The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Big Cats On Crusie Ship (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chimera
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Chimera
Does anyone have any info. on having a show with Tigers and other big cats on cruise ships? I know Rand Woodbury used one for many years. There is a lot I would like to know.

Does anyone know how to contact Rand?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1813 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I don't know how to contact Rand these days but I worked for Carnival Cruise Lines in the early 90s and had the opportunity to travel aboard the ship he was the cruise director of (Celebration.)

Having a big cat on the ship was quite an ordeal. Rand used a cougar and they built a special cage for Geo on the ship. He actually resided in a carefully hidden cage on the topless sunbathing deck of the Celebration!

My assistant, who knew Geo was up there, was sunbathing (not topless, though!) and Geo apparently got a little restless. The other passengers noticed some growling coming from a grate on the deck and figured out that the "mountain lion" is up here!

Considering how much paperwork I went through to get a bunny rabbit on the ship, I can imagine the hoops you have to jump through to get a big cat on board.

Although I'm sure it's quite possible that others have done it, I have never heard of another magician beside Rand who had a big cat onboard.

The first thing you'll have to find out about is what requirements the Department of Agriculture has for bringing the cat back into the U.S. after it's been on the ship. I had to have a certificate from a U.S.D.A. authorized veterinarian about the health of my rabbit but it was a lot more complicated for owners of birds (doves, macaws, etc.) I have no idea what would be required for a cat.

On top of that, you'll have to work pretty hard to get a cruise line to agree with it. You can imagine the liability concerns. I know for a fact that Geo got loose after one of Rand's earliest shows on the ship. He told me about it. He was amazed that he wasn't fired. (He was very young at the time!)

You're really going to have to do a lot of research. You might want to contact the Carnival Cruise Lines Entertainment department to see if they can contact Rand for you. They got him to call me when I first started with them to explain what I needed to get my rabbit on board.

Good luck!

Michael
DaveWomach
View Profile
Elite user
Dave Womach
452 Posts

Profile of DaveWomach
I had a really hard time getting a cockatoo, doves, and parakeets on... let alone a tiger...

Contact Greg Frewin, or his dad Art. They might be able to help.

Dave
Magicduck
View Profile
Elite user
Washington State
484 Posts

Profile of Magicduck
I suspect that, after the incident, tragedy, with Roy this is about 1000 times more difficult than it would have been a year ago.

quack
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Big Cats On Crusie Ship (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL