The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Mismade Flag Patter (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The Magi
View Profile
New user
Boise, Idaho
7 Posts

Profile of The Magi
Anyone have any good ideas for patter on the mismade flag? I am trying to depart from the norm on this... actually I am trying to do this on my entire repertoire... but first things first. need help quick, as it is rapidly approaching the 3rd of July (the day before the 4th)

Thanks!

-The Magi
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I assume you mean that you want material to use for a show on July 3.

I suppose it's no good telling you that this is far too little time to practice, polish, and rehearse the patter for a whole routine!

So I won't. (Besides, you'll find out soon enough, the hard way.)
The Magi
View Profile
New user
Boise, Idaho
7 Posts

Profile of The Magi
Yes, you assume correctly; I do want material for the 4th. Yet, in one thing you do not. It turns out that I am very capable of polishing an act this close to the show. Heck, I did a show for these people last year in which I threw in a couple "new" tricks last minute, and did just fine (and they're asking me back this year). I can do the illusion just fine. I am just looking for some ideas on patter, because ours is a little bland... and we did this illusion last year, so I would like to spice it up a little this year.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

- The Magi
digimaestro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of digimaestro
If you read the forums here, the "experienced" wise ones strongly advise against magicians to "throw in a couple of tricks at the last minute"

The very respected members of this community (Peter is one) will probably just tell you to make your own patter up and then practice, practice practice.

Of if you must, see what others are doing, and then CHANGE IT to suit yourself. Or ASK TO USE their material and then CHANGE IT to suit yourself.

Using someone else's patter is as bad as using the presentation that gets sent on the instructions for the trick.

I am relatively new here as well. But I know enough about this community to have never said what you said in the above post to this group.

I suggest you invest yourself in reading the beginner's forums from the start of time. (Even if you are not a beginner)

Heres a good place for you to start:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&10

Although "throwing a couple of tricks in at the last minute and we did just fine" REALLY makes you sound like a beginner.

TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR PROBLEM ---> mismade flag has been discussed ad nauseum with various suggestions for patter thrown around all over the place. Have you done a search for "mismade flag" here?

Please don't take offense. Spend some time reading up on this community.

It may be the best thing you ever do for your act.

digimaestro
The Magi
View Profile
New user
Boise, Idaho
7 Posts

Profile of The Magi
OK, let's try this one more time. I want IDEAS. Not a factory packaged patter. I have looked around, and wish I had the time to do such an exhaustive search the likes of which you speak, but I don't. I am busy practicing.

So, if anyone has any ideas, that would be great. If anyone cared to share their entire patter, I wouldn't complain, but chances are I wouldn't use it all. I do like to see what other magicians do.

And BTW, when I said "new" I was referring to tricks that I have done before. Just had patter tweaks.
digimaestro
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of digimaestro
Good luck with your show.

digimaestro
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What, specifically do you like about the trick? about the flag? about the colors?

What specifically motivates the rolled up paper?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magi
View Profile
New user
Boise, Idaho
7 Posts

Profile of The Magi
Thanks digi. and thanks for your previous post. We could all learn a lot from that thread you pointed me to. I think that it is a very important thing to practice (and rehearse) before you perform. It refines you and it refines your show.

JT - hmm... I don't know. mostly the joke that my apprentice pulls on me when he removes the blue "hanky" ....

and we don't use a rolled up paper. we have been performing it with the change bag, because we find that is easiest for us.

-The Magi
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Re: don't know. mostly the joke that my apprentice pulls on me when he removes the blue "hanky" ....

It's good to work from a play type bit of interaction between the characters onstage.

What is the intent of the 'magician' ?
And what is the intent of the 'apprentice' ?

You have the larger frame, it seems, so on to the specifics.

:) for you about the onstage character stuff.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » Mismade Flag Patter (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL