The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Octo SHUFFLED deBruijn Svengali (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
653 Posts

Profile of glowball
I just had an epiphany and as usual some are good and some not so good but anyhow here goes:

The deck is legitimately (by the spectator) riffle shuffled two or three times and then legitimately cut two or three times and two cards dealt from the top and then 2 spectators hold the two cards near their forehead facing themselves and backs of the cards toward the magician and the magician names the two cards from 25 ft away.

The way this could be done using my Octo deBruijn method is to use your favorite mem stack and every odd number position card be cut a 16th of an inch less long and a 16th inch less wide (because the spectator's final cut could be done grabbing the cards the long way or the width way).

This results in a Svengali type deck and even though the riffle shuffles will break up the entire debruin sequence it will not break up the deBruijn pairs that start with an odd number position. This will also make the cheat sheet simpler because instead of 52 possible combinations there will only be 26 possible combinations.

Let's say the translation for the first card is "3" and the translation for the second card is "6" then you look at the sorted cheat sheet below and find "36" and see that the first card is your memorized card 49 and of course the other card will be your memorized 50 card.

Sorted cheat sheet octo deBruijn first cards:
00 pos 1
11 pos 3
20 pos 17
22 pos 5
24 pos 47
25 pos 43
26 pos 45
27 pos 39
30 pos 19
31 pos 29
33 pos 7
36 pos 49
40 pos 21
41 pos 31
44 pos 9
50 pos 23
51 pos 33
55 pos 11
57 pos 51
60 pos 25
61 pos 35
64 pos 41
66 pos 13
71 pos 27
73 pos 37
77 pos 15

Note that the above cheat sheet has just 26 possibilities and the cards are all in the odd number theoretical position.

The second card will be in the theoretical position (even number) immediately following the above first card.

One may ask why have this elaborate deBruijn plus marking plus short cards method and instead just use a deck of DMC Elites or some other popular marked deck?

1. most marked decks cannot be read further than a few feet away (exceptions are DMC Elites and a few unknowns)
2. DMC Elites are not a normal looking back and may have a 10 ft readable range limit, I'm not sure.
3. My octo method is easily applied to bicycle rider or maiden back cards.
4. Since the octo method is marking each card with a value of only one through eight then the markings can be very large and using a binary marking system only three items on the card need to be dulled (1, 2, 4 method see link below).

So to sum up the benefits of this Svengali plus octo plus deBruijn method:
a. bicycle back cards
b. can be riffle shuffled
c. can be read from great distance

To make up this special deck:
1. find a bicycle back that is poorly cut meaning the the white borders are off center a little bit both length wise and width wise (make sure the face side of the cards are also off center a little bit the same way so that when certain cards are trimmed you won't be trimming too close to the indices).

2. arrange this deck in your favorite stack order

3. trim the odd position cards by 1/16 of an inch length wise and width wise (of course trim the wider white borders not the narrow borders). You may have to purchase a paper cutter and glue/tape a template block so as to make your cuts consistent.

4. buy a cheap $7 corner rounder and reround the necessary corners on the cards that were cut.

5. Mark each card with a value of 1 through 8 in a way the spectators won't detect and mark large enough for the magician to read 25 ft away. See the Octo marking link below for a way to do this (there are other ways):

Octo marking method:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=205

Cheap $7 corner rounder:
https://www.google.com/search?q=corner+r......xsrf=APq

If your deck later gets messed up then it's easy to reset it in your mem deck order.

I have not made such a deck yet and is on my bucket list. Any comments or thoughts are welcome.
Larfin glowball
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
653 Posts

Profile of glowball
Note that the one through eight marking on each card of your stack must correspond to the following deBruijn values:
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
653 Posts

Profile of glowball
From a presentation point of view I believe that any of these long 25-ft distance readings must be camouflaged by saying something like the following while they are holding their selected cards:

"I am trying to master body language and facial language that people are unaware of, so try not to react as I name the values of cards and then the suits of cards and I will see if I can pick up on your subconscious muscle twitches and movements, here goes, Ace, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, Jack, Queen, King. I think I picked up a little bit there now let's do the suits. Spades, Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds. I think I got them".

The above is just a subterfuge to give another plausible method than marked cards.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Octo SHUFFLED deBruijn Svengali (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL