The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » How to make a knife cling to your fingertips (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Profile of federico luduena
I've been trying to find a source for this feat, to no avail. Not the one in which the knife remains suspended on your palm (back of the hand towards spectators), but the one where it sticks to your widely spread fingers and can be viewed from all angles. Does anyone have a reference? Thanks in advance.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
I don't remember the name, but the gimmick required is a clear loop of fishing line fastened to a length of elastic cord.

The same set-up works well for a rising card effect, ala Jay Marshall. Magic Inc. used to sell the gimmick with instructions.

Julie
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Thanks, Julie. The one I'm referring to is ungimmicked. It looks really good. The knife rests on the fingertips, yet it does fall off. Hand in vertical position, of course.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2022, federico luduena wrote:
Thanks, Julie. The one I'm referring to is ungimmicked. It looks really good. The knife rests on the fingertips, yet it does fall off. Hand in vertical position, of course.

'Sounds like a physical position of your hand/fingers applying proper leverage to give the illusion of "clinging". It also sounds a little familiar and reminds me of pictures in an old (children's?) magic book.

I'll bet at least one Café Member will remember it, too, and give us specifics.

BTW> I seem to remember the set-up with the nylon loop was called... LOOPER. Smile

Julie
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Vernon on Malini by Ganson
David Ben Penguin lecture
There are many other references, but those are the ones I recollect.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Thank-you, RiffRaff!

Julie
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

Thanks, RiffRaff. Quality references!
federico luduena
View Profile
Loyal user
Spain
249 Posts

I found a couple more. Charlie Miller:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuI1QSsc16g

And the Steve Cohen book on Malini (already available). In volume 17 of the Stevens video series, Miller calls the routine "Malini's Knives".

Thanks all for the help!
Obviously
View Profile
Regular user
187 Posts

Profile of Obviously
One of the "old children's books" you recall - may be on the cover of Tarbell, vol. 2.
Also, you may be thinking of Dual Control for the loop thingy.
KarpeNoktem
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of KarpeNoktem
Magic for Kids
Malini's Magic
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » How to make a knife cling to your fingertips (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL