The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Non-Word of Mouth Marketing Returns (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dorian_faust
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, California
277 Posts

Profile of dorian_faust
What marketing methods have you all found to be the most successful in terms of getting people to contact you / booking shows? Naturally word of mouth and past connections are always the best, but I'm curious about what y'all have seen the most returns on *after* that
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10349 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Direct to the consumer or buyer, whether it is a consumer market or a professional market. That is why trade shows have typically always worked so well. You must understand the inner workings of your target market and operate from within their industry perspective and terms.

It is also about what truly reaches, connects, and hits them emotionally and most effectively. This is why you are likely to get much greater results and returns from say trade show target participation than something like social media.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1013 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
I hope I'm not going off topic here.
For me who is a kids entertainer, who has spent quite a good sum on Google ads, and different ad campaigns over the years, I have one thing that keeps getting me work. It's my show that I put in more effort than anything else I do. At the start of the pandemic I put my Google Ad campaign on pause, and about 5 months later the state I live in said there could be 20 people at a house event. My phone just rang off the hook for days, and the booking came in and off I went with just as many or more bookings than in the past. To this day I've never turned on the Google Ads again.
Most people who've seen me at a party or have booked me before comment that the kids had a fantastic time. Other comments are like, "I haven't seen 5 year olds sit glued to a show for so long" etc etc. So for me, it's my show that gets me the most work.
I realise I'm not talking about huge sums of money like the more corporate workers and the like, however I feel it's still the same principle. Sorry if I'm off topic.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2918 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
It's important to think out what word of mouth really means: It means that someone found what you're doing so remarkable that during the conversation the words "he must be hired again" come up.

That is a pivot point in the conversation that means that they will be hiring you. You can help stimulate that interaction by pitching your services at the end of your show. Something that literally says "if you want to hire me for your event, or recommend me to a friend, please contact me."

Otherwise, your show is what carries this interaction.

If you want to stimulate buying behavior, its important to have a clear map of how people find your services. And, getting good at stimulating buying behavior along the path of those interactions.
Fedora
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona, usa
277 Posts

Profile of Fedora
SEO is something many folks focus on now, it's far cheaper than
google ads, but takes more work.

I'm not an expert in SEO, but your website doesn't seem
to have good SEO.

Putting "Alexander thorn" into google doesn't bring up your website,
interestingly putting "thorn magic" doesn't bring it up either,
i have to remove the space, "thornmagic"

i didn't try all the variations, but putting "bizarre magician la" into google doesn't
bring up anything, I'm aware la is a competitive market for local SEO, but
it seems to be tricky to find you or your website, without already knowing
what to search for.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10349 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This is interesting as some have offered a few perspectives. Word of mouth is great and can be among the most cost-effective. However, with that said, many elements have to line up. The conversation needs to lead to the topic, it must be with one person that has seen you and recommends you, then the other person must trust their opinion and their description of you, and it must align with the interests and needs of the person inquiring or the person being offered to. That is still a lot of things that must align just right.

However, seeing you live at a show, to me, is truly the best. They are seeing and experiencing it with their own eyes and it is in the proper context or similar dynamics to which their needs may exist. This eliminates the need for a demo video, website, etc. They may still want some promo or to ask for your site, but they are not relying on the input or opinion of others - they have experienced it themselves. This is far better and more direct than typical word of mouth.

With that said, I truly believe that seeds need to be planted for possible audience prospects to see your performance in the right or possible dynamics as it may pertain to them. This is so important.

I think it is only smart business to plant a few seeds and sell from the stage covertly. This can create the perception of different audience members as it could apply directly to them. To me, this is still the best and most direct and efficient form of marketing.

Now it must be said that you and your performance must be at a place and level for this to occur. I have had many entertainers ask me the secret to my performing business success. The formula of my business success. I share this with my coaching and consulting clients/students, and most are blown away by this. It's not complicated, but it must be executed at each and every show or appearance you do. It has allowed me to stop almost all of our advertising that I had been doing. This is how I have worked for decades and it actually becomes easier as time goes on to the point of happening almost automatically.

While I understand there is a place for digital and social types of advertising, I have found that the connection, rapport, and relationship from digital leads as compared to word of mouth and covertly selling from the stage or other physical methods pale in comparison. SEO, Google, and FB ads all have a place but I would not ever rely on these as my own or primary source of advertising. Especially not for the type of businesses I am seeking to generate.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1013 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
As always great post Mindpro.
I have several parts in my show where I repeat my name as part of funny patter, (by the end of the show they all know my name) I have other things I say that let the kids know that their parents can contact me for their own party. I have a funny spiel I say at the end letting the kids know they can get one of my stickers and explain how they work as "magic stickers", along with a thing they can say to their parents if they want me at their party too. All done very much tongue in cheek style, but I've found over the years that it has done the job. I got a call just today from a lady who was the caterer at the party I did last night, who was told by the party mum that I did a great job for her child, and she's now booked me for a time slot this weekend.
I realise this more than likely doesn't apply too much to walk around magic, but I've got a friend here where I live that has a very interesting hair style, and makes a lot of references to it in his very funny patter he uses with his effects. He uses Instagram a lot and has a pretty good following, with many funny exchanges about his hilarious humour and hair style. All the while booking some great events from it. Insta is free, and is the alternative many use instead of Google Ad words.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10349 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Glad to hear it is working so well for you. It can be placed and included as part of your show or specific routines. In these cases it can be created creatively as part of your patter or routine. I have seen some very creative ways to do this.

Some disguise it casually or subtly while others are more blatant. One student of mine used to hand out free "Magic Stickers" of a birthday cake with a candle and would tell them when it gets close to their birthday take this to your parents and tell them your birthday wish is to have (your performing name) at your party. It worked out very well for him, but some other performers may think it's a bit tacky. He doesn't care as he said he averages about 40-45 new bookings a year from it. At $350 a booking its roughly 15K a year for only the cost of some stickers. This is more easily done in some markets than it is others. Kids and family events are not bad at all, but corporate events, cruise ships, trade shows, and others may not be very inviting. This is why I mentioned doing this more covertly it unnoticeably.
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
882 Posts

Profile of Marqus
IMO there is some great information being shared in this post!
I've been brainstorming (in my own mind) how to implement the last 2 posts (Al Kazam & Mindpro) into a casual walk-around situation.
Maybe it can't be done covertly or subtly in such a situation.
I'm definitely not an expert but making the spectator feels like a 'star' & involving your business card is a possibility.
But that just seems very common. I'm trying to think of something MORE of a hook.
Just my 2 cents.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Non-Word of Mouth Marketing Returns (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL