The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Beyond Okito - Slot, Boston and ES Routines? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
I'm looking to get a new Okito box sized for Walking Liberties and I was wondering about the advantages of having a Slot or Boston box instead of a standard box and the advantage of having a box that accommodates an Expanded Sh***.

I know the mechanism of how the boxes work, but I was looking for references for routines / sleights that use the different boxes and use the ES. I know what is listed in Conjuring Archives for the Boston Box and Slot Box.

So my questions is what routines use those props? Any particular routines that you would recommend? Bonus points for references to books that are in print Smile

Thanks.
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
There are so many routines that use each type. Consider the slot box if you are interested in Roth's work. You can see his great slot box routine on volume 10 of the New York Coin Magic Seminar DVD.
Here is the Vanishingincmagic.com promo for volume 10 which contains the full routine. You can prchase the Roth box set by the way from Meir Yedid ( or just the Roth slot box by itself at his site:
https://www.mymagic.com/p/money-magic/roth-coin-box
which comes with the routine performance and explanation
The uses of the boxes are different
The slot box enables you to withhold a coin as you dump them out of the box, while the Boston box shows what appears to be a full box after you have secretly removed all the coins.
For other routines, look for them on YouTube, there are a lot. Also think about Doug Brewer's book Okito Box Killers. There is also a 2 dvd set tutorial out there that you can download for free, can't remember the name so you need to search.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
Michael:

Thank you for the response. David Roth's routing on NYCMS 10 is beautiful. Doug's Coin Box Killer's book also looks amazing. I'll have to check out YouTube to see some examples of routines.

I'm familiar with how they work. I've had an inexpensive Okito box for Kennedy Halves for years and got interested in it again after reading the Aretology of Vanni Bossi. I used to perform the Lip Balm routine in Art of Astonishment using a lip balm container as a Boston Box and I've always wanted to perform Bob Kohler's Brass Ackwards from John Bannon's Impossibilla.

Maybe you are right... getting a set of all three might be the way to go!

Any other suggestions... especially for using the ES?
~David

Any perception of reality is a selection of reality which results in a distortion of reality.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I have a few thoughts, yes.

1) There's also a "slot boston" box that combines the powers of both. I don't know of routines for it, specifically, but if you're feeling creative, I imagine you could come up with ideas.

2) A fairly new box, "echo box" (https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=732637) has some similarities to the slot box, but in a completely different way that I haven't seen done anywhere else. It might be worth exploring, but I don't recall if it uses an ES shell well.

3) From Jimmy Fan in China, there's an "M-box" and an M-Box 2.0", also using a principle that I have not seen before. https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=727436&forum=3. It, in particular, would combine particularly well with an ES, given the way that it functions. It's a little pricey, but offers more than the original, and well worth a look.

Of course, if you do get a set, benefits can be had from having them all look the same, and swapping around. That doesn't work so well with the last two, unfortunately.
Nev Blenk
View Profile
Regular user
Northumberland UK
127 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Another shout out for Roth Boxes. Been using them since the 90's and the design is just perfect for me (especially the weight).
Joe Cole's 'Walk around the Box' and J Burke Whittaker's 'Coin Box Concepts' are also excellent resources chocked full of ideas and routines.

Best
Nev
Coin & Box - book available directly from me.
https://youtu.be/kAxQ6GRU-RI
RealityOne
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of RealityOne
@tonsofquestions - I'm thinking more and more of getting a set so that I can swap around.

@Nev Blenk - Thank you for those resources.
~David

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
My favourite coin box is the Echo Box it's very devious
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Https://kozmomagic.wistia.com/medias/k0cqripibu

Coming Soon to Reel Magic!!! Some of the Best Okito and Coin Box Magic EVER! Click the link above

www.reelmagicmagazine.com
Motor City
View Profile
Special user
Metro Detroit Area
587 Posts

Profile of Motor City
This is the BEST news I've heard in a long time. Can't wait! Kozmo, you never cease to amaze me. Smile
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
John, It's really good...yure going to love it
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Beyond Okito - Slot, Boston and ES Routines? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL