The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Constructing a Floating Table (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22648 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I have no problem with anyone building their own Floating Table. It is coping Losander's exact design so they can make supposedly make one. Coming on The Magic Café and asking for dimensions or plans of someone table is just wrong. I did not read the person even offering remuneration for the person's information.

I don't know any kind of plans for any Floating Table of any kind. Paul Osborne has not even tackled the project.

And to the person who asked previously, yes Losander invented the Losander Floating Table. The only other floating table in magic that I have seen or heard of is the Abbott's and Owen's Floating Tables that is a totally different method, the hand has to be in contact with the table top at all times.

Years ago, Tim Wright had a large version of Floating Table built and sold it on the magic market. I believe it was the hand in contact method as well, but the table was much larger then the above mentioned tables. Almost the size of a folding card table, his did not fold of course it looked very solid like fine furniture all in white.

You could contact Owen's and ask if their floating table is in their huge book of illusion plans they published. The books are very expensive, see their website for details.
TravisNye
View Profile
Regular user
122 Posts

Profile of TravisNye
I just posted a photo of one I finished...I love it and sold a few to a local SAM group
RonAllen
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of RonAllen
I have a floating table I bought used but I am left handed. I would like to make a left handed gimmick. What is the best metal wire I can use to make the gimmick and where do I get it. It must be thicker than a coat hanger. not sure what to ask for. Thanks
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
538 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
And here's one I made earlier, before staining and varnishing. Works well but I've since bought the materials to make the feet bigger (but haven't got around to it yet!) and there are a couple of other design issues that I would change if I was ever to make another.

Click here to view attached image.
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
153 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Very nice design magicjohn2278. I'd be interested to know what other changes you'd make.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
538 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
A lot of work went into making it look heavy - at a rough count there are over 72 pieces of balsa making this table! A lot of the work went into making the top. But the audience only sees the top for 30 seconds or so at the end of the routine. Most of the time its covered by the cloth! I'd also make it a little shorter. The "floating height" is fixed by the tabletop.but the audience (probably) determine the height as being from the stage to the feet. Making it a few inches shorter effectively adds a few inches to the height it floats.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22648 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 22, 2020, RonAllen wrote:
I have a floating table I bought used but I am left handed. I would like to make a left handed gimmick. What is the best metal wire I can use to make the gimmick and where do I get it. It must be thicker than a coat hanger. not sure what to ask for. Thanks

Any good Hardware store or home improvement store, Steel wire, they usually have it on display in the store in many different thicknesses. YOu will need a good bench vise to bend it, depending on the thickness needed. Or just approach a metal shop, and have them make it for you. You'll need to have the original with you so they can copy the exact forms, only to work from the left side.

If the turn you down, then ask if any of there craftsman do freelance work.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Elite user
Illinois
487 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I used 3/16 inch cold rolled steel rod, which can be found in the hardware stores, like Bill mentioned.
tourmagic
View Profile
New user
33 Posts

Profile of tourmagic
I'm left handed too. When I bought my Losander Table, I asked if he had a left handed gimmick. He said, "No, but I can bend it around the other way for you, or you can do it yourself"
I decided to do it myself, so when I got home, I traced out an outline (2 views) of the right handed gimmick and then bent it to match a mirror view of my tracings.
I've used the gimmick with my table for the last 10+ years.
Tom Tourville
"Magic is all based on guile, and the more experience you have with being sneaky, the more sneaky you can be"
- Teller
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Just buy the book on the floating table.
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
Buy the book. look for it on Amazon dude. don't make life hard.ok.
Jonah_Illusionist
View Profile
New user
Saint George, Utah
16 Posts

Profile of Jonah_Illusionist
Here is my version of the floating table... This is just a test, not the actual routine. I built it out of balsa wood and pine, it was about three pounds to float... In my next version it's going to be all balsa wood and I'm updating the floating method.

https://youtu.be/iXu03YtPcLg

Jonah
countrymaven
View Profile
Inner circle
1239 Posts

Profile of countrymaven
LOok this book up:
How to build a floating table on Amazon. He is a friend and a really good guy. HE helped me get into performing. Very helpful guy helping magicians
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Constructing a Floating Table (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL