The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Must have's for a rope routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3542 Posts

Profile of warren
When working on a rope routine what do you consider to be must have effects and what do you consider to be no goes ?

For example some might say you should always include a phase where the middle of the rope switches places with the ends of the rope whilst the ends are in your pocket etc

An example of a no go might be you should never cut the rope in half with your fingers etc
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9482 Posts

Profile of funsway
I will never use the finger cut.

I always include a move to give the illusion so of them seeing the two segments as separate after the cut.
The method may vary according to the flow of the routine, but I never rely on just inference of seeing the cut ends.

Another must is always using a different technique if more than one C&R is involved in a routine, preferably with a spectator making a cut.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2112 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I dislike moves like the finger scissors because they simply tell the audience one of the methods in play.

In general, I think the right moves are those that communicate what is going on. My first rope routine was about how my mother taught me to tie a knot. It wasn't a sophisticated routine, but it was well received because the real point was the story of my purported incompetence (my audience was made up of grade school children). As long as the chosen effects served to drive that narrative, they were potential add-ins. Anything that distracted from the narrative was removed.

I don't think there really is such a thing as specific effects that must be included in every rope routine.

-Patrick
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3592 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Motivation is important. Why is the rope behaving this way? What are you trying to prove? Why are you showing this? If you repeat a move, why?
Moves should be chosen that prove the effect--false counts can prove the rope was really cut, for example.
I always thought that it is most magical to start with a long rope, and then after all the cutting and stretching, it ends up as one long piece again.
The longer and thicker the rope, the bigger the effect will play.
The effects should be distinct, clear and memorable so that the spectator can describe the routine afterwards to someone else.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3592 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Must have's for a rope routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL