The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Grabby spectators (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
BlendoSquid
View Profile
Regular user
UK
140 Posts

Profile of BlendoSquid
Grabby spectators are the worst. I was once performing a color changing poker chip routine and the girl I was performing it for knocked them out of my hand!! Smile All because she couldn't fathom how it was done!
I'm now much more aware of grabby spectators so I always perform behind 2" of bullet-proof glass! Joke!! Smile

I think that children are the worst for trying to grab props so I make sure they know that they're not to touch.

Regards,
Kevin Courtney
jasonmcconnie
View Profile
New user
canada
58 Posts

Profile of jasonmcconnie
If you are being well paid and it's their fantasy to grab, grab away.
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
I too have this problem.. always hate this but began to understand that when people grab your things, they see you as friend and not someone who threaten them(normally with family member). The solution I came up is , have some distance between you and them. When they move nearer, you put the gimmick in the pocket and say "lets move on".. All of them know magic are trick. If you want them to feel miracle, make sure you have good switching technique..
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
braabesflaben
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of braabesflaben
I have had this problem with a child last year, luckily there wasn't much to find with the prop I used at that time.
Also found some valuable information in the little darling section about dealing with grabby or loud people.
karlito
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of karlito
I had a grabby spectator grab my extractor. NOOO it's not good enough that you have a free choice of where to slide the card in.. you have to yank the box from my hand. They somehow didn't discover it's secret though! hah
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
964 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
'Grabbing' has happened to me on a number of occassions when performing Garrett Thomas's Stand Up Monte routine. I guess its due to a number of reasons:
You are actually placing the cards in the spectators hands and asking them to turn the cards over - hence they sometimes feel they can turn the cards over that are in your hands also. I generally perform this great routine in bars or on the street and as we know wherever alcohol is involved the general rules of being polite and respectful to any entertainer dimish as the night goes on!
For some reason or another it nearly always appears to be the ladies, they are far more 'grabby' than the guys - it is a lady almost everytime when someone attempts to grab the cards. I generally say 'Please don't grab the cards' (very politely but also firmly whilst looking them in the eye). If they attempt to grab the cards again I simply stop performing and say something like 'what ashame you ruined it it for everyone else' and simply walk away and move onto the next table.
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
I set ground rules as part of my opening spiel, which include not touching the "props which can be quite delicate and expensive".

Which is a flat out lie, of course, since most of my props are made by me out of ordinary things, but it's a powerful mental discouragement that harkens to the "you break it, you buy it" philosophy that stores use.

I also either rope off my pitch with (duh) rope or a row of those LED flicker candles. I like to use the candles to set the "mood" and they're realistic enough looking that I've had people warn me about catching fire... which is when I promptly pick one up and mime being severely burned...

Set the rules right off the bat and practice good crowd control. Hand out or invite people to examine things that aren't gaffed or gimmicked. I always do this as I reset/grab the next effect after I've performed the Cups and Balls.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
charliewerner
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of charliewerner
Shock them with yigal mesika ET!!!
"Seeing Joy, Sadness, Anger,Contempt,Surprise, Disgust,Fear on people faces are the motivation of my MAGIC" Charlie Werner (C.C.L)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Grabby spectators (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL