The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Torn and restored book (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Has anyone ever come across a torn and restored book effect? The book would be ~300 pages. Burned and then restored might work too. I looked around and didn't find anything.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23041 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Damon Zale,

Books are very hard to burn, and it would be nonsense to tear out the Pages to feed the fire.

1st it would be against the fire laws to burn something that thick that needs a incinerator, and very hot and high flames.

If people are inpatient as they are burning a dollar bill. I believe they would all leave, because they do not want to wait.
In the end, not much of a magic effect. People are afraid of fire because it cannot be controlled safely.

There is a movie of burning books, look it up. Fahrenheit 451. There has been several remakes of the original movie. Fireman burn books, instead of watering the flames out.
Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Good points. Some context: this would be a book promo type video. Also, I was more interested in torn (ripped) and restored anyway. Granted books are hard to rip also (I've seen a ripping a yellow pages effect sold as feat of strength once).
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2133 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Hi, Damon -

Off the top of my head I don't know of any methods for tearing and restoring a large book (300 pages) or a burned and restored book , but I think it's an interesting idea. Obviously you're not talking about actually burning a real book , no more so than a magician who performs the Cremation illusion (or some variation of it) is literally burning up an actual person on stage, so I'm pretty sure a method could be figured out to present the illusion of burning a book. I remember Penn and Teller had a routine where it appeared as if they burned the American flag wrapped inside the U.S. Constitution (no one should worry, they didn't actually burn a real flag . It was an illusion.) So I'm sure your idea could be staged, just a matter of thinking through the possible methods to appear to burn a book.

One thing to think about is that many (most) venues nowadays do not allow any open flame on stage, so those fire regulations may be the biggest thing to overcome. On the other hand I just noticed on re-reading your second post above that you said this would be for a video production , right ? So that should not present as big a problem, although use of fire on film/video sets is also heavily regulated. Can you tell us more about what exactly the effect is you want to present ?

Hmmmmm... all of a sudden your idea is making me remember the scene in the film "Something Wicked This Way Comes" when Mr. Dark is ripping the pages out of the book and each page erupts in a flash of flame. That would be an interesting effect , to rip out pages of a book that disappear in a flash and then the book is shown to be restored.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6DHtYc3BWg

Damon Zale
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Damon Zale
Quote:
Can you tell us more about what exactly the effect is you want to present ?

I'm an author and I will be doing magic for my fans on my TikTok channel. Most of the things I've recorded are simple visual effects with cards, coins etc. Seeing how books are what my fans like, I wanted to do something with books, so this idea came about. In general, it seems like book tests are the only thing I've seen done with books-but those aren't TikTok friendly. As I recently learned, even something as simple as levitating a book is tricky
due to weight.
I love that video by the way...it gives me ideas.

Thank you so much!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
706 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On May 12, 2022, Damon Zale wrote:
Quote:
Can you tell us more about what exactly the effect is you want to present ?

I'm an author and I will be doing magic for my fans on my TikTok channel. Most of the things I've recorded are simple visual effects with cards, coins etc. Seeing how books are what my fans like, I wanted to do something with books, so this idea came about. In general, it seems like book tests are the only thing I've seen done with books-but those aren't TikTok friendly. As I recently learned, even something as simple as levitating a book is tricky
due to weight.
I love that video by the way...it gives me ideas.

Thank you so much!

Just some quick thoughts.

Carissa Hendrix's book production (aka magic book delivery) is awesome and few are performing it so quite unique. It is in her penguin live video. I've had fun with Joshua Jay's any card at any page. And, of course, a hot book plays very well. In The News can be done with a large, thin book. But for tik tok, I would consider the old egg drop stunt where multiple eggs drop into glasses when book is removed. That would couple pretty well with a hot book or in the news too.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2133 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On May 12, 2022, Damon Zale wrote:
As I recently learned, even something as simple as levitating a book is tricky
due to weight.

How about making a prop book, a realistic duplicate of a real book ? The prop book is hollow , made of balsa wood.
Fedora
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona, usa
239 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Is the book soft or hard back?

if it's the mass market paper back kind you should be able
to tear it like a phone book.

If you're doing it for tic tok there's a lot of ways you could "cheat",
for example, show the book perfectly intact, than make a jump cut
before the tear, pre tear the edge of the book, making the tear
will be a lot easier if it's partially torn.

edit back to the book, make the tear, and you're set.

don't much like methods like that myself, but it's very common in
Internet magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Torn and restored book (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.37 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL