The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mentalplay App by Nelson Suárez (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
David asecas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of David asecas
There are some differences I want to clarify with duality:

with mentalplay the word is totally free choice!!!! , in duality it is from a list of 100 words or numbers …(countries, names, etc)

with duality you have to wear black clothing or a black cover of the same color as the text to be camouflaged, this is complicated and has its limitations.
with mentalplay ( color filter festure ) GAME CHANGER!! you can wear any color of clothing or cover, this has great technology that analyzes pixel by pixel and it only displays the text on a white background.

with mentalplay you can use different numpad videos, and create a sequence with various predictions.

this is in landscape not portrait mode, this is fine for a projector or screen

it also has different integrations like inject and vimeo (hand out, perfect to zoom)

soon integration with kinectic dice, timesmith, wikitest. etc.

There are also some project videos included (airport prediction, printer prediction, graffiti prediction and soon new scenarios....

It also has other features like adding one or more force lists.

the quality of the videos exported with duality is very bad, mentalplay exports the videos at very good quality in full hd and not compressed

I think you are comparing a Ferrari with a BMW
Roberto W
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Umm just a few clarifications which the comments above are incorrect…
You can input ANY word, number etc as there is a function that allows you to do this meaning you are not just restricted to lists 1-100
The quality of the processed vid used to not be very good, but that has now been fixed and it’s the same quality as the video that actually plays.
I agree the colour feature with mental play is a plus BUT you don’t have to wear black (colour feature soon to be added) All it means is wearing/showing a similar colour to what your font colour is - but you can use any colors you want.

It literally comes down to the premise - personally I think it’s far stronger a video currently playing continuously then revealing the prediction, than you having to know in advance a choice, scrolling/inputting on the screen, then playing a video.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6102 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2022, Roberto W wrote:

It literally comes down to the premise - personally I think it’s far stronger a video currently playing continuously then revealing the prediction, than you having to know in advance a choice, scrolling/inputting on the screen, then playing a video.

This is the major difference between the two to me. Magicians and mentalists are quick to view them as almost the same thing but from an audiences standpoint I think they seem like two entirely different effects. I agree that Duality is stronger IMO but it’s not simply a matter of which is the stronger effect, there are other factors that come into play as well.

Playing a video prediction AFTER the selection has been made, as you do with Mental Play, seems very much like just another reveal of a prediction (albeit an extremely good one) and most everyone has seen a performer reveal a prediction in various ways at one time or another, so I think in the audiences mind it is not as memorable as it may be viewed as just another prediction effect. [not that prediction effects aren’t extremely powerful because they certainly are]

Whereas with Duality having the selection made while watching the video itself and then revealed as part of the same video is much more novel, unexpected and surprising than simply revealing your prediction through the use of a video. So Mental Play is more like a high tech version of having an envelope containing your prediction in full view as you begin your performance and then revealing its contents at the climax. But Duality is unlike anything most people will have seen or experienced before.

There’s also another aspect to Duality which I quite like, and that is that you can get into it very sneakily where they never see it coming. With so many effects the audience can recognize that a magic effect is beginning almost instantly. Sometimes that's good but in more casual performances I personally prefer to avoid telegraphing that I’m performing a magic effect from the start. IOW, you can just say “hey, I made this video last week check it out” and they begin to watch, unsure of where it’s going, then suddenly they are being asked to interact with the video which is unusual and something they almost certainly weren’t expecting, and then something really amazing and surprising happens at the climax. So in 60 seconds you’ve done a very amazing and unusual (i.e. memorable) effect for them without having to do much more than hit play and quietly stand there holding your phone. This acts as a great lead-in to other effects without ever having to wear a flashing neon sign that says I'M A MAGICIAN! That’s one of my favorite things about Duality. It can be powerful as a feature in a big formal show but can fit equally well in a totally casual impromptu performance.

But as my buddy Nathan posted previously, they are both great apps and there is certainly a place for both of them. I will no doubt own both of them eventually too.
How much can you get for plasma these days Nathan? 😃
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2773 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Steve Skindell had a youtube centric app that would load prediction video with a BT Remote. Years ago.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2022, videoman wrote:

This is the major difference between the two to me. Magicians and mentalists are quick to view them as almost the same thing but from an audiences standpoint I think they seem like two entirely different effects. I agree that Duality is stronger IMO but it’s not simply a matter of which is the stronger effect, there are other factors that come into play as well.

Playing a video prediction AFTER the selection has been made, as you do with Mental Play, seems very much like just another reveal of a prediction (albeit an extremely good one) and most everyone has seen a performer reveal a prediction in various ways at one time or another, so I think in the audiences mind it is not as memorable as it may be viewed as just another prediction effect. [not that prediction effects aren’t extremely powerful because they certainly are]

I imagine Mentalplay can have same effect like Duality (spectators show their choices while the video is playing), you open the video page and ask a spectator to mix rubik cube inside paper bag, another to google something using Inject and third spectator to choose a card, no one knows their choices , you play the video, while the video is playing ask them to show the cube, the Google search and the f*#$*d card and they will match the playing video outcome, not only this , the video link is shared beforehand with the host and there is QR code in the full view all the time contains the link to the backdated video which all spectators can watch after and remember this amazing memory, or you can share with them your facebook and they will find the video shared in your page before 1 month. Like this Mentalplay can play for big audiences and give them something to remember. Also -as I said before- since the video is already on the Vimeo website before few days the spectator will not think you can manipulate the video there which adds another layer of impossibility.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2022, David asecas wrote:
There are some differences I want to clarify with duality:

with mentalplay the word is totally free choice!!!! , in duality it is from a list of 100 words or numbers …(countries, names, etc)

with duality you have to wear black clothing or a black cover of the same color as the text to be camouflaged, this is complicated and has its limitations.
with mentalplay ( color filter festure ) GAME CHANGER!! you can wear any color of clothing or cover, this has great technology that analyzes pixel by pixel and it only displays the text on a white background.

with mentalplay you can use different numpad videos, and create a sequence with various predictions.

this is in landscape not portrait mode, this is fine for a projector or screen

it also has different integrations like inject and vimeo (hand out, perfect to zoom)

soon integration with kinectic dice, timesmith, wikitest. etc.

There are also some project videos included (airport prediction, printer prediction, graffiti prediction and soon new scenarios....

It also has other features like adding one or more force lists.

the quality of the videos exported with duality is very bad, mentalplay exports the videos at very good quality in full hd and not compressed

I think you are comparing a Ferrari with a BMW

Good to hear that there are integrations under development with kinectic dice, timesmith and wikitest.
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
616 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2022, magicmind wrote:
Steve Skindell had a youtube centric app that would load prediction video with a BT Remote. Years ago.

I can't find this app, do you have a link?
Thanks
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2773 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2022, Maxy wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2022, magicmind wrote:

I can't find this app, do you have a link?
Thanks

Had...years ago. It is no longer available. Maybe he will chime in.
David asecas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of David asecas
In duality I understand that for the word to be completely free of choice, an external or mobile device must be used, that is, you need an assistant, with mentalplay this is not necessary, you can use it with cover typing , inject or wikitest. the differences are many I know there are many friends in this forum with the guys from cobra magic, but the differences are very big, mentalplay has color filter feature (game changer) you don't need to use the exact same color of clothing or cover as the text to camouflaje
Roberto W
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
But this coming and in the works, again it all comes down what you feel is a stronger premise and how you think a spectator views it. The whole needing to be sane colour as the reveal is magician thinking and a spectator is not going to suspect this.

If you feel it’s stronger that a spectator gives their selection before the vid plays or you doing something to your phone before the vid plays etc over a vid already running then the prediction reveals with no stops etc then fine. But personally with everyone knowing how a playing video works, to a spectator this imo is impossible.
David asecas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of David asecas
It is impossible for the viewer to think that there are many videos, since so many combinations would be impossible because the program does the editing at the moment for you, plus you open the video before the elections and ask for a name, word, etc. it would be unthinkable.
darrylrose
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of darrylrose
This app is a must and reputation maker...simply fantastic!
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
There has been CubeSmith integration promised with this program for over a year now...anybody got the scoop on when it should be rolled out?
Roberto W
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2022, David asecas wrote:
It is impossible for the viewer to think that there are many videos, since so many combinations would be impossible because the program does the editing at the moment for you, plus you open the video before the elections and ask for a name, word, etc. it would be unthinkable.

But the video is not constantly playing as the selections are being made. It’s horses for courses between this and duality however I would love to be able to get genuine lay peoples opinion on this and duality and according to them, which they found more impressive - would be interesting from a lay persons perspective.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6102 Posts

Profile of videoman
Maybe I’m missing something here but I’ve read multiple times where people are all crazy over the color filter announcing it as a game changer, etc.

Even on the Duality FB page people were requesting it from the get go. But it never made any sense to me. What difference does it really make if you are using a black cover or a green cover. I guess maybe if you want to step aside for the reveal and be able to wear a red shirt, is that it?

I mean I could understand that I guess but still seems like a very small incremental improvement in the overall scheme of things. I tend to think its more magician thinking than an actual improvement but that’s just my opinion.
Roberto W
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Yes I have to agree - this is pure and simply magicians thinking. It’s being made out that the spectators may think “hmmm the colour of the prediction is the same colour of the clothing, that’s a bit suspicious, I wonder if the secret is anything to do with that” lol

Spectators will come no where near close to even thinking this. I do however think yes it would be an advantage to have the colour filter in duality, just purely from a flexibility side, but this no where near diminishes the strength of the effect - why, because this makes zero difference to a spectator and gives zero clue to any method etc. it’s purely just an additional flexibility function allowing no restrictions in what you wear compared to the font colour.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Nobody ever said that not having the colour filter feature diminishes the effect (at least from what I've read).

It's just like the last two posts have said - it'd just be an extra advantage because you'd have less restrictions and more flexibility.

Other things in the app bother me much more than the lack of this feature, such as not being able to scrub through the timeline when editing, having to fine-tune predictions, the fact that you can't adjust the fine tuning a bit at a time but instead it's a tiny slider that you have to use with your finger and it has absolutely zero finesse, the fact that you can't fine-tune and see the results real-time so you're constantly going back and forth between adjusting and checking how it looks.

Overall though, I really like this app. It started off as absolute trash, and then they fixed most of it.
Roberto W
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
I don’t know what you mean about the fine tuning, you can literally press each millisecond until you get to the exact bit you need for the perfect entry and exit timing - you can forward/rewind in the time line then fine tune by pressing the arrows to the exact position you want to edit?
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1983 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2022, Roberto W wrote:
I don’t know what you mean about the fine tuning, you can literally press each millisecond until you get to the exact bit you need for the perfect entry and exit timing - you can forward/rewind in the time line then fine tune by pressing the arrows to the exact position you want to edit?

Fine tuning literally means fine tuning, it's a specific "feature" (a.k.a. annoying necessity) in Duality (called "fine tuning") to get the prediction to show up in the same position in the exported video as it does in the app.
Roberto W
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Yes that’s because of different formats etc depending on peoples phones. But it doesn’t take that long to fine tune, just the odd adjustment here and there to make it look as it does when the vid plays. That’s only of course if you want to export it and send on. I get what you mean with it being annoying to have to do it and yeah ideally you shouldn’t really have to do it, it should just save exactly as when it plays.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mentalplay App by Nelson Suárez (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL