The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Constructing a Floating Table (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa/Barcelona
247 Posts

Profile of alekei
Hello!!

I know there are very good, top quality floating tables out there in the market (i.e. Losander's). But I don't have the money to buy them.

Is it possible to construct it? Can I make it with lightweight wood? Or another material painted to give the illusion of a very heavy table?

Please, any ideas? I'd appreciate them a lot. (PM me if something secret must be told.)

Thanks!!!

Alejandro.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
Do yourself a big favour and save up the money to buy one from Lossander. I know it's not what you want to hear but is the best advice I can give you.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
alekei
View Profile
Loyal user
Dubai/Lisboa/Barcelona
247 Posts

Profile of alekei
Yes Peter, I really would like to! I'd love to buy Losander's table. What can I do if I don't have the money?

Right now I have a lot of expenses and it's impossible to save the money it requires.

But I swear that the day I have the money, I WILL buy one!....just I'm trying to get a "meanwhile" to do that beautiful effect.

With kindest regards,

Alejandro.
magia355
View Profile
Regular user
Virginia, USA
173 Posts

Profile of magia355
There are a few methods of building this effect, however, I have to agree with Peter that you will be better of purchasing the item. It is not easy to build the effect, but anyway, if interested send me a private e-mail.
Carron
View Profile
Special user
UK
958 Posts

Profile of Carron
Chances are even if you try your very best and build your own you're going to end up with a second rate prop. Definitely save; you'll be thankful for this advice when you have your own table.

Tom
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
I have seen one up close. My friend has one and it would be easy for anyone with some carpentry skill to make one.
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1671 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
it would be easy for anyone with some carpentry skill to make one.

And then what do you do for the refinements on the floatation system, which was developed by Tommy Wonder, licensed only to Losander for his Floating Table?

C'mon guys. Support the creators who put in a lot of R&D time and money to make things as perfect as can be. The cheap knock-offs of Losander's table are already showing up from India and elsewhere, on eBay and even from a few "legit" dealers who should know better (shame on them).

If someone is a talented woodworker and just wants to make one for the joy of doing it and/or to customize the design then at least have the courtesy of contacting Losander and working out some arrangement for a licensing fee to build and perform your own version based on his and Tommy Wonder's R & D.
whitelephant
View Profile
New user
Jerusalem
97 Posts

Profile of whitelephant
I've got an interesting method (or two) for floating a table from a Dunninger (that interestingly does not have a copyright). I'm really not familiar with the table being discussed but floating a table is an old spiritualist effect...
drink water...
bloodyjack
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle WA
343 Posts

Profile of bloodyjack
This section is for people who want to build stuff. I could understand your point of view if someone was creating knockoffs to sell on E-bay, but an amateur magician that is good at wood work and can't afford the real thing can certainly build his own in my book.
The method is hardly owned by anyone. The zombie ball the effect came from has been around forever. Just because it's been refined does not mean that it's now owned by that person. Personally I have seen the real thing but was not shown the refinements you are talking about. But if building my own I would add my own refinements through trial and error. Does that mean I now own the effect?
"sir i sent you half the kidne i took from one woman prasarved it for you tother piece i fried and ate it was very nise i may send you the bloody knif that took it out if you only wate a whil longer"
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I gotta agree with BloodyJack on this one. Someone certainly has the right to build their own ... particularly if they are not copying someone else's, which I don't think Alekei is doing since he doesn't have access to one.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1671 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I wrote:

Quote:
On 2004-06-28 13:51, David Todd wrote:
If someone is a talented woodworker and just wants to make one for the joy of doing it and/or to customize the design then at least have the courtesy of contacting Losander and working out some arrangement for a licensing fee to build and perform your own version based on his and Tommy Wonder's R & D.

I didn't say you shouldn't make one if you have the woodworking skills to do it, but I do think you should get permission and perhaps pass along a bit of a licensing fee to Losander who, I repeat, did all the R & D on this trick. When you make one you are benefiting from the sweat that he put into developing it. There was no one making this trick until Losander came out with his. (I'm not talking about the older model Floating Tables or Spirit Tables where the performer's hand is resting on the table top and the table appears to adhere to the magician's fingers; I mean the "zombie-style" full-on levitating table effect.)

As far as the zombie principle goes, the refinements/modifications that Tommy Wonder introduced on this are clearly his and he has only authorized Losander to use it, in both the Floating Table and the Animated Sphere effects that are built by Losander's company.
It's a "simple" modification , that's true, but oh-so-simple that you or I and thousands of other magicians did not think of it; Tommy Wonder did and anyone who uses it without authorization is taking his idea.

Maybe ("maybe") I'm being too hard-nosed about this, but I wish Peter Loughran or someone would chime in to back me up on this.
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
Quote:
As far as the zombie principle goes, the refinements/modifications that Tommy Wonder introduced on this are clearly his and he has only authorized Losander to use it

TW got permission from Joe Karson's estate before he even thought about doing anything with the zombie principle, right?

And Norm Nielsen (floating piano) ... I'm sure he's getting a share of Losander's profits?
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
If someone independently builds a floating table without being knowledgeable of another's work then they do not owe anything to the other person. If he were to see the Losander work and then copy it, that would be another story.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
So, since it is wrong to build a floating table that works the same way as Losander's, then I guess it is also wrong to construct any effect that uses any other principle that has already been used? What is wrong with building one if you have the skills and it is for your own use? Has anyone here ever done their own electrical work or built their own deck? Maybe that is wrong too unless you pay the person who came up with the method to build that deck or wire that circuit?
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

As a builder of illusions, and also owning and performing the Losander Floating table, I would hate for the effect to be built incorrectly offering a lesser effect (not saying that this is what would happen but...)

Building one of these whether you are a skilled wood worker or not is not nearly as easy as it looks, espicially when working with the material that this table is constructed out of. Although technically it is wood, it does require a completely different and more intricate skill than working with normal wood.

Again, from a professional standpoint my best advice is to save up your money and buy one.

If you can't afford to do the effect, wait until you can, you'll be glad you did, and so will I.

Best,

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
So, I guess that there is no one else around but Losander that can build a floating table that good? Don't assume that someone here doesn't have the experience in woodworking that is required. You are right in saying that the type of wood used is more difficult to work with, but I'm sure a few of us here could manage. You know some of us do have skills other than magic.

Again, should all of DIY people here pay a fee to someone everytime the fix a roof, fix their car, or make their own gaffed deck? If you put the time & money for materials into doing it, then you have the right to do tackle any project you want.
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Easy Rockstar, I never said any of that, what I said was that it is not nearly as easy as one may think. Period! I never once said it was impossible for others to build and only Lossander can make one, and for your information also it his dad who builds them. He was asking for advice and that is my advice. I also, if you notice in my previous post, I said and quote "(not saying that this is what would happen but...)" end quote. So before you jump on me like Oprah on a baked ham, perhaps you shouldn't assume either and re read my post. Sheesh!

P.
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1046 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Sorry Peter. I guess I did come across the wrong way. Smile I just don't see anything wrong with building one if you have the skills needed.
briansmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
507 Posts

Profile of briansmagic
LOL Oprah on a baked ham -- that's a good one! I'll definitely be using that one....

Thats funny!
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

That's ok Michael, I don't sweat the small stuff! Smile
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Constructing a Floating Table (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL