The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Breaking Into Someone's Thoughts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Other then simple psychological forces in which alot of magicians and mentalists alike seems to find some interst in our days
are there really heavy based psychological routines in which you seems to break into the thoughts of your companion?
Let me give you two examples.
the first one is from Kreskin's book: The Amazing World of Kreskin
the second one is from a Sherlock Holmes story: The Resident Patien.

Almost nightly,things do accur that aren't programmed at all.I will receive a message that isn't really intended but is strong enough to carry.
In the Playboy Club in Baltimore,I broke a train of thought with:"Someones is looking for the rest of a 20$ bill."
One of the Bunnies almost dropped her tray.
Later I found out that she'd just come from the kitchen and had seen half of a 20$ biil lying on the floor.
Who wouldn't be intrigued or have their thoughts completely arrested?
As she came back into the club she was naturally puzzeld,occupied with the whereabouts of that other half.

{I will let you figure this out yourself}

The Resident Patient

Finding that Holmes was too absorbed for conversation, I had
tossed aside the barren paper, and, leaning back in my chair I
fell into a brown study. Suddenly my companion's voice broke
in upon my thoughts.
"You are right, Watson," said he. "It does seem a very
preposterous way of settling a dispute."
"Most preposterous!" I exclaimed, and then, suddenly realiz-
ing how he had echoed the inmost thought of my soul, I sat up in
my chair and stared at him in blank amazement.
"What is this, Holmes?" I cried. "This is beyond anything
which I could have imagined."
He laughed heartily at my perplexity.
"You remember," said he, "that some little time ago, when I
read you the passage in one of Poe's sketches, in which a close
reasoner follows the unspoken thoughts of his companion, you
were inclined to treat the matter as a mere tour de force of the
author. On my remarking that I was constantly in the habit of
doing the same thing you expressed incredulity."
"Oh, no!"
"Perhaps not with your tongue, my dear Watson, but certainly
with your eyebrows. So when I saw you throw down your paper
and enter upon a train of thought, I was very happy to have the
opportunity of reading it off, and eventually of breaking into it,
as a proof that I had been in rapport with you."
But I was still far from satisfied. "In the example which you
read to me," said I, "the reasoner drew his conclusions from the
actions of the man whom he observed. If I remember right, he
stumbled over a heap of stones, looked up at the stars, and so
on. But I have been seated quietly in my chair, and what clues
can I have given you?"
"You do yourself an injustice. The features are given to man
as the means by which he shall express his emotions, and yours
are faithful servants."
"Do you mean to say that you read my train of thoughts from
my features?"
"Your features, and especially your eyes. Perhaps you cannot
yourself recall how your reverie commenced?"
"No, I cannot."
"Then I will tell you. After throwing down your paper, which
was the action which drew my attention to you, you sat for half a
minute with a vacant expression. Then your eyes fixed them-
selves upon your newly framed picture of General Gordon, and I
saw by the alteration in your face that a train of thought had been
started. But it did not lead very far. Your eyes turned across to
the unframed portrait of Henry Ward Beecher, which stands
upon the top of your books. You then glanced up at the wall, and
of course your meaning was obvious. You were thinking that if
the portrait were framed it would just cover that bare space and
correspond with Gordon's picture over there."
"You have followed me wonderfully!" I exclaimed.
"So far I could hardly have gone astray. But now your
thoughts went back to Beecher, and you looked hard across as if
you were studying the character in his features. Then your eyes
ceased to pucker, but you continued to look across, and your
face was thoughtful. You were recalling the incidents of Bee-
cher's career. I was well aware that you could not do this
without thinking of the mission which he undertook on behalf of
the North at the time of the Civil War, for I remember you
expressing your passionate indignation at the way in which he
was received by the more turbulent of our people. You felt so
strongly about it that I knew you could not think of Beecher
without thinking of that also. When a moment later I saw your
eyes wander away from the picture, I suspected that your mind
had now turned to the Civil War, and when I observed that your
lips set, your eyes sparkled, and your hands clinched, I was
positive that you were indeed thinking of the gallantry which was
shown by both sides in that desperate struggle. But then, again,
your face grew sadder; you shook your head. You were dwelling
upon the sadness and horror and useless waste of life. Your hand
stole towards your own old wound, and a smile quivered on your
lips, which showed me that the ridiculous side of this method of
settling international questions had forced itself upon your mind.
At this point I agreed with you that it was preposterous, and was
glad to find that all my deductions had been correct.
"Absolutely!" said I. "And now that you have explained it, I
confess that I am as amazed as before."
"It was very superficial, my dear Watson, I assure you. I
should not have intruded it upon your attention had you not
shown some incredulity the other day. But the evening has
brought a breeze with it. What do you say to a ramble through
London?"

Yaniv Deautsch
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
O.k.

Ian would call the Kreskin situation a "Lucky Guess" (at least, his book would excuse a hit of this kind in this manner) but let me give you one of my own experiences here...

... about a year ago I was doing a Reading for a lady & her daughter... I knew absolutely NOTHING about them or their situation... as they were sitting down I started smelling hot buttered popcorn and flashing on my old train set... I laughed and commented about... they both turned white!

The lady asked if I was picking up anything else... names, etc. I took a deep breath and allowed the train of thought to expand in my head and simply told her what I felt, sensed, etc.

I hadn't even come close to turning a card for a reading and yet I'd just described her husband who had died 3 weeks previous, his known habits and the layout of his model railroad room COMPLETE WITH OLD TIME POPCORN POPPING WAGON.

Human Intuition is an amazing thing WHEN WE LEARN TO TRUST IT.

DO NOTE: I'm not stating that I have some special gift. In my book any of us can develop this kind of "connection" (as best I can, I'm trying to compile material that teaches this from a logical pov vs. New Age mysticism.)I've done this kind of thing frequently in the course of my life and have thus, dedicated much of my "spare time" trying to learn about it and understand it. Bottom line is... THERE IS NO SOUND EXPLANATION... it just happens! No on and off switch... no logic to it.

In your latter tale of Mr. Holmes & Co. Well, I have to refer to Mr. Robert Nelson's observations on Hellstromism/Muscle Reading (NOTE: Nelson stresses that Hellstromism IS NOT the same as Muscle Reading... there is a subtle difference.) Nonetheless, people that spend a great deal of time around one another learn, albeit subconsciously, how the other thinks and processes things. You can see this in couples that have been together for more than four or five years.

When we were together Marcy and I could discuss all kinds of things without words, and not even be in the same room. We would even meet each other at the door to go out for dinner and not said a word to the other... even went to the same place the other was thinking of.

Some would call this coencidence... the regularity of it however negates such and excuse. An expanded mode of intuition? Maybe.... Again, I'm uncertain as to the why and how, I just know it happens.

NOW, TO YOUR QUESTION... I've mentioned this here, @ Visions & the KJMagic board... In playing with psychologically based materials by Banachek, Hilford, Bavli and others I've "found a new toy" as it were... in experimenting I've discovered that, with practice (and belief) you can do the "Jedi Mind Trick" e.g. influence the actions and thoughts of others in some rather mundane but fun ways... my favorite is to visiualize and see the Birista pouring me a large cup of coffee when I order a small... 9 times out of 10 I keep the larger amount and pay the lesser price (because they realize they made a mistake... )

Experiment, study, experiment some more, dig into deeper elements of research around this issue (from either side of the spectrum)and simply have fun with it.

Smile
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
Yaniv Deautsch
View Profile
Special user
Israel
529 Posts

Profile of Yaniv Deautsch
Darmoe,
Re the Kreskin story.
Guess who put that half 20$ bill on the floor?

Yaniv Deautsch
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
If you were working with a large audience you could take your chances and claim that someone was thinking a particular thought. You then simply wait for someone to admit to the thought in question. Using your cold reading skills you can then make the thought seem even more specific (or, if there are no claimants to the thought, you can twist it until there are). Obviously, you run the risk of several people ”having” the same thought, but by specifying it further you can cull the crowd down untill you are left with just one person, or you could make a big deal out of the fact that several people were thinking the same thing (... as per your sealed prediction... the subliminal messages played in the theatre... etc.).

Just think of cold reading with a group and lots of ideas should come to mind! I’d love to hear suggestions for possible "caught" or "arrested" thoughts that could be used in this way (do you have any good cold reading lines that you could adapt?).
E-Leoni
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
358 Posts

Profile of E-Leoni
When I was taking acting in college, (method Acting) one of the exercises was to sit in a room/subway whatever and pick a person who is busy reading a paper, and try and break their concentration by thinking either "look up, look up" or "Scratch your ear, scratch your ear" stuff like that. I was amazed at the hits. I used to use this kind of stuff a lot back in college with my magic. Thats how I got into mentalism real quick. I don't know why I don't take advantage of that stuff as much as I use to . I should. I have a lot more incredible examples of stuff I just did on my own. I don't think this is the place for it now though.

E-Leoni.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-07-30 15:09, Yaniv Deautsch wrote:
Darmoe,
Re the Kreskin story.
Guess who put that half 20$ bill on the floor?

Yaniv Deautsch

Yes... I'm familiar with that ploy just as I am the "Shotgun" principle associated with Sensational Mentalism bits. Been there, done that, etc. I also know how powerful intuition can be if and when a person learns to trust it. I've had far too many "unexplainable" situations involving nothing other than following a hunch, feeling, etc.
"I firmly believe that of all the Arts and Crafts of Mentalism, there is nothing more satisfying than one who is a first-class Reader. It is the ultimate in Mentalism..." - Tony Corinda * 13 Steps To Mentalism
blurr
View Profile
Regular user
143 Posts

Profile of blurr
In working at the shop, I have on occasion asked people to think of any card. Then announce the first card that comes to my mind. You would be supprised how often this works.And yes I do tell them not to think of an ace, especially spades.

Blurr
"Someday men will look back and say I was the start of the 20th century."
---Jack the Ripper
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
Quote:
On 2002-07-31 12:35, blurr wrote:
In working at the shop, I have on occasion asked people to think of any card. Then announce the first card that comes to my mind. You would be supprised how often this works.And yes I do tell them not to think of an ace, especially spades.

Blurr

Actually I posted something about this "coencidence" somewhere around here (and other places) in regards to psychological forces and how it can be "practiced" dialy via mundane situations.

As "magicians"... well, as one magician at least, I've noticed how I get into the habit of "restricting" technique to one area... but, when I "dare" to step over certain lines in the sand, I find that those same techniques can be used in other facets of my life... including something as simple as ordering a cup of coffee... by visualizing and using certian body language a larger portion but verbally asking for the small 9 times our of 10 I find that the birista will pour the larger and, because of "their mistake" charge me for the smaller... Smile

"But that's stealing!" cry the ethics committee and puritans of the net...

Let's face it... charging $2.00 for a cup of coffee that cost less than a quarter to make is also a crime... Smile ... then they want full price on something that, up until a few short years ago, was known for its bottomless mug Smile

Anywho... I know what you're saying Blurr... some interesting things can and do happen... truth is stranger than fiction.
McCritical
View Profile
Regular user
156 Posts

Profile of McCritical
Quote:
On 2002-07-31 10:33, David de Leon wrote:
If you were working with a large audience you could take your chances and claim that someone was thinking a particular thought. You then simply wait for someone to admit to the thought in question.

Wouldn't "seeding" the environment with sensual stimuli lend more to this process. Someone smelling a perfume like White Shoulders may be reminded of an aunt, mother or grandmother. Smelling mothballs, garlic, cigar smoke, rose water, etc. may also trigger memories about a person's family that make a number of hits possible from the very beginning.

A stack of National Geographics or a painting of children playing baseball displayed barely within a person's line of sight may also open up a lot of possibilities for cold and warm readings.

I believe that people are aware of a lot more than they can actively process at any given time. That memories triggered deliberately by a performer are more strongly remembered than the items that triggered them.
Darmoe
View Profile
Special user
Ohio
741 Posts

Profile of Darmoe
>I believe that people are aware of a lot more than they can actively process at any given time. That memories triggered deliberately by a performer are more strongly remembered than the items that triggered them. <

So very true!

I mentioned this in the marketing section of the KJ forums last year... I use "smells" during my mailings for the "Father Christmas" charater I do e.g. gingerbread, peppermint and bay leaf oils that are carefully used to treat the stationary, card, photo and envelope I mail everyting out in. The end result is a "memory trigger" by the person(s) handling the material and thus, a pleasing attitude that's very receptive.

NLPers would call it "Anchoring" or in this case, exploiting common anchors. All I know is that it works...
... now, if I could just find the right smells for selling gigs the rest of the year... Smile
David de Leon
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
417 Posts

Profile of David de Leon
McCritical, I love your idea of ”seeding” the environment with sensual stimuli to pull people down certain associative pathways! You suggest scent and felicitously placed pictures. Add to this: background music in the lobby, other background sounds, manipulating the AC in the lecture hall, and ambient lighting.

A thought: if you could just ”seed” a region of the audience you could then point to that region (for example, left side, at the back) and claim that you sense the thought coming from there (i.e. before you announce the specific thought).

This kind of stuff brings to minds the areas of environmental psychology and also consumer psychology (and area I’ve been meaning to look into for some time).
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Weird things happen to most mentalists working on stage at some point, things with no explaination. I am forever answering questions before they are asked and calling people as they are dialing my number to call me. My friends and family really do tell me to "get out of <my> head" all the time which truthfully does help the public image too, but I do it to people working backstage at my shows, etc...which really has no trick. I just go with my intuition (I don't even think about it any more) and more times than not, it just happens. Cooincidence? Perhaps? A special gift? Naw, I think anyone can do it, just need to "practice" <g> But since I am a mentalist, any kind of word of mouth advertising like that is good anyway since I am supposed to be able to do it.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Breaking Into Someone's Thoughts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL