The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom Block Penetration by Magic Wagon (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Phantom Block Penetration 🎩 Expected release date is Monday 16 May

The performer shows a square wooden tube which has large windows at the front, back and at the top. A small stand which the tube sits on and a lid, along with a black wooden block and a solid brass rod are also shown. The block also has a hole running through it that corresponds to the holes in the sides of the tube. The performer now inserts the block into the tube, pushes the rod through the holes locking the block in place and then assembles the tube on the stand. Now, with the block remaining in full view, the performer merely pushes the lid against the top of the block and to the spectator’s surprise, the solid wooden block magically penetrates the brass rod and ends up visibly in the window at the bottom of the tube! The entire unit is then immediately turned upside down showing that there is no way the block could have passed though the rod as the block is seen to stop where it hits the brass rod. The block can now be removed and shown to be perfectly solid! It’s an incredible visual illusion.

Phantom Block Penetration has been inspired by the following previous creations: Edward Massey’s Miracle Block, Richard Resor’s Supreme Block Penetration and Bill Adams’s Bionic Block which is by itself an amazing mechanical marvel as the effect can be done with no manipulation of the block.

The mechanical method for this item is absolutely ingenious and it does not rely on magnets to do the work, yet the effect can be immediately repeated!

This is, unquestionably, one of the most deceptive and visual block penetrations ever created.

The wooden tube including the lid and stand measures approximately 6.6cms wide x 14cms high x 6.6cms deep and has been completely handcrafted from natural aged teak wood with a lightly distressed oil finish. The block measures approximately at 5.5 cms cubed which is big enough for stand-up shows, yet small enough for the close-up table.

Our special thanks to Mr. John M. Talbot for suggesting the ideas & consultations on this amazing piece of magic 👍

Many thanks to Tony Curtis for the nice illustration provided ⭐️

Click here to view attached image.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
On that image it looks obvious how it penetrates purely by the lines on the Rubik’s cube type block. Gaz 😊
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2658 Posts

Profile of The great Gumbini
I hate to say it but man Gaz I definitely agree. Now it could be that we're wrong but oh my gosh that really does smack of being obvious or at least I believe the audience will think that way too. But we may be wrong.

Good magic to all,

Eric
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3361 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
I am not very excited about this Magic Wagon release.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
We are probably wrong Eric but as you say that will their be first thought and as we know them having a plausibly explanation of the method even if it’s wrong is not good imho. Gaz 😊
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2658 Posts

That is my main concern. You know it is so funny because as you probably know I've been performing Twins quite a bit lately and there's been a couple of times when people thought there were magnets being used. Because of this I've even gone to using my right hand to perform this because my left hand I have my wedding ring on and I don't take that off. So you're right if they think they know the method even if it's wrong it can have a dampening reaction to the effect.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Magic Wagon Phantom Block Penetration available for 350 USD

http://www.magic-wagon.com/ProductDetail.asp?id=214 👍
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2239 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Much smaller than I expected it to be. Because of the size, I feel like the price is a bit high. And I agree, the lines make it obvious, even if the workings are different than what we think.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
801 Posts

Profile of Doric
The mechanism inside the cube is really clever but I agree the design is likely to lead an audience to the solution.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
⭐️ SOLD OUT ⭐️
aechecop
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of aechecop
So many comments without even the product on hand... how funny. I got mine, like every previous one regardless of any comment, always happy with each and every one. Obviously, my priorities when getting these items as a collector may be very different from everyone... but I still believe that people should wait to either receive or at least see a video of the prop before telling their side of the story, a pic is not enough.
Raymond42
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Raymond42
Disappointed with this release. The block looks weird and is bound to raise questions in minds of spectators, the method would appear to be pretty obvious to most. However, as expected, it's beautifully constructed and would grace any display. I wouldn't consider buying this, as I have the amazing Houdini Block Escape, which gives no clue as to method and is truly magical.
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2658 Posts

I think part of the comments is not so much criticism as it is critiquing it. I have other effects that use very similar looking blocks and I believe part of the comments come from expecting a little bit more especially from Magic wagon. Not to say this is not a good product just not what the average person is used to seeing coming out of this particular maker of magic. But if you're a collector then you are buying it for a much different reasons than the average magician.

Good magic to all,

Eric
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Absolutely Eric I agree and I as I repeat time and time again on here to deaf ears this thread is dedicated officially to speculation.
You do not have to own the effect to speculate and that’s what most people don’t understand.
I realise the likes of yourself understand this Eric.
Best wishes Gaz 😊
aechecop
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of aechecop
... almost like discussing how a dish of food tastes based on how it looks... you really need to try it before "speculating" on its taste, even if you are familiar with the ingredients... but hey, I am just one of the ones that do not understand the concept, so we are all good!. Let's continue speculating to kill some time.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
There are other threads where you review the effects that’s the point of different sections of the Café. Best wishes Gaz 😊
magic11ryan
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of magic11ryan
Waiting for mine to arrive, have to say, I do like the look of it.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
A well-known classic in a new guise, nice display piece

I like the look ⭐️ even if the effect is a bit obvious

Curious about block inspection by spectator
tynods
View Profile
New user
France
20 Posts

Profile of tynods
Any (in) real (life) reviews so far ?
Mine is on its way to me and I am a bit curious to see what it looks like in real...
The great Gumbini
View Profile
Inner circle
2658 Posts

The food analogy is probably not the best one to use only because it is well known by chefs that presentation is absolutely vital to presenting a meal. I hope people don't look at this as a knock on this particular product. It's simply an observation that people who are in the know on certain magic effects have raised. But just like all magic wagon products this will probably be very collectible. But for people such as myself who do not necessarily buy magic just for its collectibility but for the practicality of the effect it could raise very real and reasonable questions as far as from a performance perspective. But I still believe this is a very worthwhile product to have especially if you are a collector.

Good magic to all,

Eric
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom Block Penetration by Magic Wagon (13 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL