The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » My take on Cross from India (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
I use it as part of a series in coins across.
This is week 8 after rotator cuff surgery.
Prayer, a good surgeon and physical therapy is working.

https://youtu.be/OaucRDoU6RU
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good progress, harris with interesting presentation of story, magic & music. Well done! 😊
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Harris usually when I see someone perform the cross of India it's performed poorly as it can be tricky keeping the coins stacked so obviously I was interested to see your performance.
Whilst only the first phase used the cross of India principle you executed it really well infact that's easily one of the best ive seen well done........also it's great to hear that your recovery is going well.

Here's a typical example if you watch the first phase its very obvious whats happening but perhaps that's the magician in me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEuJxNt68TI
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
This is one of my favorite effects. I enjoy expounding on it now and then. As mentioned, while only the first phase of Harris’ routine is from the Cross of India, it was nicely done. The typical example used only six coins , a major shortcoming, IMO. I always recommend using eight coins, as large as you can handle comfortably. It’s harder for the coins to be counted quickly by a spectator and some of them always stack a little ( they don’t all have to stack, in fact, they shouldn’t because it looks more natural ). Also, there’s a sort of one,two, one, two beat when the coins come in to view , as they’re picked up and as they’re dropped to the mat to show that another coin has traveled.
All of the above describes just the handling of the coins. The patter, misdirection and interaction with the audience as originally taught by Daryl aren’t seen in any of the demonstrations I’ve ever seen, and I’ve pretty much searched them all out. Not getting into that now. That would be another long post.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2022, NicholasD25 wrote:

All of the above describes just the handling of the coins. The patter, misdirection and interaction with the audience as originally taught by Daryl aren’t seen in any of the demonstrations I’ve ever seen, and I’ve pretty much searched them all out. Not getting into that now. That would be another long post.

^^THIS!^^

I couldn't agree more.
I signed up for Jeff McBride's workshop at a recent convention and he taught this. His handling was a performance piece that told a story, not a "demonstration" that simply described his actions.
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2022, warren wrote:
Here's a typical example if you watch the first phase its very obvious whats happening but perhaps that's the magician in me.

Was the first phase more obvious in some way to you than the others? As a magician they were all doing the same thing.

If I'm veing honest, I always thought this kind of display looked extremely contrived. I'm in the more recent camp of wanting motivated actions and magic. I don't understand why, if there are three coins in front of each hand, you'd
- cross your hands to pick up the ones on the opposite side of the table
- partially uncross them
- recross them (awkwardly) in front of you
- then uncross them to put the coins down (magician says: before clearly showing anything)

And then repeat a few more times, rather than just continuing as you are.

Rather than just picking up the ones in front of each hand and doing a simple gesture from there.

Maybe there's something in the classic patter than explains it, but in a video without words, it just seems awkward to me.
If I could truly do magic, and had no restrictions, that's certainly not what it would look like.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2022, warren wrote:

Was the first phase more obvious in some way to you than the others? As a magician they were all doing the same thing.

If I'm veing honest, I always thought this kind of display looked extremely contrived. I'm in the more recent camp of wanting motivated actions and magic. I don't understand why, if there are three coins in front of each hand, you'd
- cross your hands to pick up the ones on the opposite side of the table
- partially uncross them
- recross them (awkwardly) in front of you
- then uncross them to put the coins down (magician says: before clearly showing anything)

And then repeat a few more times, rather than just continuing as you are.

Rather than just picking up the ones in front of each hand and doing a simple gesture from there.

Maybe there's something in the classic patter than explains it, but in a video without words, it just seems awkward to me.
If I could truly do magic, and had no restrictions, that's certainly not what it would look like.

No in that particular performance I thought each phase was poorly executed as you could blatantly see the amount of coins on the table as they wasn't stacked.
Regarding how you pick the coins up , as the technique is a simple one there's really no need to pick the coins up by crossing the hands as the move can be done in either hand quite easily so you can just make the cross as intended ie as a magical gesture.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
The Cross of India should never be performed as a silent routine. The handling in the example video was not at all correct. For a routine with a seemingly simple method, poor performances of it are the norm and do it an injustice. I think it’s a big mistake to try to streamline the effect by using only six coins. There are four phases to the original routine. The fact that the patter for each phase is different aids in covering the fact that the method for each coin’s passing is the same. This, IMO, is the great charm of the effect. But, patter still can’t hide poor technique.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
As a theatre person, the story has always
been important to me. I am humbled by
your kind words. Living in Nevada I had access to lectures by
Darry, Slydini and many others. Watching routines I had read come alive was wonderful.

Harris
Palms of Aluminum Foil
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » My take on Cross from India (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL