The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rope magic for kids ?! (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Hey hello everyone !

I’m pretty new to kids show but I was doing stand up for the past 10 years !

Trying new things / going out of my confort zone hehe

But I realized that my rope routine wasnt okay for the kids ( flip / sanders routine )
Too complicated

What kind of rope magic you can do for kids ( they can easily follow ) ?!

Maybe a rope thru body kind of routine ?!

Any advice / reference is welcome

Thx a lot
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
Yes, rope through body (I usually use two Pirates and a Princess), through neck, cut & restored, stretching, wrist tie, soooo many.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Professor's Nightmare and call them snakes.
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Thx for the advice !

didn't think about doing the simple and classic professor nightmare with a presentation !

You really think the rope through neck is a good idea for kids ?!
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1167 Posts

Profile of Russo
No - sorry I suggested - was just thinking about rope effects. There's one called the Indian Rope effect - half of the inside of a rope is removed and replaced by a strip of solder. It can be held limp - then half can be made to stand straight up. Same thing can be done with a handkerchief, with a straighten paperclip (or solder) in part of one hem . Placing ones thumb by the clip, can make it lay down and back up - spooky. Again I had a lot of fun having 2 Pirates (boys) holding the 'ropes through body' around the Princess (girl) and YOU, the Wizard 'pulls the ropes and Princess escapes.
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
When performing with the Professor's Nightmare, you can talk about people being treated differently (different lengths) but you should treat everyone the same ( same size ropes) no matter what they look like.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I recall seeing Paul Daniels perform this at the Prince of Wales Theater in London, circa 1981. His patter centered on the 3 Little Bears. It played well for the adults and children.
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Dan Harlan has a good professors nightmare effect called "The Awakening". The gimmick is so easy to use, and no magnets are used.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I learned Richard Sander's Fiber Optics which is a combination of Profs nightmare and other effects.

I found that kids liked it but it didn't get a strong reaction until I started letting the kids participate more. Each time I cut the rope I have one kid hold up his fingers like scissors and I bring the rope to his fingers so it looks like he cut it. Kids absolutely love this and they all hold up their fingers wanting to do it.

I restore the rope and repeat the cutting several times. This bit of interaction increases the reaction to the whole routine.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Simple cut and restored, with kid doing the cutting. Also, linking ropes, with two onstage volunteers. Been doing these for years and kids love 'em.
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
132 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
Fila, if you have Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, check out his Comedy Cut and Restored Rope on Page 241.

I made a few changes for my own use, to use a tote-style change bag, and added some bits of business to make it more fun.

But it's easy to do, easy for them to follow, and your helper is the hero who does the magic to restore the rope.

Since retiring, I've been writing up my routines for posterity. PM me if you'd like a pdf of the way I work this. Smile
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Wow thx everyone for all the suggestions !

I will take a look at Mark wilson for sure.

Playing around at the moment with the classic professor nigthmare.

Thx again 🙏
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Hey ! I was wondering if you had any good liner with the your rope routine.

** Exemple when you make them examine the rope before stretching the ropes for prof nightmare.

When you give the first rope to examine.

- I said examine not destroy the rope !

Second, rope …

- maybe you can jump with it.

Third, one

- maybe you can try to floss with this one.

When they give them back to you.

- thx for the examination. Not I will use my other set !

Not really liner but found it funny haha

Fila
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
This is a fun one for the kids: https://kandumagic.com/current-products/knot-funny

Knot Funny by Jeff Eaton.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Thx for sharing !

Really like the gag in the routine and really different as the usual one !
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2022, RNK wrote:
This is a fun one for the kids: https://kandumagic.com/current-products/knot-funny

Knot Funny by Jeff Eaton.

That's a really funny routine. When I analyze it, what stands out to me is that there are almost no conventional rope effects in it. It's a collection of gags where things keep going wrong, at the Magician's expense: ropes that won't stay tied, ends popping off a tube, tube repeatedly falling out of a box. There's very little standard rope manipulation--no multiple cut-and-restored phases, no complex Sanders/Tabari/Sands rope manipulations. Most of the classic rope routines, to my mind, are entertaining for adults but fall flat with children, at least younger children. What makes the Jeff Eaton routine successful is the steady stream of silly sight gags.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Jerry Hornak. You don't have the PM function on for your profile.
I've also done the Mark Wilson cut and restore routine many many times. I'd be keen to get your PDF file if you would like to send it to me.
Thanks
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Woodfield
View Profile
Special user
758 Posts

Profile of Woodfield
Daryl's Acrobatic Knot plays for all ages. Of course I talk to the knot and it talks back (not vent, I just hold it up to my ear) so there's that.

Woodfield
Fila
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Fila
Noland you totally right ! And just by watching the video a learn a lot about performing for kids !

Woodfield ! Good idea, I always loved Daryl !

Fila
Jerry Hornak
View Profile
Regular user
Northwest Connecticut
132 Posts

Profile of Jerry Hornak
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2022, Al Kazam the Magic Man wrote:
Jerry Hornak. You don't have the PM function on for your profile.
I've also done the Mark Wilson cut and restore routine many many times. I'd be keen to get your PDF file if you would like to send it to me.
Thanks

Yikes! Thank you Al Kazam!
All fixed. PM me your email and I'll attach it to my reply to you.
Smile
Making Happy Memories for Children since 1980!
https://JerrysMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Rope magic for kids ?! (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL