The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Repairing Silk (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Is it possible to repair small rips in your silk?

I foolishly used my 20th century silk to repair a coin gimmick and got a small (less then 1 cm) round cut in it Smile

My bad.

I wonder if I can avoid for the rip to enlarge, or mask it in some way.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2022, ltrblst wrote:
Is it possible to repair small rips in your silk?

I foolishly used my 20th century silk to repair a coin gimmick and got a small (less then 1 cm) round cut in it Smile

My bad.

I wonder if I can avoid for the rip to enlarge, or mask it in some way.

Sew the hole together with silk thread and a fine needle.
Cut a small piece from another silk, like those 9 inch silks for TT's, or just use a small drop of Elmer's Glue, to glue the small piece over the hole. Elmer's dries clear. I believer there are other clear farbic glues at Fabric stores.

If you have a Girlfriend, Mother, Grandmother, sister, Aunt, ask them if they can help you.

Nothing will make it invisible. So if the patch will bother you, then just buy another silk from the company you purchased the trick from.
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jan 24, 2022, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Cut a small piece from another silk, like those 9 inch silks for TT's, or just use a small drop of Elmer's Glue, to glue the small piece over the hole. Elmer's dries clear. I believer there are other clear farbic glues at Fabric stores.

If you have a Girlfriend, Mother, Grandmother, sister, Aunt, ask them if they can help you.

Nothing will make it invisible. So if the patch will bother you, then just buy another silk from the company you purchased the trick from.

Thank you, I will try that way and see how it turn out.

I use the silk for just that trick (and the smaller one with the TT) so if the result is decent and will prevent the silk from ripping through I'm fine with that.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4889 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:

So you go out and buy silk thread and a fine needle. Take the time to try and sew up the rip. Not really worth the effort. Just buy a new silk.
Where the magic begins
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jan 27, 2022, Dave Scribner wrote:
So you go out and buy silk thread and a fine needle. Take the time to try and sew up the rip. Not really worth the effort. Just buy a new silk.

Unfortunately I ripped the gimmicked silk, so I should buy a new set, which I am not because I perform with the silk just once in a while.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20533 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Rather than using Elmer's glue invest in a small bottle of Frey-Check (about $3.00 at WalMart). It is washable, invisible, and works well for corners and other silk problems.

If you cut holes in your Knots-Off silk it is great there to preventing deteriorating edges around the cuts.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
Quote:
On Jul 26, 2022, Bob Sanders wrote:
Rather than using Elmer's glue invest in a small bottle of Frey-Check (about $3.00 at WalMart). It is washable, invisible, and works well for corners and other silk problems.

If you cut holes in your Knots-Off silk it is great there to preventing deteriorating edges around the cuts.

Thank you for the suggestion!
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
I've used Fray Check before. I just tried June Taylor Fray Block. It dries perfectly soft on the edges.
For reviews, Google: Fray Check vs Fray Block.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Repairing Silk (5 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL