The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What is the Best Marked Deck for Card Magic? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Golem13
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Golem13
For my money, I think Steve Dela's Night Flight deck is the best! The original version was blue and PVC only (which has its positives and negatives), but the new versions are standard card stock, red back, and they handle beautifully. The markings are incredibly easy to read, but so far not one spectator has picked up on the markings.

I guess because they are so easy to read, you only have to glimpse them so there's no obvious lengthy peering at the backs which raises suspicions. They look very similar to Bicycles and can be swapped in easily enough. No one notices.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1356 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On Nov 7, 2022, Golem13 wrote:
For my money, I think Steve Dela's Night Flight deck is the best! The original version was blue and PVC only (which has its positives and negatives), but the new versions are standard card stock, red back, and they handle beautifully. The markings are incredibly easy to read, but so far not one spectator has picked up on the markings.
I guess because they are so easy to read, you only have to glimpse them so there's no obvious lengthy peering at the backs which raises suspicions. They look very similar to Bicycles and can be swapped in easily enough. No one notices.

Don't forget to mention the price ...
Golem13
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Golem13
Quote:
On Nov 9, 2022, Waterloophai wrote:
Don't forget to mention the price ...

Actually these are very reasonable - order direct from Steve Dela's website and they're only £15 each (same as DMC Elites)
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
663 Posts

Profile of glowball
Ender's game, excellent post thanks!
I do the Nikodemus suggestion of using a mem deck (I often use marked cards in conjunction with my Aronson stack or Seven Queens stack).

If the deck is cut by a spectator and let's say they deal four cards face down the magician needs a way to know at least one of the cards and a marked deck comes in handy. Once one of the cards is known then the magician knows the other three cards from memory and does not have to stare at the cards.

Also doing a trick where the magician's back is turned the whole time is suggesting to the audience "the magician can't be using marked cards because he never saw the deck nor any of the cards when he was doing the trick". Note that the magician can tell the spectators to hide their cards and hide the deck in their purse or pocket before the magician turns around and does his patter. I have done this type of trick using a few breathers or scallops.

After doing the above type trick the audience will consciously (or subconsciously) have ruled out marked cards then the magician can more confidently do tricks using marked cards.
Andy Moss
View Profile
Special user
739 Posts

Profile of Andy Moss
The good old Boris Wild if you have the eye for close up detail! I use this marked deck as my usual deck as it is perfectly examinable. Lay spectators only check around the petals on a bicycle back if they are awkward enough to bother to check the backs at all!

Perfect for a classic such as 'Marlo's Miracle location' as the face down card markings can be discerned from the edge.

Also reverse stack Osterlind B.C.S and read from top. 'Test Card Conditions'.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What is the Best Marked Deck for Card Magic? (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL