The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Close up pad (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I am looking for new pad. Anybody know if Murphys STD PAD IS MORE SPONGY THAN THE DELUXE? I want a “ spongier” pad especially for matrix work. Woops, caps….Thanks.

The deluxe looks a little “Stiff in pictures.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
So you recognize that you wrote in caps, even made a comment about it, but couldn't be bothered to edit it before you hit send?

I'd also recommend doing a quick search, you can easily find great things like this thread: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&forum=3
Which I has some good info.

I can't speak to those specific pads (if you have a comparison question about a line of products, you could try asking the manufacturer), but I always read that Patrick's mats are considered the best, and I've had no complaints. Seems like a good place to start, unless you specifically want to stick with the Murphy's ones for some reason.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
So you recognize that you wrote in caps, even made a comment about it, but couldn't be bothered to edit it before you hit send?

I'd also recommend doing a quick search, you can easily find great things like this thread: https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......&forum=3

I can't speak to those specific pads (if you have a comparison question about a line of products, you could try asking the manufacturer), but I always read that Patrick's mats are considered the best, and I've had no complaints. Seems like a good place to start, unless you specifically want to stick with the Murphy's ones for some reason.

so your giving information and use the sentence “Wich I has some good info” but never bothered to re-read your post b4 you posted? You should have fixed that.
Smile Smile Smile 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

I cant spend that kinduv’ $$$ for a Patricks mat personally. I thought everyone could handle my post the way it was written. oh and this is a magic website not a punctual english class 🤣 But thank you for the input. Ill check out the link. 👌

anybody else? tyia.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1367 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Here is my take. I just ordered a mat from Pattrick, much more than I wanted to spend...like most people.
1. The customer service was incredible! He kept me informed thru the entire process.
He also sent me samples with my order so I could compare the different materials.
2. The finished product was the best I have ever used...period. Perfect cushion, just the right amount of "sponginess"
3. He answered my e-mails promptly, even sending pictures to clarify some questions.

I cannot speak directly to the pads from Murphy's, however I have used the pads from Loftus and they
were OK for the money.
You can not order directly from Murphy's unless you are a retail dealer. However you can reach out to Murphy's
and they can direct you to one of their dealers in your area and they may be able to give you some
info regarding the differences.

Best of luck

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Thanks Mark. I just cant afford a patrick mat. Im lookin’ at the Murphys mats. $20 for 16x23 . That is in the budget. I’m just asking if the Standard pad is softer than the Deluxe pad b4 this whole thread was interupted.
This place is horrible for thread turns.
Nev Blenk
View Profile
Regular user
Northumberland UK
127 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2022, Dollarbill wrote:
Thanks Mark. I just cant afford a patrick mat. Im lookin’ at the Murphys mats. $20 for 16x23 . That is in the budget. I’m just asking if the Standard pad is softer than the Deluxe pad b4 this whole thread was interupted.

I have a couple of murphys pads, both the deluxe and the standard. They are excellent value but have quite a stiff flat surface. If you were to chose one I would get the deluxe. Its thicker but has a bit more give. Its hard to describe but they don't have that soft surface you get on for example a Ronjo Magicians Choice pad (which I use all the time). Back Palming a coin off the ronjo pad is much easier than the murphys if that gives you any idea.
I know you aren't looking at a ronjo pad but I wanted to try and give a comparison.

Hope this helps
Nev
Coin & Box - book available directly from me.
https://youtu.be/kAxQ6GRU-RI
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2022, Dollarbill wrote:
Quote:

so your giving information and use the sentence “Wich I has some good info” but never bothered to re-read your post b4 you posted? You should have fixed that.

I cant spend that kinduv’ $$$ for a Patricks mat personally. I thought everyone could handle my post the way it was written. oh and this is a magic website not a punctual english class 🤣 But thank you for the input. Ill check out the link. 👌

anybody else? tyia.

Try again. I didn't correct your grammar, I corrected your etiquette. You basically said "I know I did something bad (all caps), but I can't be bothered to fix it". That's completely different from missing a typo. It would probably have been less work to go back re-write it than to comment about it.
I also didn't even call out (before) that this really has nothing to do with trick coins.

But you want to play the grammar game? Sure, I can do that too. :feeds the troll:
I did reread my post, and I changed it from "Which I found and has some" to "Which has some good info" to shorten it. I missed a letter. My mistake, I agree, and I don't claim to be perfect.
You, on the other hand, used your (belonging to me) instead of you're (you are), and didn't even quote me properly, since "wich" should have an extra "h" in it. I normally wouldn't call that one out, but I'm surprised you didn't just copy it when it was literally a couple of lines back.

I'm done with this now. Want to call a truce?

Back on topic, you get what you pay for. You mentioned that you were looking for a new pad, and wanted a certain kind of sponginess. You didn't specify anything about size or price, so while I recognize they're expensive, they're also much higher quality. It's fine if it's not a viable option, but telling us more helps us help you.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2022, Nev Blenk wrote:
Quote:

I have a couple of murphys pads, both the deluxe and the standard. They are excellent value but have quite a stiff flat surface. If you were to chose one I would get the deluxe. Its thicker but has a bit more give. Its hard to describe but they don't have that soft surface you get on for example a Ronjo Magicians Choice pad (which I use all the time). Back Palming a coin off the ronjo pad is much easier than the murphys if that gives you any idea.
I know you aren't looking at a ronjo pad but I wanted to try and give a comparison.

Hope this helps
Nev

Thank you! That answers my question perfectly. 👍.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 23, 2022, Dollarbill wrote:
Quote:

anybody else? tyia.

Try again. I didn't correct your grammar, I corrected your etiquette. You basically said "I know I did something bad (all caps), but I can't be bothered to fix it". That's completely different from missing a typo. It would probably have been less work to go back re-write it than to comment about it.
I also didn't even call out (before) that this really has nothing to do with trick coins.

But you want to play the grammar game? Sure, I can do that too. :feeds the troll:
I did reread my post, and I changed it from "Which I found and has some" to "Which has some good info" to shorten it. I missed a letter. My mistake, I agree, and I don't claim to be perfect.
You, on the other hand, used your (belonging to me) instead of you're (you are), and didn't even quote me properly, since "wich" should have an extra "h" in it. I normally wouldn't call that one out, but I'm surprised you didn't just copy it when it was literally a couple of lines back.

I'm done with this now. Want to call a truce?

Back on topic, you get what you pay for. You mentioned that you were looking for a new pad, and wanted a certain kind of sponginess. You didn't specify anything about size or price, so while I recognize they're expensive, they're also much higher quality. It's fine if it's not a viable option, but telling us more helps us help you.

Really? Whatta’ tool. Im sure the others see it too. 👌
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:

Really? Whatta’ tool. Im sure the others see it too. 👌

Yeah, I see it.
You're just making yourself look worse.

He didn't call out your mistake, he called out that you noticed it and commented on it rather than fixing it.

Your post has nothing to do with "trick coin trickery".

Quality props don't come cheap, but Pattrick's mats are reasonably priced for the quality you get.

I suggest you call him and discuss your needs. You may be pleasantly surprised. Not $20 surprised but again quite reasonable. I know I was when I inquired about extra mats for a closeup table I bought.

https://www.pattricksmagic.com/store

But if your budget is that severely restricted, you may be better off with a self-made option. These kitchen floor mats from Target make decent close-up mats, but they're rather firm. There may be something similar you can find with more give.

https://www.target.com/p/40-34-x-20-34-n......79622585

Here's one cut into thirds:

Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
My post has something to do with a Murphys practice pad that has some "give" to it for matrix work. I figured the coin guys would be a good place to ask since I was inquiring about a pad for coin work. Nev answered it. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Close up pad (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL