The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » GUESS THE TRICK "The trick now to be described has without doubt surprised & puzzled more people..." (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
See if you can guess the card trick that this is about.

Here's a quote about a trick from a classic book on card magic:

"There are some tricks which stand head and shoulder above others. The trick now to be described has without doubt surprised and puzzled more people than any other trick conceived in the past two decades. It has everything a good trick should have - a good plot, ease of execution, and a terrific impact on those who see it. We have mentioned that the wise magician never reveals his methods to the curious, and in describing this trick we reiterate this counsel, for, once you have told how simple the trick is, you have lost the use of a superb feat of card magic."

That's an extremely positive recommendation. Without looking it up or searching for the answer, what's your guess for the card trick this is talking about?

I'll give opportunity for a few guesses, and then reveal the correct answer. If you know the actual answer, please don't spoil it for others just yet.
Your Thinking Cap
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Your Thinking Cap
Out of this World?
Sean Mann
View Profile
Regular user
Essex, UK
160 Posts

Profile of Sean Mann
I actually know this as I was having my annual flick through the book the other day. I won't reveal though.
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
750 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Everywhere and nowhere?
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
843 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
Sounds like something out of Royal Road or something similar.
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
Just based on how this was asked as a riddle, I would guess something super "simple" from a "basic" book. Something like a Do As I Do, maybe from an old classic "easy" book like Scarne on Card Tricks?

If we talking about entertaining and going laymen, that's the direction I'd be going. Yeah, it's not gonna fool a magician, but it's still so much fun to perform and people love it.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
I, too, was thinking "Do As I Do."

Enders, when will you reveal?
copperct
View Profile
New user
Cincinnati, Ohio
93 Posts

Profile of copperct
"We" tells me it has to be Hugard& Braue... Something from the platform tricks section perhaps?
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
The correct answer is indeed "DO AS I DO".

The quote is taken from the chapter on "The Key Card" in Hugard & Brae's Royal Road to Card Magic (1951).

The key card method is a humble tool we can easily overlook, and sometimes these simple tricks like "Do as I Do" that most of us learned early in our magic careers can be killer, especially with good presentation.
JoeHohman
View Profile
Special user
Erie
706 Posts

Profile of JoeHohman
What do Salmoniius and I win?

Thanks for this thread, EndersGame. This was fun; and it is hard to disagree with "Do As I Do" as one of those tricks with a high impact/difficulty ratio. Still gets a great response; there is something special about the look in your spectator's eyes when YOU turn your card over before they turn over theirs. (At least, that's how I perform it....)
dustrod
View Profile
Loyal user
Western Wisconsin, USA, Earth
233 Posts

Profile of dustrod
I don't get the credit for being awesome and having a super amazing memory now but I was going to guess Do As I Do.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2022, EndersGame wrote:

..The key card method is a humble tool we can easily overlook, and sometimes these simple tricks like "Do as I Do" that most of us learned early in our magic careers can be killer, especially with good presentation.

Yes, and another wonderful trick the key card method makes possible is the old Circus Card Trick. When you get a good handle on the basics of it, you can present the trick in a variety of different ways, thanks to the “key.” 😉

Great post, Enders. 👍🏽
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
EndersGame
View Profile
Inner circle
Reviewer EndersGame
2198 Posts

Profile of EndersGame
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2022, Mb217 wrote:
Yes, and another wonderful trick the key card method makes possible is the old Circus Card Trick. When you get a good handle on the basics of it, you can present the trick in a variety of different ways, thanks to the “key.” 😉

For sure, I love that one too.

It's also in RRTCM, but in a different chapter (under "False Cuts and Shuffles").
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » GUESS THE TRICK "The trick now to be described has without doubt surprised & puzzled more people..." (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL