The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Coin Video Reviews (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Acollon_5
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Acollon_5
First and formost let me say that I am a begginer. I do have more than a few videos and let me say STAY AWAY from anything by Royal Magic. I wasted too much money buying a bunch of those videos. They are short with little explanation and the little that is explained is very weak. Not worth the $10.

The David Roth series has helped me out tremendously. Everything is explained very well and watching him is definatly inspiring.

But the best video I bought was a homegrown video on the expanded shell. A local dealer made the video and it goes into 10x the detail that Roth's videos do.
Called simply "Shell Shocked" (only on VHS Smile by Barry Taylor. The only place I believe one can find it (and I may be wrong about this) is at http://www.barrysmagicshop.com ( not a plug for the shop, just a great video). He has origional material on it that is just mindblowing. From easy to very difficult.

Mark
jbmagic12250
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of jbmagic12250
I bought the video and did not like it at all. It seems like every trick uses the classic palm. He is also very stiff and not very entertaining. Compared to watching David Roth it's no comparison. Just my humble opinion
trenchant
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of trenchant
Dan Watkins' site helped me a lot in selecting videos as a beginner. I started with Ammar and then went to Roth, although I suspect you could do it the other way just as effectively. Here is Dan's site, so you can check his reviews. They are very complete:

http://www.coinvanish.com/
magicmancas
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicmancas
It may be a bit advanced, but with some practice I would highly recommend Jay Sankey Revolutionary Coin Magic
magicmancas
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of magicmancas
Sorry, I forgot to mention anything by Dean Dill is AWSOME
Rcitgo
View Profile
Special user
Emporia,Va.
734 Posts

Profile of Rcitgo
I second Dean Dill! I have Extreme Dean dvd's and the matrix with backfire is killer.
stevie1
View Profile
Regular user
perth,australia
180 Posts

Profile of stevie1
I'll have to go along with the recommendations of the Extreme Dean set.I sat there going NO WAY !!!!
Dean was a terrific guy to deal with and the shell set he sells is fantastic too.DO yourself a favour if you want a new dvd.BUY them !!
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
457 Posts

Profile of Kingry
The David Stone DVD's have been Re-released. Very good usable material.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
In reply to Acollon_5, I don't know about the entire set of Royal Magic DVD's, but I was very impressed with the Scotch & Soda DVD and thought it was well worth the $10 price. It had a complete explanation of the care and handling of the gimmick, and some very good routines and sleights to boot.

I posted a full review of this DVD at http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......11&1.

There have been some complaints about the compatibility of Royal's DVD's in the past, but supposedly this issue has been resolved and they now play on any DVD player. I would give the Scotch & Soda one a look, I think it's pretty good, and I've already waded through the Roth "Expert Coin Magic" tapes. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
It should be noted, as Mike Close has, that although "Shell Shocked" has some good routines, the performances aren't the best examples of smooth coin magic, particularly when he classic palms. See David Roth for great ideas on covering the placement of a coin into classic palm.

The use of classic palm should not prevent anyone from getting a coin DVD/video. My advice --just learn it. Carry coins with you and classic palm them all day.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Coin Video Reviews (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL