The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Frankenstein Book Test by Kaleb Wade (108 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2022, Kaleb Wade wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2022, AutarchicFlux wrote:
I generally quite like this booktest and plan to use it with my live audiences, however, in order to add to the information in the thread a bit, and provide some feedback to Kaleb, here are a few nitpicks:

1.) Some of the words in the long word list (I will not divulge them here in order not to engage in an undue amount of exposure) are technically words, and might not be spotted by 99% of spectators as a bit out of place for Shelley's writing style, but as someone who is literally a professor of English literature and philosophy (and has taught Frankenstein,) there were a few that seemed a bit out of place to me.

2.) The text of the book looks largely unsuspicious to most, but to anyone at all familiar with Shelley's novel, several major structural aspects are immediately off, such as the fact that the book does not contain the frame narrative about Sir Robert Walton.

3.) One of the words in the long word list, which I will divulge here just for the sake of clarity - "vegetations" - borders on not even being a word. You will find that it's not listed in some dictionaries, and certainly isn't a word any trained writer of English would ever use. "Vegetation" is already a collective noun. A lot of vegetation is just that - a lot of vegetation. Varied vegetation is varied vegetation. The only context in which one would *ever* say "vegetations" would be perhaps in talking about whole different ecosystems, but in that case, the word "ecosystems" would generally be used. While some of the other "out of place" words are a small quibble, this one does bother me a little. I feel like if I performed this for my academic colleagues, for instance, any of them would arch their brows at the appearance of this pretty-much-not-a-word in my reveal.

There you have it, my three small nitpicks. Am I overthinking it?

Thank you for taking the time to post on this thread. I will try my best to respond to some of your concerns the best I can. I hope this reply does not come across as defensive. However, I hope it will clear a few things up.

1) Although some of the long words may not appear in the original Mary Shelley novel, as I cover in the instruction booklet, all long words featured in Frankenstein are included for a specific reason. All 18 words fit into a system that grants you three to four direct hits of a long word with zero fishing.

2) The decision to omit the Robert Walton framework in this copy of Frankenstein was deliberate, as the flashback element of the book would be impossible to function in that section of the book if this had been included. I have constructed the book with the working performer in mind.

3) The inclusion of the word 'vegetations' has been used to fit in with the Alchemy system as all the words adopt particular characteristics. The word "vegetation" would not work in this system as it is only ten letters long. To my knowledge, "Vegetations" is a legitimate word, even if it does not appear in some dictionaries. I have taken the word "vegetations" directly from a dictionary website. And this is the case for the other 17 words. I understand where you are coming from with this as a professor of English literature, as it could be perceived not as perfect English. I cover this briefly in the instruction booklet:

"Obviously, this story has been SEVERELY edited to incorporate The 18 AlchEmy long words. I understand I will not win a Nobel prize for this story, but this book is for reading minds and not bedtime entertainment."

Are you overthinking? In my honest opinion, I believe this may be the case on this occasion. I can confidently say that you should never have a problem with the 'nitpicks' you've outlined. I perform in the trenches with this book test regularly in a close-up environment, and Frankenstein has endured hundreds upon hundreds of performances and inspection tests. Including inspections from people who have read and voiced they love the original.

Would I perform this for a bunch of English literature professors? Probably not! In the same way, I would not demonstrate a toxic force for a maths professor or an invisible deck effect for a magician. I sincerely hope this information makes you feel more at ease when using the book in the future.

Kind regards,
Kaleb

Kaleb,

Thank you for your kind reply, which didn't come across as defensive at all. I understand your reasoning and I must reiterate that I think this is one of the best book tests I have ever purchased. However, I do have other book tests I would prefer to use that are *even less* gimmicked, were I to perform for my academic colleagues, such as those by Matthew Benjamin. Their functionality is not as broad as yours, and the long word system is not as well thought out to provide the series of hits, such as in your alchemy system. But if I was performing for a group of bookworms or academics, I'd choose those.

Your version of Frankenstein is my new standard working book for walkaround. Thank you for answering my concerns!
Kaleb Wade
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of Kaleb Wade
Kaleb,

Thank you for your kind reply, which didn't come across as defensive at all. I understand your reasoning and I must reiterate that I think this is one of the best book tests I have ever purchased. However, I do have other book tests I would prefer to use that are *even less* gimmicked, were I to perform for my academic colleagues, such as those by Matthew Benjamin. Their functionality is not as broad as yours, and the long word system is not as well thought out to provide the series of hits, such as in your alchemy system. But if I was performing for a group of bookworms or academics, I'd choose those.

Your version of Frankenstein is my new standard working book for walkaround. Thank you for answering my concerns! [/quote]

No worries at all Smile

Thank you for your praise of Frankenstein. It makes me happy that this is now your go-to book for walkaround. Have you downloaded the new hands-off handling titled ‘Frankie Reborn’?

I totally get your logic for wanting to perform with a lesser gimmicked book for bookworms. I perform Frankenstein at EVERY walk-around gig, however, when I’m booked for a house party I don't bother, as it makes a lot more sense to use one of the many books available around their home. I borrow two paperback books and perform a 3 phase routine utilising Marc Paul’s AAA book test and the Hoy book test.

I hope Frankie serves you well for years to come.

King regards,
Kaleb
FREE eBook: Three: https://www.kalebwade.co.uk/three

FREE eBook: Human Cluedo: https://www.kalebwade.co.uk/human-cluedo

https://www.kalebwade.co.uk
Treasure Island - Hacked - Occult - Frankenstein - Cinematic - Afterglow - Human Cluedo - Three
JamJar
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of JamJar
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2022, George Hunter wrote:
This is, for the most part, a pretty useful thread. For the record, I have not perceived or experienced anyone as rude, or condescending, or overthinking.

George

It’s quite possible that I may have come across as rude or condescending. I do have Aspergers and so I don’t always realise I’m being an *** but if I have offended anybody then I can only apologise for my ignorance
Mid 40s guy probably having a mid life crisis, so I started a blog!
Www.mentalistblogger.com
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
No worries, a misunderstanding is a misunderstanding.
The Unmasked Magician
View Profile
Inner circle
If only I didn't have a wife and a kid I would have MUCH more than
2710 Posts

Profile of The Unmasked Magician
Nice to see some self reflection, apologies and forgiving going on here. Good stuff, gentlemen!
Please check regularly if you are becoming the type of magician Jerry Seinfeld jokes about. (This applies to mentalists as well.)
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
^^
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Deeric
View Profile
New user
United States
10 Posts

Profile of Deeric
Will this fit into a back trouser or jacket pocket or do you carry it around during your gig?
JamJar
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of JamJar
It fits in my jeans back pocket, so I’d say it should fit in most jacket pockets too
Www.mentalistblogger.com
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Quote:
On Apr 21, 2022, TheGingerWizard wrote:

I’ve got another confession to make …. (I know you sang that in your head because I’m a mentalist. I also know you are a Foo Fighters fan; If that didn’t hit, it’s your fault, think about it later or something) because I’ve been buying and using book tests for a long time I find it difficult to praise this one without ripping into other book tests to make a comparison, but I think it’s worth mentioning without getting into specifics the ones I have ruled out as I think it can only add weight to my recommendation. I stopped using the pocket MOABT, Area, All about eve, a bunch of Zandman books, Babel, Oasis, Flictionary, celebrity presage and probably some others for various different reasons. I say this only to point out that my opinion is genuinely considered and informed. I am not by any means saying some of those aren’t good, it’s just that whether it was down to size, printing, titles, funky words, too much interest drawn to the book itself or something else, I never found one that just felt ‘right’ for my purposes (an authentic looking and feeling book that can be checked out and dismissed as an ordinary object that is suitable for walk around.) Frankenstein absolutely does.

This sounds like a fabulous and well executed book test - and bravo to the creator Caleb. I intend to grab a copy soon as I am also addicted to book tests. Love them.

However comparing this and saying it exceeds others like the massively good MOABT or my own Celebrity Presage (and all the others mentioned) really feels disingenuous. Maybe for you these other titles aren't as useful, but as performance artists we often need and use different tools depending on the show or situation. Each book test may have strengths/weaknesses (agreed) - but many of the one's you mention might work better than Frankenstein depending on the need or occasion. Your rave review is appreciated, but poo-pooing some of the best book tests on the market seems a bit over the top (yeah, I have a horse in the race - but I'm opinionated because I am also a full time performer). I love to see new ideas, but no matter how good the tool - not all tools are right for every gig or what one might be trying to achieve on stage. There is no such thing as a Swiss army knife book test, and in fact the more that some books try to do - the less good they are.

Also the need to learn 15+ brand new words for a new book test isn't always fun - especially when you've already memorized XX words from 5+ book tests. With this Frankenstein book test it may be well worth it to learn new words - but for me that's a slight put off. I intend to get it though as it sounds like a wonderful addition and tool - however I guarantee you that my MOABT PE or Celebrity Presage won't be displaced - as they are massively powerful tools that may work in different ways and may hit harder and better in some situations.

As a chef or cook, I like having a variety of delicious ingredients. Just sayin'
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
TheGingerWizard
View Profile
Special user
733 Posts

Profile of TheGingerWizard
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2022, saysold1 wrote:
This sounds like a fabulous and well executed book test - and bravo to the creator Caleb. I intend to grab a copy soon as I am also addicted to book tests. Love them.

However comparing this and saying it exceeds others like the massively good MOABT or my own Celebrity Presage (and all the others mentioned) really feels disingenuous. Maybe for you these other titles aren't as useful, but as performance artists we often need and use different tools depending on the show or situation. Each book test may have strengths/weaknesses (agreed) - but many of the one's you mention might work better than Frankenstein depending on the need or occasion. Your rave review is appreciated, but poo-pooing some of the best book tests on the market seems a bit over the top (yeah, I have a horse in the race - but I'm opinionated because I am also a full time performer). I love to see new ideas, but no matter how good the tool - not all tools are right for every gig or what one might be trying to achieve on stage. There is no such thing as a Swiss army knife book test, and in fact the more that some books try to do - the less good they are.

Also the need to learn 15+ brand new words for a new book test isn't always fun - especially when you've already memorized XX words from 5+ book tests. With this Frankenstein book test it may be well worth it to learn new words - but for me that's a slight put off. I intend to get it though as it sounds like a wonderful addition and tool - however I guarantee you that my MOABT PE or Celebrity Presage won't be displaced - as they are massively powerful tools that may work in different ways and may hit harder and better in some situations.

As a chef or cook, I like having a variety of delicious ingredients. Just sayin'

I wouldn’t say I just poo poo’d them out of hand for the sake of it, and I’m sorry if it came across that way. I did in fact try to give the reasons for my opinions which were a big part in why I felt I wanted to give a ‘rave’ review for Frankenstein. Of course, everyone else will have different needs and their own opinions (and maybe it was naive of me to take this as read on the Café!) but that is for their own reviews of which there are plenty on the Café! Frankenstein is genuinely the first gimmicked book test I have felt completely comfortable with and I wanted to share this excitement, and did my best to fully explain why, which to me is the whole point of a review.

These days we see so many ‘reviews’ from clearly inexperienced performers I just wanted to qualify my review and prove my opinions were informed by the fact I have experience of many different book tests. I didn’t just pick this up as a first book test and wax lyrical about it, without a broader knowledge of the genre, I hope that makes sense.

I am by no means suggesting everyone should chuck out their other book tests on the basis of my review. I respect your opinions and your products completely, celebrity presage just wasn’t for me for the reasons mentioned. I mean you no offence.

It all comes down to whatever blows your skirt up I suppose, I still love and highly recommended Frankenstein, but as always YMMV!
Kaleb Wade
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of Kaleb Wade
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2022, Deeric wrote:
Will this fit into a back trouser or jacket pocket or do you carry it around during your gig?

Yes, this fits perfectly in a jacket pocket. The book contains 181 pages, making it the perfect size and thickness to carry around for close-up gigs. Frankenstein would even fit in the inside pocket of Danny Devito's dinner jacket. I hope this information helps.

Cheers,
Kaleb

Treasure Island - Hacked - Occult - Frankenstein - Cinematic - Afterglow - Human Cluedo - Three
JamJar
View Profile
Regular user
UK
104 Posts

Profile of JamJar
Danny Devito is known to carry a pair of slippers and a lipstick in his inside pocket. Are you sure there’d still be enough room?
Www.mentalistblogger.com
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
It’s always roomy in Danny’s pockets Smile
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Kaleb Wade
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of Kaleb Wade
Hey everyone,

While the Café was down, Chris Edwards reviewed Frankenstein on his YouTube channel. You can watch the full review here: https://youtu.be/8OBmpMVRETE

Cheers,
Kaleb

The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

Profile of The Supernaturalist
I picked up this at an auction. Never heard it. Sounds great. Anyone know where I could buy the instructions? Thanks
Kaleb Wade
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of Kaleb Wade
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2022, The Supernaturalist wrote:
I picked up this at an auction. Never heard it. Sounds great. Anyone know where I could buy the instructions? Thanks

Hey,

Are you sure it's my product you picked up at the auction? Frankenstein includes a 54-page instruction book. So even if you've bought this second hand, the instructions should be included, as they come as a set.

Cheers,
Kaleb

The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

It was in with 2 other book tests. A book test by the other brothers that the website for the instructions takes you to a website where I have won like 29 iPhones, and The Satanic book test which has some great ideas, but doesn't come with a book (instructions on what book to buy)and the whole routine is a bit dated, so at first I didn't think this book was gimmicked until I saw the FB principal. No worries, I got it all for a great price????
The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

BTW, those ??? above Originally were laughing emojis
Kaleb Wade
View Profile
Regular user
UK
117 Posts

Profile of Kaleb Wade
Quote:
On Aug 6, 2022, The Supernaturalist wrote:
It was in with 2 other book tests. A book test by the other brothers that the website for the instructions takes you to a website where I have won like 29 iPhones, and The Satanic book test which has some great ideas, but doesn't come with a book (instructions on what book to buy)and the whole routine is a bit dated, so at first I didn't think this book was gimmicked until I saw the FB principal. No worries, I got it all for a great price????

The Frankenstein booklet contains all the workings and ideas, plus it includes multiple routines. So it is essential you have the instructions. I'm happy to send you a copy of the instructions for a nominal fee ???? Contact me at www.kalebwade.co.uk via the contact form. Please include a picture of Frankenstein, just to be sure it’s my version, and not from another creator.

Cheers,
Kaleb

The Supernaturalist
View Profile
Loyal user
The City of Lights
202 Posts

Thank you Kaleb. Will do!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Frankenstein Book Test by Kaleb Wade (108 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL