The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » PEACHES-3 easiest passable calc deck for all cards (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
567 Posts

Profile of glowball
PEACHES-3 easiest passable calc deck.

The calculation is so easy that it can be taught to a shill in 30 seconds. I actually secretly taught a spectator's girlfriend the calculation while he was distracted and then did the trick with her as the shill. He was amazed and even she was perplexed how this could work on a "shuffled" deck (she did not reveal to her boyfriend that she was in on it).

PEACHES-3 super easy rules for the shill (for card to number):
LISTEN FOR THE LAST CARD NAMED BY EITHER THE SPECTATOR OR BY THE MAGICIAN AND THEN MULTIPLY ITS VALUE BY 4 AND THEN SUBTRACT 1.

I believe the randomness look of the PEACHES-3 deck is a little better than Stebbins but not by much therefore any spreading needs to be quick and sloppy. But unlike other super easy calculation decks I believe a face-up counting is very acceptable with this PEACHES-3 deck.

The physical deck arrangement is:
----------------------------------
Hearts ascending
Diamonds descending
Spades ascending (uses partnered pairs).
Clubs descending (uses partnered pairs).

This PEACHES-3 stack is based on the LAZY-B5H stack however this PEACHES-3 Stack has the black cards encoded (ah lah Harry Riser) thus eliminating the equivoque that is needed by the LAZY series of stacks which can only do the red suit cards.

Note that this stack is primarily aimed at doing one particular trick (of course you can do other tricks too). The effect on the spectator(s) is for them to later say "I named any card and another person named any number from 1 to 52 and the magician just shook the deck and instantly the card I named was at the number named"!

So even if the deck was in a partially shuffled new deck order it is still an amazing trick in their mind "how did he make my card appear at that position?"!!!

The randomness of this PEACHES-3 deck is not super important as long as It looks somewhat shuffled. This is because the shill takes much of the heat off of the randomness (in the spectators' minds the shill named any number out of the blue so what difference did it make if the deck was not completely shuffled).

I'm making it sound like this PEACHES-3 deck doesn't look shuffled, no, it does look very shuffled but it does alternate between red and black.

PEACHES-3
Rules for the Shill (for card to number):
1. LISTEN for the LAST CARD NAMED by either the SPECTATOR or by the MAGICIAN.
2. and then MULTIPLY its value BY 4
3. and then SUBTRACT 1.

That's all the shill needs to know!!!

Note that the above rules works for red cards AND BLACK CARDS. This is what makes the PEACHES-3 stack superior to the LAZY stacks.

The shill then names the number.

The above calculations are done BY THE SHILL not by the magician.

There's a few easy things the magician must do to make this work:

1. If a black card is named by the spectator the magician then says "do you want to change your mind to another card, like maybe the xxxxx of yyyyy?" of course the magician is saying the name of the partnered pair of the card that the spectator named and we expect the spectator to say no, but if they do change their card then the magician merely says the partnered pair of it (the shill knows to do his simple calculation on the magician's named card if any). Note that the magician will have to do this on average perhaps half the time but maybe a lot less since spectators tend to name hearts and diamonds a lot more than the black cards.

2. IF A BLACK CARD is the card finally decided upon by the spectator then the magician must TRANSFER THE FIRST CARD (the King of Diamonds) from the top of the deck TO THE BOTTOM of the deck (he can openly do this by claiming that the magic powers from the King of Diamonds are really from King Arthur incarnated or something like that or he can merely "shuffle" it to the bottom). Reminder that the magician can do this step before the shill names the position.

3. if a CLUB OR DIAMOND IS NAMED then the magician TURNS THE DECK FACE UP and counts from there (otherwise If a spade or heart is the card suit then the magician counts from the normal face down deck). Note that the magician can have the deck turned face up before the shill names the position.

By doing the above three things the magician has effectively simplified the calculations that the shill has to do.

Note that the MAGICIAN PERFORMING the trick does NOT do any calculating.

Larfin glowball PEACHES-3 pairs memory method (black card pairs, they keep their same suit):
A-8 sounds alike, dead man's hand (aces & 8's)
10-2 dr pepper time
3-5 somewhat mirror image
4-K look somewhat alike
6-9 same symbol but rotated
7-Q movie 7 year itch with Queen Marilyn Monroe
J standalone Jack in position 11

Note for those who like a different pairs scheme then change the appropriate black cards below and of course do the same in your physical PEACHES-3 deck.

Below is the physical PEACHES-3 deck:
KD, 4C, AH, 8S, QD, 7C, 2H, 10S, JD, JC, 3H, 5S, 10D, 2C, 4H, KS, 9D, 6C, 5H, 3S, 8D, AC, 6H, 9S, 7D, QC, 7H, QS, 6D, 9C, 8H, AS, 5D, 3C, 9H, 6S, 4D, KC, 10H, 2S, 3D, 5C, JH, JS, 2D, 10C, QH, 7S, AD, 8C, KH , 4S before doing the trick the magician secretly removes the 52nd card (the 4S a black card) and puts it in his breast pocket or somewhere unseen because it is not used in this trick.

If the spectator happens to name that last card the 4S then the magician has a little miracle: he slaps the deck with his hand and says "I have just made your card magically fly out of the deck invisibly and land in my breast pocket".

Otherwise the magician does the trick with the 51 card deck as described further above and the spectators are none the wiser.

I was going to call this stack PEARS-3 but thought that would be too obvious (this uses the Harry Riser's PAIRS concept) therefore since Peaches and Pears kind of go together and thought this would be a funny play on words so to speak ie to name the whole stack Peaches.

Note that this is a hybrid stack because the red cards use their pure position (either ascending or descending) whereas the black cards use the partnered pair concept (either ascending or descending).

I think this gives perhaps the easiest calculation for a deck with a somewhat random look (the sweet spot trade off that Doug Dyment talks about).
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
567 Posts

Profile of glowball
Number to card calculations are more difficult than card to number in fact I'm thinking of giving up on doing "number to card" and just stick with "card to number" and use several magician friends as shills since it is so easy to do "card to number" (having different shills helps disguise that they are indeed a shill).

None of the "number to card" individual calculations are hard it's just there's a different calculation for each of the four remainders (suits) and remembering them once a month is not easy whereas just doing card to number has a much simpler formula.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
567 Posts

Profile of glowball
Another thing to note is that most stacks that use pairs are doing it within 13 physical cards that are together using a mixture of suits and there are four groups of these 13 cards (tetradistic stacks). What I am doing here is spreading the 13 cards (all of the same suit) every fourth card through the whole deck and only do this for the black suit cards.

These black cards greatly help the random look of the entire deck counteracting the red cards which are much more regimented. But since the hearts are ascending and the diamonds are descending this also breaks up the occurrence of like values except in the middle of the stack where the two sequences cross over (at the sevens and the queens) but it doesn't look too bad.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
567 Posts

Profile of glowball
The magician can simplify this whole process even more by just saying to the spectator "This is a magical deck but it only works on the red number cards, those are the cards from two through 10 and so please choose a number and a suit, there is still a lot for you to choose from".

By saying the above this effectively eliminates the first two steps that the magician has to do (no black cards) therefore the only thing the magician needs to do is turn the deck face up if a diamond was named.

This simplifies the shill rules a tiny bit because they just listen for the SPECTATOR'S card and multiply it by 4 and then subtract 1. Note that since there will be no black cards named the magician will not override with a partnered pair.

This would effectively mean the PEACHES-3 deck is treated exactly like the LAZY-B5H deck.
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
567 Posts

Profile of glowball
The above "red number cards only" is just an optional way of doing the trick if the magician is not comfortable being able to quickly name the partnered pair if a black card is named.

It is also a handy method if the magician doesn't have an extra 15 seconds to explain to the shill that Aces are 1, Jacks are 11, Queens are 12, Kings are 13 and that four times 13 equals 52 (four times 11 is easy and four times 12 is easy but sometimes people can get hung up doing four times 13 because they have to carry the one so it's good to remind them that four times 13 is 52).
glowball
View Profile
Special user
Nashville TN
567 Posts

Profile of glowball
Well, I did the trick at one of our local magic clubs last night, and my shill said the wrong number and I was so involved with my part of the trick that I did not realize the wrong number was said (suspected it was wrong but not sure at the time).

Note I had told my shill to "listen for the last card that was said by the spectator or by me and then to multiply it by 4 and then subtract 1". I even explained that when I suggested another card it was really a signal to him to use it for the calculation.

Here is my analysis and my corrective actions for the future.

The spectator said "Three of Spades" therefore I said silently to myself "it's a black card, therefore I must say it's partnered pair and move the top card to the bottom of the deck".

Therefore I verbally said "do you want to change your card? perhaps to the Five of Spades?"

The spectator said "no, I'll stay with the Three of Spades".

Then recalling my instructions for my shill to use the last card he heard, now I have to say "not the Five of Spades?"

Spectator: "no, the Three of Spades".

Well, my shill was probably in a quandary about which number to use and unfortunately for me he used the spectator's card the Three of Spades to multiply by 4 and subtract 1 and when asked my shill said "Eleven".

I had to finish the trick so: because 3S is a black card I shifted one card from top to bottom while talking about King Arthur and then dealt down to the 11th card and turned it face up which is the Five of Spades (we wanted to hit the Three of Spades). Egg on my face. I did the trick again with a second shill and this time we got it right.

Moral of the story: first it's nearly always the magician's "fault" when something goes wrong.
In my case my instructions to my shill to use "The last card named by the spectator or by me" became fuzzy when two cards are being said back and forth.

The instructions to my shill will now be: "do the calculation on the spectator's card unless I suggest another card then do the calculation on my last suggested card regardless of whether the spectator says yes or no, in other words my last suggested card overrides the spectator's card for your calculation".

Note, for 12 years I taught the Toyota manufacturing philosophies one of which is Poka-yoke (develop methods and devices that reduce and prevent errors from happening) ie mistake proofing.

Even though better instructions should greatly help in preventing this 2 card confusion problem an even better Poka-yoke solution is to use the "red number cards only" method mentioned in an earlier post because there is only one card named thus eliminating any confusion between two cards.

I now look at it this way: If I have a highly trained shill (where I have spent about 15 minutes and practicing with them) then I will tell a spectator to "name any card" but if I have a 1 minute trained shill then I tell the spectator to "name any red suit number card".

If I have a very, very highly trained shill then they know the partnered pairs and thus I don't have to ask the stupid question to the spectator "do you want to change your card to the xxxxx of yyyyy?" and of course I can ask the spectator to name any card.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » PEACHES-3 easiest passable calc deck for all cards (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL