The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Henry the 8th stack acaan deck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
Face Cards only are in calculatable positions.

Don't sell this limited stack short. Why, because the effect is very strong on the spectators because the main aspect of this trick is that a freely named card can be made to appear at ANY POSITION named!

King Henry 8th was a famous/infamous king with his court so I named this stack after him because this stack uses primarily the Court cards.

Features of this stack:
1. very random look to the physical deck (will withstand a 5 to 10 second viewing of its spread).
2. super easy calculation for a shill (11, 22, 33 then add three if Clubs or Diamonds).
3. super easy for the magician to perform.
4. if a black card is named by the spectator the magician turns deck face up and deals/counts.
5. does NOT use pairs.
6. uses all 52 cards therefore magician can count backwards (ie 52, 51, 50, 49 etc) from bottom when shill names a high number (but the highest is 40 so magician may not choose to count backwards).
7. only the face cards are positioned thus named by the spectator.
8. red face cards are ascending, black face cards are descending.

Performance:
Magician asks a spectator to name any face card.

If a black suit card is named then the magician turns the deck face up ready to deal, but the magician asks his shill to name any number from 1 to 52 but of course the shill will secretly use the spectator's named card to apply the formula below to name the position:

Jacks are 11
Queens are 22
Kings are 33
If CLUBS or DIAMONDS then add 3.

After the shill names a number the magician says to the spectator "I will now magically make your card move to that position". Then the magician gives the deck a shake, pauses, and then starts dealing/counting the cards and of course hits the target card on the nose!

Below is the 52 card deck and looks pretty random:

x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, JH, x, x,
JD x, x, KC, x, x, KS, x, QH, x, x, QD, x,
x, QC, x, x, QS, x, KH, x, x, KD, x, x, JC,
x, x, JS, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x

Note no need to count backward from 52, 51, 50, 49 etc because the last red face card does not go higher than 40 therefore we can always count from the front. Same is true for the black cards with the deck held face up we can always count forward all the way to 40 to hit the last black face card.
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
If you think that 11 is too obvious for the jacks then you can move the two red jacks forward by two positions and move the two black jacks backwards by two positions and then the formula becomes:

Jacks are 9
Queens are 22
Kings are 33
If CLUBS or DIAMONDS then add 3.

x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, JH, x, x, JD x,
x, x, x, KC, x, x, KS, x, QH, x, x, QD, x,
x, QC, x, x, QS, x, KH, x, x, KD, x, x, x,
x, JC, x, x, JS, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
Correction: the highest position the shill might name is not 40 (the highest position is 36 when the spectator names the KD or KC).

Therefore no need to ever count backwards from 52.
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
Another benefit of this stack is that it's very easy to assemble and/or check before a performance.

Checking the red face cards:
Just run through the cards (fanning and counting from the top) counting all the cards and noting that the red jacks hit 11 and 14 (JH and JD), the red queens hit 22 and 25 (QH and QD), the red kings hit 33 and 36 (KH and KD). Note: do not note the black face cards during this run-through (just count them like any other card).

Checking the black face cards:
Then run through the cards (fanning and counting from the bottom) counting all the cards and noting that the black jacks hit 11 and 14 (JS and JC), the black queens hit 22 and 25 (QS and QC), the black kings hit 33 and 36 (KS and KC). Note: do not note the red face cards during this run-through (just count them like any other card).

Therefore if this deck ever gets dropped or shuffled it's easy to reassemble later.
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
Above is all about "card to number". We can't do "number to card" with this Henry VIII stack, well, hmmm, we can incorporate Lloyd Barnes and Gaffed Academy explained calculator force (single digit multipliers and make sure 9 is one of them). And note that no one touches the spectator's calculator/cell phone except the spectator.

https://youtu.be/Dr6ZMRFcmUw

Note: in the video above ignore all the charts and stuff about the number of letters in the word "eighteen" and stuff like that because all we're after here is the forcing of five possible numbers.

This will force one of the following numbers: 9, 18, 27, 36, 45.

Therefore if we position some easy to remember cards at those positions then the shill can easily name the card. For example we position the 4 eights as follows:

9th position the 8C
18th position the 8S
27th position the 8H
36th position the King of Diamonds
45th position the 8D

Note that the eight of clubs at position nine is kind of a rule breaker. Also the king of diamonds at position 36 is already taken so the shill just has those two cards memorized.

The suits of the other three eights is in SHcD order and can easily be remembered by the first digit of its two digit number ie:

"18" the "1" means spades
"27" the "2" means hearts
"45" the "4" means diamonds

Presentation of "number to card":
After doing the "card to number" trick the magician says:
"Let's try something different, who has a smartphone with a calculator function? you sir fine, I'm not going to touch your cell phone but I want you to type in a single digit number and then touch the multiply symbol. Now do this about eight or nine times with different single digits and be sure to get the highest and lowest digits touched, but only one digit at a time touching the multiply symbol between each digit. Are you finished? OK, now touch the equal sign. We have a pretty big number on the screen so let's add those individual digits verbally out loud and we should end up with a one or two digit number. Would you agree that this is a very random number?"

Note: the magician must observe closely to make sure that the digit 9 was touched and multiplied at least just once, more than once is okay.

Now the magician turns to one of his shills and says "you sir, please name any card in the deck".

The shill of course will name the appropriate "eight" or the king of diamonds if 36 is the total.

x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, 8C, x, JH, x, x,
JD x, x, KC, 8S, x, KS, x, QH, x, x, QD, x,
8H, QC, x, x, QS, x, KH, x, x, KD, x, x, JC,
x, x, JS, x, x, 8D, x, x, x, x, x, x, x

The magician does a normal face down deal/count when doing this calculator "number to card" trick with this Henry the 8th stack.

PS: If you chose to use position nine for the jack of hearts then of course the shill memorizes it and does not use the 8C..
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
Another option when doing the calculator force is to tell the spectator to add the digits in the two digit number to get down to one digit "so we don't have to deal forever".

If done that way the number nine will be the final total therefore the shill only needs to have the card at position nine memorized when doing "number to card" via this calculator force.
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
I have built-in a two player five-card each poker deal (magician always wins by dealing the Jonah card 9D to the spectator).

After doing a couple of acaan tricks you can cut the bottom five cards to the top and be sure to always deal the Jonah card 9D to the spectator (the other nine cards can be dealt in any order back and forth between a spectator and the magician).

There are books and write-ups on numerous ways to make sure the spectator gets the Jonah card each time. I leave it up to you to find those routines.

Below is my current version of the Henry The Eighth Stack (by having the poker deal cards five of the cards on top and five of the cards on the bottom this hides the pattern that would be more visible if all 10 cards were together):

HENRY THE EIGHTH face card stack (with the 4 eights in place and has Jonah poker deal ie: top five with bottom five):

10S, 7H, 5H, 10D, 5S, 2D, 3C, AH, 8C, 6D, JH, 4D, 3S, JD, 9C, 4H, KC, 8S, 4C, KS, 6H, QH, 7D, AC, QD, 2S, 8H, QC, 5D, 6C, QS, 9H, KH, 2H, 10C, KD, 6S, AS, JC, 3H, 9S, JS, 3D, 2C, 8D, AD, 4S, 9D, 7C, 5C, 10H, 7S

glowball.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5105 Posts

Profile of landmark
Very clever. But rather than just asking the spec to name a face card, it should be an equivoque of face card or spot card, this way it's a real ACAAN, much stronger e.g.

"I have an invisible deck in my hand, the face cards in the right hand, the spot cards in the left. Which shall I drop?"

If the right hand, then "Okay, your choice, only the face cards are dropped on the table and we'll turn them all face up for you to see. Which would you like?"
If the left hand, then "Okay, your choice, the spot cards are dropped on the floor, choose any one of the remaining face cards."

Then the real deck is placed on the table. The shill is asked for the number.

The number to card solution I would leave out. It's just not going to look as clean, the force will be known to anyone mathematically sophisticated, and there's no need to dilute the impact of the card to number effect.
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
I agree about the "number to card" being weak. Also it takes a lot of time and this is a problem when doing the trick for a waiter or waitress (as we often do) because they don't have that much time to spare. For the same reason when we do the better way "card to number" we probably won't do the equivoque (most of the time just directly say "name any face card").

I believe the power of this trick is the fact that a freely named card magically appears at a freely named POSITION. Whether the spectator has a choice of 52 cards or 12 cards or even just four cards does not greatly diminish the effect. It's the appearance of that card at the position that is mind blowing.

For example Craig Petty's Quantum Deck is promo'd with him telling the spectator the King of Spades will appear at any position in his blank deck. People are blown away by this effect even though they had no choice of which card. I know that the QD has an entirely different method and the spectator has the last say to determine the position but all in all I believe the Henry the 8th stack (or any stack) using a shill to do acaan looks very similar to the spectators.

Quantum Deck:
https://youtu.be/9bqqAcr9rrk

There may be times that we will do the equivoque as landmark suggested. I like the words "pull out".
See Asi Wind's equivoque wording "do you want to pull out the picture cards or the number cards"
https://youtu.be/fg0CC99hVK8

I might even memorize the whole Henry the 8th stack and that way I have the best of both worlds ie: when I am the shill my magician friend says to a spectator "name any of the 52 cards".
When I am the magician I can train a shill to do the face cards only.

I believe the Henry The Eighth stack is the simplest, easiest, spreadable stack there is and I can teach a shill in 30 seconds.

For this reason I may switch from my Aronson deck, hmmm, no, there is a great poker deal sequence in the Aronson Stack and I can do the Suitability trick. I don't want to give those up, but if I was new and just wanted a quick non-memorized stack to use then I would certainly consider the Henry The Eighth stack.
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
I tried to see if my Henry The Eighth Stack would do the Larson and Wright Suitability trick (meaning you can cut the deck as many times as you want and then deal four cards and that four card suit sequence will be unique).

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......orum=205

Well I tried it and there were eight duplicate four card suit patterns which means this stack was no good to do the suitability trick (there needs to be zero duplicates to do the Suitability trick).

Therefore to do Suitability I tried switching the positions of some of the cards (at the same time keeping the face cards in their original positions and keeping the eights in their original positions and having some different top five and bottom five cards that could still do the Jonah poker deal).

This was quite difficult because every time I swapped a position change of 2 neutral cards to get rid of a duplicate pattern It affected 8 patterns (four of the patterns where that card came from and affected four of the patterns in its new position) and each one of those patterns had to be verified that none of them were a duplicate of the other 44 existing patterns (and sometimes they were duplicates so back to the drawing board).

Google sheets sort feature was a great help but still was a very tedious process, but I was finally successful in creating a new Henry The Eighth stack that maintained all its existing features and can now do the Suitability trick (no duplicates)!

I changed the Jonah card from the Nine of Diamonds to the Ten of Diamonds therefore after doing some acaan tricks the magician may want to do the Suitability trick and then later do the Jonah tricks last since the Jonah tricks mess up the top five portion and bottom five portion of the stack (but not hard to reassemble, we just don't want to do that in front of the spectators). Reminder: cut the Ten of Diamonds (and the four cards after it) to the top when doing the Jonah tricks.

Below is the new Henry The Eighth stack that can do Suitability. I'll call it Henry AFC-SJ (the AFC for Any Face Card, the S for suitability, the J for Jonah). Or maybe just Henry AFC because it's easier to say.

Henry AFC-SJ Stack:
7C, 5H, 9S, 9D, 5S, 3C, 2D, AH, 8C, 6D, JH, 4D, 3S, JD, 10C, 4H, KC, 8S, 4C, KS, 6H, QH, 7D, AC, QD, 2S, 8H, QC, 5D, 6C, QS, 9C, KH, 2H, 10H, KD, 6S, AS, JC, 3H, 10S, JS, 3D, 2C, 8D, AD, 4S, 10D, 9H, 7S, 5C, 7H

Note: to do the Suitability trick requires a cheat sheet perhaps on the back of the two jokers but I prefer to have the cheat sheet info on the ad cards and have two duplicate joker's pristine for other tricks.

Later I will post a sorted cheat sheet for the above Henry AFC-SJ Stack.
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
Henry AFC-SJ Suitability cheat sheet in CDHS (alphabetic) sequence because that's the way Google Sheets sorts things. If there is anybody out there that would like to have a Henry Suitability cheat sheet in CHSD or SHCD sequence let me know because there is a way to do it.

CDCS QC, 5D, 6C, QS
CDDS 2C, 8D, AD, 4S
CDHC 3C, 2D, AH, 8C
CDHD 8C, 6D, JH, 4D
CDSH AC, QD, 2S, 8H
CHCH 5C, 7H, 7C, 5H
CHCS 10C, 4H, KC, 8S
CHHH 9C, KH, 2H, 10H
CHSD 7C, 5H, 9S, 9D
CHSS JC, 3H, 10S, JS
CSCH 6C, QS, 9C, KH
CSCS KC, 8S, 4C, KS
CSHH 4C, KS, 6H, QH
DCDD 3D, 2C, 8D, AD
DCDS 7D, AC, QD, 2S
DCHC JD, 10C, 4H, KC
DCSC 5D, 6C, QS, 9C
DDSD 8D, AD, 4S, 10D
DHCD 2D, AH, 8C, 6D
DHDS 6D, JH, 4D, 3S
DHSC 10D, 9H, 7S, 5C
DSCD 9D, 5S, 3C, 2D
DSDC 4D, 3S, JD, 10C
DSDH AD, 4S, 10D, 9H
DSHC QD, 2S, 8H, QC
DSSC KD, 6S, AS, JC
HCDC 8H, QC, 5D, 6C
HCDH AH, 8C, 6D, JH
HCHS 7H, 7C, 5H, 9S
HCSC 4H, KC, 8S, 4C
HDCD QH, 7D, AC, QD
HDSD JH, 4D, 3S, JD
HDSS 10H, KD, 6S, AS
HHDC 6H, QH, 7D, AC
HHDS 2H, 10H, KD, 6S
HHHD KH, 2H, 10H, KD
HSCH 9H, 7S, 5C, 7H
HSDS 5H, 9S, 9D, 5S
HSSD 3H, 10S, JS, 3D
SCDH 5S, 3C, 2D, AH
SCHC 7S, 5C, 7H, 7C
SCHH QS, 9C, KH, 2H
SCHS AS, JC, 3H, 10S
SCSH 8S, 4C, KS, 6H
SDCD JS, 3D, 2C, 8D
SDCH 3S, JD, 10C, 4H
SDHS 4S, 10D, 9H, 7S
SDSC 9S, 9D, 5S, 3C
SHCD 2S, 8H, QC, 5D
SHHD KS, 6H, QH, 7D
SSCH 6S, AS, JC, 3H
SSDC 10S, JS, 3D, 2C
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
Instead of the calculator "number to card" force just have a blank card with the below numbers permanently written on it many many times in hodgepodge manner.

11, 14, 22, 25, 33, 36

and show this card to a spectator and tell them to name any number that's on the card.

The shill's rule then becomes simple for "Number to card":

11 is Jack of Hearts and 14 Jack of Diamonds
22 is Queen of Hearts and 25 Queen of Diamonds
33 is King of Hearts and 36 King of Diamonds

If the "number to card" trick is done a second time and a spectator names the same number then the shill can use spades and clubs instead of hearts and diamonds and the magician knows that if a black card is named to turn the deck face up to do the deal and count.
glowball
View Profile
Elite user
Nashville TN
444 Posts

Profile of glowball
RANDOMIZER LIST
25, 11, 36, 14, 22, 33
11, 14, 22, 25, 33, 36
33, 22, 11, 36, 14, 25
14, 25, 33, 11, 36, 22
25, 11, 36, 14, 22, 33
11, 14, 22, 25, 33, 36
33, 22, 11, 36, 14, 25
14, 25, 33, 11, 36, 22

and show this card to a spectator and tell them to name any number that's on the card (or you could have them look at your cell phone to see the list above here on this magic Café post).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Henry the 8th stack acaan deck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL