagaard
Hi Kennedy,

I'm actually preparing the Val Andrews book test. I totally like the approach since the book is clean, no gimmicks at all. You force the page, line and ask for the word number, or actually go for the full line. Only problem is if the spectator is miscounting the line number.

Hence my question about the risk that the spectator will miscount the line.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
Two ways to reduce the risk:

Choose a book where there is little ambiguity about what counts as a line - the top of pages can have page numbers with chapter titles and may be counted as a line.

And use a lower line number. Seventeen is more likely to be miscounted than seven.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Good point, Greb. I meant to point that out as well. Forcing the lower number will definitely increase the odds of them hitting it. LOL

I did an effect with numbers yesterday, and was surprised both times. The effect failed. LOL.

This particular effect uses some basic subtraction. Well, you guess it---both people must have failed basic math. You would be surprised how often some of the people just mess up their simple math. I guess there is a need to have a second participant check the math. I actually did this, but the female participant was slightly offended that I didn't trust her. LOL

J
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Mathematics is a dying ability of the newly uneducated. It has been for 30 years now.

There are several generations out there now who can't do basic arithmetic worth diddly-squat. And certainly can't do it under bad lighting, pressure-of-performance, in their heads, etc. That includes basic addition, like counting from one to 17.

Best to factor that in when deciding specifics of your methods. And it won't get any better in the future. It is just something we must realize and deal with.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Greg Owen
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of Greg Owen
In addition (pun intended!) to Tom's point is your point from your first post, it's no good trying to correct the math. You should be reading thoughts or minds, so even if they get it wrong it *shouldn't* matter.

So I don't do anything where the spectator has to do math now. Reversal is in my bag of tricks for the odd one-on-one or on the phone where I know the person is fine with numbers. One-on-one or small groups also have less pressure inherent in the situation.

- Greg Owen
Author of The Alpha Stack ebook - the balanced memorized stack
gobeatty@yahoo.com
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
Hi, Vraagaard,

You'll find several beautiful options in Annemann's "202 Methods of Forcing". The chapter on Number Forces is of particular interest for the book test you propose.

My favorite is Number Force #157, the last one in the chapter. It's an effect in itself. Also, Number Force #154 is a nice impromptu option for Osterlind's "Change of Mind".

Federico
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
In the introduction to The Red Book Of Mentalism, Max Maven states:

"Many clever mentalism routines require a very circuitous chain of events before reaching their climax. When the spectators are required to pick two cards, add their values together, divide the result by three, turn to that page in a book, count down to the line determined by the number of fillings in their teeth...something is wrong---and the audience knows it. This is not mentalism---it is a puzzle. Perhaps a very clever and baffling puzzle, but a puzzle nonetheless."

I completely agree. Spectators of today do not have the attention span, nor the patience to go through a long series of complicated proceedures to get to the point. Smile
giochi
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of giochi
I compeletly agree with dpe666 and Max Maven. Check out 'Blind Sentence' in Luke Jermays Building Blocks.

If you want to hit a word in particular on any line, try putting a pinhole through the first letter from the backside.

Something else you might want to try is the Ernie Ball Book Test.
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
In PEEK PERFORMANCES their are some great methods for
impromptue book tests useing borrowed and ungaffed
books.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Ken Dyne
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2268 Posts

Profile of Ken Dyne
The solution I came up with for the line miscount is that I use a Shakespeare text, I have used other classic text, these have line numbers down the left hand side. This is another factor pointing any spectator into the right direction.

Hope it helps
MR GOLDEN BALLS 2.0: https://mentalunderground.com/product/mr-golden-balls-2-0/" target="_blank"> https://mentalunderground.com/product/passed-out-deck/

BAIRN: Named 'Best Mentalism Product Of 2014 by Marketplace of the Mind is my collection of more than 40 mentalism routines in a beautiful paperback book: http://www.mentalunderground.com/product/bairn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book test: Forcing a line in a book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL