We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Busker's Pouch (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1284 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Just out of curiosity, who here wears a buskers pouch while performing shows or strolling? I've been doing it for years. I think I may have gotten it from Rings-N-Things, but it looks like they don't sell them now. It's kind of big, has a bunch of pockets, some with zippers, and I can carry everything but the kitchen sink in it. I probably wouldn't wear it if I was entertaining at a fancy corporate event or formal wedding, etc., (mostly I do kids shows, etc) but even if I did, I don't think it would be an issue. People want you to look nice and professional as they should, but as long as the rest of your outfit is good, one weird thing shouldn't be of concern to anyone. It's a tool of the trade.
The reason I wear it is because I carry so much stuff, including flyers and a 3" sponge rabbit, both for my shows and I do a fair amount of strolling gigs. Also, I use it kind of like a topit or change bag for some stuff. I don't wear a suit jacket cause I get hot easily, so I need pocket space somehow. It makes some tricks easier, for example, I do something requiring a switch of an object, and as I put it away I can easily do the switch and nobody notices, then I can show it cleanly. I'm going to do Duke's dye version for the first time tonight, and I need to get rid of a big dye tube, usually it's done by resting the paper tube in a bucket, but I can ditch it into my pouch and I'm guessing nobody will notice.
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
407 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
I don't.....but have considered doing it! This has inspired me to think MUCH HARDER about doing it.
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of noland
I've used a busker's pouch too for strolling magic, especially at outdoor events like a picnic. Alternatively, I have also done strolling magic with a small, light-weight table (a collapsible computer stand table) with a servante attached to the back in lieu of wearing a pouch. The servante holds, among other things, a cup for a one-cup routine, and wand, and my miser's dream can for an abbreviated miser's dream routine. I simply carry the table around in one hand and set it down when ready to perform.
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1284 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Noland, I though about doing something like you said, a small portable lightweight table for strolling. The only person I remember seeing doing that is the Amazing Maxwell in Columbus 20 years ago. He did high end events like that, I think he had a sign on it too. Sometimes I bring a small Lefler table as a back-up if I get swarmed, then I can do a mini show for a gathered crowd, and also I can use it for storage to go grab stuff I don't want to carry around the whole time, have a puppet to do strolling vent, growing/shrinking head, etc. Off topic, but I did the growing/shrinking head illusion at a camp show today and a girl in the front row freaked out when I said hypnosis, I whispered to her that it was just an illusion, not real, etc but that didn't calm her, she had her hands over her eyes the whole time, never had that happen, usually I do it twice but I didn't continue. Ever had that happen?
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of noland
Here's a picture of the pouch I've used both for busking and some strolling venues.
I've never done the growing/shrinking head illusion. I have used a wrist chopper in shows for older kids (10 and up). I once had a 13 year old volunteer get really nervous after coming up to assist, so I sent her back to her seat after thanking her for her help. I then got a new volunteer up and continued with the performance of the trick.

Click here to view attached image.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of noland
My portable strolling table, with servante, from front.

noland
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of noland
My portable strolling table with servante, from back. Table is an Instand computer table. When collapsed, it fits into the "servante" which is just a canvas bag with a shoulder strap. The bag is used to carry the collapsed table plus several props, including a miser's dream bucket and a large mug and loads for a one-cup/ball routine.

Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
657 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Nice idea Noland!
danfreed
View Profile
Inner circle
West Chester PA
1284 Posts

Profile of danfreed
Noland, yeah, sounds like a good method.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Busker's Pouch (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL