The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Svengali help? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
664 Posts

Profile of karnak
After many decades without one, I decided to pick up a Svengali deck, determined to use it in a non-giveaway fashion (meaning avoiding ever showing the cards all the same, instead relying on its more subtle aspects to do miracles like Ambitious Card, Card at Any Number, etc.).

However, in playing with it initially, it seems not quite as foolproof as I expected it to be.

I thought that it would be very easy, if not virtually automatic, to cut the deck (by gripping it only at top and bottom narrow ends of the cards) and always end up with the short/force card atop the lower remaining portion of the deck.

Unfortunately, that seems not always to be the case.

Too often, it just doesn’t work. I cut the deck, but the force/short card sometimes stubbornly clings to the bottom of the lifted portion. (Sometimes, after a fraction of a second, it drops off.)

Perhaps with a bit of subtle finesse, I might get the hang of cutting it so that disaster doesn’t happen. But what about asking an untrained spectator to cut the deck? Anything could happen! (Again, even if the spec must grip the deck by the ends, since I offer it to them while gripping its sides, it still just doesn’t always reliably work.)

Am I missing some basic bit of critical technique here, in cutting a Svengali deck?
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
Magical Moments
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
PM sent.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Svengali help? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL