The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Making Magic by Martin Lewis (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I'm reminded of one other Martin Lewis encounters. It was about a month and a half ago maybe 2 months ago when I was over there maybe a little bit longer and he showed me this card effect. It uses a double blank deck of cards and he had me pick a number between 15 and 50. Prior to this he explained to me that he had a favorite card and he wanted to reveal it in a very special way. Offhand I can't remember what the number was I think it was 34 that I picked and he counted down 29 cards and he hesitated for a minute and said what was your number again and I said 34 and he counted down the remaining number of cards and sure enough when he got to the 34th card it was printed on both sides and it was his chosen card. He handed me the deck which up to this point I thought he was using a brainwave deck just using double blanks slightly rough and smooth together but to my amazement they were ungimmicked cards! He even told me go ahead try to pull them apart you will see there is no rough and smooth they are just normal cards. Thankfully he then taught me the effect. To this day I call it my Martin Lewis card effect. I've performed it for several people of course the very first time I performed it was for my wife and she absolutely loved it and so has everyone else who I've shown this to.

Good magic to all,

Eric
cpatchett
View Profile
Veteran user
My current prediction is that I have
337 Posts

Profile of cpatchett
Love Martin’s mind! Just ordered a copy.
Magician: Someone willing to spend $15 to learn how to make $1 disappear.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I could not agree more with you! I honestly feel we are so fortunate for the contributions made to magic from Martin Lewis. What I think I enjoy most about this book is the thoughts that he is able to put into print that gives you kind of the backdrop of the effect itself. So far I have to admit I am enjoying it a lot!

Good magic to all,

Eric
bekralik
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1357 Posts

Profile of bekralik
I also ordered the book along with some other items.
Eric, is that card effect he taught you a few messages above in it?l (I haven’t received my copy yet)? Sounds like an amazing ungimmicked version of Quantum Deck, at least from the description.

I would’ve loved to have seen these great magicians on cruises. I’ve been on a few cruises in the past but they never have magicians. Which cruise lines are the magicians on?

Brian
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
163 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, bekralik wrote:
I also ordered the book along with some other items.
Eric, is that card effect he taught you a few messages above in it?l (I haven’t received my copy yet)? Sounds like an amazing ungimmicked version of Quantum Deck, at least from the description.

I would’ve loved to have seen these great magicians on cruises. I’ve been on a few cruises in the past but they never have magicians. Which cruise lines are the magicians on?

Brian

It sounds like Barrie Richardson's Impromptu Card at Any Number.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

That particular effect is not covered in the book. It was something that he showed me after the book was written and he was waiting for the copies to arrive. I'm not sure exactly how long he knew this particular handling but he was running some ideas by me when he first showed it to me. I have to admit at first it completely fooled me very badly like I said to the point where I thought he was using a double blank brainwave deck. I am not familiar with Richardson's handling so I cannot compare the two.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Okay I was able to find a video of the impromptu card at any number that was referenced above. After viewing the video it is not the same handling. But now I am very interested in getting that particular handling I really like it a lot as well!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Jacob Hanley
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Jacob Hanley
Hey All, I want to purchase this, and got the email from Susanne, but I am not sure of the difference between the "regular one" and the "presentation copy." Apologies as I have not heard the second term before. What is the difference?

I have almost everything Martin has released and appreciate everything he has put out. Susanne shared (email and the website) that Martin has been placed on hospice care, so please keep them in your thoughts. I know we do not live forever, but gosh these reminders kick you in the gut sometimes.
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2482 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Luke, I think presentation copy is signed but not numbered
Jacob Hanley
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of Jacob Hanley
Quote:
On Aug 22, 2022, dooblehorn wrote:
Luke, I think presentation copy is signed but not numbered

Thank you, appreciate it.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Yes it is stamped presentation copy and sign by Martin himself. And I know what you mean about the kick in the gut. I have to admit that he has fought this fight very bravely for the past couple of years and it just really seemed to take a quick turn within the last month to month and a half. I think it is really great though that he had a chance to complete this book and I know how much he put into it and I'm sure he would be glad to know that it is selling very well! And on a side note I think it's great that the magic community is able to give him such a great send-off! We always talk about supporting the inventors and authors of magic and this is basically putting our money where our mouths are. And man what a great book!

Good magic to all,

Eric
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Martin has sadly passed away. Now is as good a time as any to pick up a copy of this and appreciate his work. I'm looking forward to all it has to offer.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
allignatius
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of allignatius
Quote:
On Aug 18, 2022, The great Gumbini wrote:
I'm reminded of one other Martin Lewis encounters. It was about a month and a half ago maybe 2 months ago when I was over there maybe a little bit longer and he showed me this card effect. It uses a double blank deck of cards and he had me pick a number between 15 and 50. Prior to this he explained to me that he had a favorite card and he wanted to reveal it in a very special way. Offhand I can't remember what the number was I think it was 34 that I picked and he counted down 29 cards and he hesitated for a minute and said what was your number again and I said 34 and he counted down the remaining number of cards and sure enough when he got to the 34th card it was printed on both sides and it was his chosen card. He handed me the deck which up to this point I thought he was using a brainwave deck just using double blanks slightly rough and smooth together but to my amazement they were ungimmicked cards! He even told me go ahead try to pull them apart you will see there is no rough and smooth they are just normal cards. Thankfully he then taught me the effect. To this day I call it my Martin Lewis card effect. I've performed it for several people of course the very first time I performed it was for my wife and she absolutely loved it and so has everyone else who I've shown this to.

Good magic to all,

Eric

This sounds like a version of Barrie Richardson’s ACAAN, performed with a blank deck… which seems to be coming up a lot lately, probably because it’s an un-gimmicked alternative method to achieve the same effect as Craig Petty’s Quantum Deck which was released earlier this year.
allignatius
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of allignatius
Please disregard my previous post, I just saw that my observation had already been made & addressed just a few posts above... I ordered the book a few days ago on the strength of the great praise on this thread! Excited to receive it, but by the same token quite sad to hear of Martin's passing.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

He was definitely one of a kind. As I have said elsewhere I honestly wish everyone who really enjoys the art of magiculd have met him. He was so hospitable and down to earth and loved to share his wealth of knowledge with magicians. Time and time again I was taken by how open he was with me during our conversations. Several times I would think to myself wow this is Martin Lewis speaking to me about his knowledge of magic! And yet I felt so absolutely comfortable around him he simply had this way about him. And so much of that comes through in this wonderful book of his. It's as close as you can get to sitting down and learning an effect and the thoughts behind it from the man who created it. I know people will not be disappointed in this book and I am so glad he was given the opportunity to write it before his passing.

Good magic to all,

Eric
danHumphrey
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of danHumphrey
Hi Eric,

I've just received my copy and I'm really looking forward to reading it in detail.

It doesn't matter at all to me, but I did notice a printing issue in that the table of contents has mis-indexed the start of the Close-Up section of the book - Close-Up Cardiographic is listed as being in the Parlour and Stage section.

This is a really minor thing for me (and I'm sure most other readers), but as you seem to know the family, I'll leave it to your discretion if you feel that it can (and should) be addressed in a subtle way with Susanne for future print runs.

This looks like a fantastic book that I'll learn a lot from!

Cheers,
Dan
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Thank you Dan for pointing that out. When I get home I will check my copy as well to see if it was in there. Honestly I did not notice that but thank you for pointing it out to me and I will update you.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

I will also be checking to see if there will be any more printed in the future. I simply don't know.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Making Magic by Martin Lewis (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL