The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Produce a lit candle (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shorty
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
87 Posts

Profile of Shorty
Hi there
I am looking for a candle I can pull out of my jacket (burning), lite a cigarette and put the candle back in my jacket. I sah this effect many years ago... the candle should not be to big... Can anybody give me a source for that gimmick ( good quality) Thanks a lot.

Best regardes
Shorty
www.shorty.li
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
63 Posts

Profile of Jean André
I wonder if this item may be suitable ? -

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/16462

There is an older method I have read in some old magic books and magazines I will PM you about it.
Shorty
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
87 Posts

Profile of Shorty
Hi Jean
Thanks... that's great.
Greetings
Shorty
rhiro
View Profile
Regular user
Southern California
169 Posts

Profile of rhiro
FWIW, Abbott's used to sell something called a "Miracle Candle." It is listed in my old Abbott's Catalog 24 Price List (July, 1996) as going for $15. It shows up as discontinued by my Catalog 25 Price List (December, 1999).

I've never seen one and can't say for sure how it worked, but from the catalog description (the text below is from one of my Abbott's catalogs), at least you know what it was not. Which pretty much tells you what it was, especially when one considers the 1996 price.

- Ross

MIRACLE CANDLE

At long last a trouble-free, worry-free prop. Remove a lit candle from your pocket at any time in your act. Remove it lit from any type of production apparatus. No lighter fluids to mess with. No wicks to change, No batteries to run down. No wax or birthday candle bits to bother with - ever. Good for over one thousand lights. 7 1/2 inches tall, made from metal, painted white. The "Miracle Candle" has many uses. Whenever you need a light, reach into your pocket and remove a lit candle. It's that simple. No match heads to fool with, no sandpaper to fiddle with. It lights instantly and you are ready. Blow it out and it lights again. Use it as a running gag - great for M.C.s. Many other uses will suggest themselves. You will like and use this prop. Be the first in your area to use it. Complete with full instructions.

Click here to view attached image.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5392 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Interestingly, when I was a teenager (1962) my dad bought me a Science and Mechanics "Magic Handbook". He and I built many of the items featured in it. One item was a lit candle from pocket. In those days no one thought twice about a kid doing cigarette productions, or producing a lit candle from the pocket! My how times have changed! Now even adults cannot perform those tricks and routines.

The candle from pocket used some of the workings (fiddling with...) that were done away with by buying and using the Miracle Candle from Abbott's.

It was a painted dowel, drilled to take two matches and a bit of fine sandpaper fixed above my inside jacket pocket as a striker. Mine was a 1" dowel but any diameter and length would do. I must have made a dozen of those little props over the years.

Keith Clark (Pierre/Pier Cartier) used the same style prop (actually had two identical ones so it looked as if he was using the same one twice).

Watch this TV clip (French TV ca 1958) at about 40second mark to see the candle in action. It was hand carved for Keith. But still a wooden dowel and wooden matches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byZmP4y6m2I
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Produce a lit candle (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL