The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Linking rings with a loop (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
I have a vague recollection of reading a linking ring routine where the performer has a loop of thread hung round his head which then creates a loop which is placed onto a linking ring.....The problem is I cannot for the life of me think where I read it.....any thoughts.

Question 2. Does anyone have links (no pun intended) to silent linking ring routines?
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.
"Always give 100%, Unless you're a blood donor!"

Exclusive publications available from:

www.solutions.yolasite.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
It may not be the same thing you are thinking, but if I recall there is a linking ring method using a thread in Al Baker's Magical Ways and Means. It allows for a supposed link and unlink with two normal, examinable rings.

Regarding silent routines, I don't know if you are looking for performances or instruction. Richard Ross' routine performance can probably be found online.

Not a link, but there is a 3-ring routine in John Mendoza's The Book of John. Again, if I recall, it uses a single, a key, and one oversized ring. But there are plenty of other phases that could be done with 2 singles and a key. Other than that, most any routine could be done silently.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
I remember the thread method too. I think it was in a magic magazine, maybe Magic Magazine or Genii. Jim Steinmeyer comes to mind as well.
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
Many thanks Gents, I will follow up on your suggestions.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.

Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Pete Biro’s book on linking rings mentions the thread. I don’t have it accessible at the moment, so I don’t know if it adds anything to the other references given above.

Patrick
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
Thanks Patrick I will try and track down a copy
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have used a thread with LR in several ways, but never "from the head."

I'll interested in what you discover.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
I'll let you know.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.

PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
Good luck on your search, this is bugging me now. I only played with it briefly. I remember coming across my loop of thread for this from time to time.
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
I have a short video of the routine so far. Post an email address if you would like to see it.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.

dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
I transpires that Dai Vernon published a handling for a pseudo link using a loop Vol 2 of Inner secrets of magic. This uses a loop that is over his arm prior to tying it on to one ungimmicked ring this then acts as an anchor for the other ungimmicked ring . Following a display which, like mine is designed to show them linked. the thread needs to be broken to allow them to separate.

The set up is, in my opinion very convoluted and to be honest I think this is why no one referred to it in my request for methods. As my method avoids all of these issues serves to confirm that I had not copied or duplicated Vernon's handling OR method. phew!
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Dusty sent me a copy of his video and I can attest it is unlike those of Dai Vernon, AL Baker, etc.

It is also different from a method I learned back in 1960 from an aging magician of little fame.

This practical distinction for me is whether or not the thread is attached to a ring, and therefor, a ring handled by a spectator employed.

Thanks, Dusty, for shaking the dust off of my memoried attempts.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
dusty
View Profile
Veteran user
352 Posts

Profile of dusty
Thanks. My versions allows for inspection immediately before AND after. Also in my version the thread is never attached to either ring.
Regards,

Dusty

aka Max Gordon.

PressureFan
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of PressureFan
I can't find the Vernon handling in any of the Inner Secrets titles. What is the page number?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Linking rings with a loop (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL