The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COLOR MATCH by Tony Anverdi -An amazing utility device with literally HUNDREDS of uses!- Keith Barry (101 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1069 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2022, Ustaad wrote:
Regarding use of batteries, especially for magic props, I have always preferred replaceable batteries. However certain electronic based props do need a sealed enclosure and thus they need to be powered using rechargeable battery - it's inevitable. However with the advancement in rechargeable battery technology this problem will soon be gone when our creators/designers start using capacitor batteries - they are much smaller in size & weight, has good power retaining capability and they will have a very long life (including shelf life). Capacitor batteries can be charged in a fraction of time (in just a few seconds) as compared to present rechargeable batteries taking minutes to hours. Said that:-

It is good to see that Anverdi's Color Match uses replaceable coin battery for all its ePods. However, when replacing the battery, I would like to caution users to use only specified type of battery and MUST avoid using equivalents. For example, batteries used in the ePods has a specific number prefixed with 'CR'. An equivalent battery is also available with prefix 'BR'. Both are exactly the same in size etc.; however their working is totally different. The "CR' type gradually loose power and thus the performer gets an indication/warning well in advance of its losing power. Whereas the "BR" battery will continue to serve good with its full power and then all of a sudden die without any warning. Such batteries ('BR' type) are certainly not good nor recommended for our magic purpose. Also buy reputed brand coin batteries like - Toshiba, Renata, Energizer, Panasonic, Murata etc.

The remote control unit uses a rechargeable battery. Wish the designer had used a replaceable battery for this as well.

For those interested, here is a short comparison between 'BR' & 'CR' type of batteries:-

Current Handling Capacity: BR - Good, CR - Excellent
Discharge Voltage Characteristics: BR - Stable till end of life, CR - Gradually Decreases.
Discharge Current Characteristics: BR - Better for low drain, CR - Better for high drain.

PLEASE NOTE: The teaching video shows how to remove and replace the battery of the ePod(s) by using a metal key followed by a metal tweezers. The battery is pulled out with a pair of metal tweezers thus short circuiting the battery. This is not correct and should NEVER be done. These are Lithium based batteries and irrespective of what the Ampere rating of the battery is, the result of short-circuiting a Lithium battery (dead or alive Smile) is unpredictable with dire consequences. NEVER DO IT.

Also, due to the specific way the pens needs to be stored, it will be a good idea that the batteries are removed from the ePods when the props are not in use.

Keeping in mind the above, the chances of your electronic prop failing during a live performance becomes very remote.

More when I have played with the prop . . . till then . . . Smile

Smile

WOW!!! EXCELLENT info as always my friend!

Thank you for sharing. Always appreciate your thoughts, lessons and magic! Smile
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1069 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2022, Christopher Taylor wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2022, rosariorose9 wrote:

Understand your frustration, but for heaven's sake please don't retire. Your Timekeeper and Vertex are two of my favorite effects.

Thanks for saying that, but I'm already in the process of pulling the plug. By the way, regarding Colour Match routines, there has been a NON-ELECTRONIC version available for some time now;the spectator uses 4 ungimmicked crayons to colour in a drawing on the back of a business card any way they want and it matches the coloured drawing you take out of an envelope perfectly. Electronics are so passe Smile

https://youtu.be/eibsvoMyU_A

Christopher

Please tell me you credited Jay Sankey for this? 😉😎🤞
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5907 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2022, mikenewman wrote:

WOW!!! EXCELLENT info as always my friend!

Thank you for sharing. Always appreciate your thoughts, lessons and magic! Smile

Thank you so much for the kind words. Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Elite user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
480 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2022, Ustaad wrote:

In the explanation video they tell you how to re-ink the pen. IMO (and that's MY opinion only) its a cumbersome process. Just a few hours before the performance, I put 2 to 4 drops of Whiteboard Marker Ink on the tip of the pen. The ink gets soaked (due to capillary action) in the tip and will work as good. In case of of extra ink, just wipe the tip with tissue paper and you are good to go. The few drops of ink will allow you to write a couple of hundred characters.

That's my way, other's may vary.

Smile

No, the tutorial does NOT show you how to fill your MARKER, when it gets empty of ink.
I have gone through the tutorial several times, and not found anything about how to fill the markers. Not in the tutorial I got.

In the chapter "INK BARRIERS IN PENS" at 06:30 it is said later at 06:45:
"In case you want to change the FELT TIP of your Color Match marker, we're gonna show you how to to that, right now. We will also offer a set of refill markers, as well."

Then there is a description of how to change the TIP from one marker to another.
This does not solve the problem when the marker eventually gets out of ink.
(Ok, I agree, that a new tip from a fresh pen might hold SOME amount of ink, but in a performance I would not take a chance...)

In such a case, it is the INK CARTRIDGE that shoud be replaced, not ONLY a tip!

Ok, you could put the transmitters in other markers, if you find a marker brand with the same size/diameter of the Color Match markers, that is!
FI: Crayola markers are 15mm outer diameter, Color Match markers are 15,6mm, and I guess we find other differences as well.

So: Instead of a messy DIY project, I guess we will have to wait for the refill pack to show up.
At least, I will! Smile
By the way, did I tell how I absolutely love this effect, and how it is, in this version, in my opinion, technically great! Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6116 Posts

Profile of videoman
I think it’s clear that they want you to buy replacement pens rather than refill your current ones.
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Hi all - can any tell me how long you should charge the receiver - it doesn't indicate when it's charging so would love a rough idea.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1176 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
I have ZERO problem with buying replacement refill markers directly from a magic dealer *if* (as promised), those refills are inexpensive. But everyone's definition of "inexpensive" can vary.

For me, "inexpensive" would be $2 per marker. I assume they will be offered in a 6-pack (one of each color, including black) and the 5 colors will be gimmicked to accept the e-pods. So, $12 for a 6-pack would be reasonable.

Today I ordered a set of EIGHT Crayola washable markers from Amazon for $6. That's less than $1 per marker. If I could easily remove the bottom of the Crayola markers, I'd investigate modifying the interior of the Crayola marker to isolate the ink cartridge and then use the e-Pods inside the Crayola pen body.

Mark
Thomas Walter
View Profile
Elite user
Well, it is strange that at my age, I certanly should have more than
480 Posts

Profile of Thomas Walter
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2022, Magic Mark wrote:
I have ZERO problem with buying replacement refill markers directly from a magic dealer *if* (as promised), those refills are inexpensive. But everyone's definition of "inexpensive" can vary.

For me, "inexpensive" would be $2 per marker. I assume they will be offered in a 6-pack (one of each color, including black) and the 5 colors will be gimmicked to accept the e-pods. So, $12 for a 6-pack would be reasonable.

Today I ordered a set of EIGHT Crayola washable markers from Amazon for $6. That's less than $1 per marker. If I could easily remove the bottom of the Crayola markers, I'd investigate modifying the interior of the Crayola marker to isolate the ink cartridge and then use the e-Pods inside the Crayola pen body
Mark

I agree to all you are sayng, Mark. Rather like that, than a messy DIY project.
And finding other markers that you can put the transmitters into also seems a time consuming and perhabs costly trial and error project. For instance, the diameters of different marker brands vary, The Color Match markers have an outer diameter of 16,6mm. (Note: Not 15,6 as I wrote in my post above.) The Crayola Washable are only 15mm. So, trouble already!
So, yes I will also wait and hope for the best...
Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5907 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
@ Thomas Walter: Yes, I watched that again and you are right. Sorry for the miscommunication.

:xmas>
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
842 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, trickychris wrote:
Can any tell me how long you should charge the receiver ...

Turn on the receiver and you will see a small blue flashing light, the flashing stops when fully charged
trickychris
View Profile
Loyal user
England
260 Posts

Profile of trickychris
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, trickychris wrote:
Can any tell me how long you should charge the receiver ...

Turn on the receiver and you will see a small blue flashing light, the flashing stops when fully charged

Thanks, any ideas though on how long this is?
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2560 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2022, Magic Mark wrote:

Today I ordered a set of EIGHT Crayola washable markers from Amazon for $6. That's less than $1 per marker. If I could easily remove the bottom of the Crayola markers, I'd investigate modifying the interior of the Crayola marker to isolate the ink cartridge and then use the e-Pods inside the Crayola pen body.

Mark

A thing to remember here is the pens will be gimmicked with the internal seal to stop fumes from the ink degrading the electronics so they won't be the price of a standard pen but hopefully not considerably more.

I am somewhat alarmed to read some are trying to find the pens that will fit the gimmicks, there is a real danger unless sealed properly the fumes will kill the electronics so I defiantly would not recommend using different pens.
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5907 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Besides the many excellent effects/routines shared by many prominent magicians, I was very impressed with a routine shared by Craig Petty. The routine does need a bit of effort on the part of the performer but the results are mind-blowing. The routine is named - 'Five Magical Numbers', starts at 1:20:52 Hrs. Also the extra phase (starts at 1:27:25) added to the routine is very simple & straightforward but very effective.

'Five Magical Numbers' has many other possibilities and your imagination will be the only limiting factor.

Check it out and see it for yourself.

Smile
makulit974
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of makulit974
I’m very interested in this but wondering how easy it would be to use the receivers with spray paint bottles?
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco Bay Area
196 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
I’ve been performing various versions of Color Match for several weeks now, about 25 or so times/week. It absolutely kills and I just love the reactions I’m getting. As tricks/props go, this is hands down the best thing I’ve bought in ten years. It’s THAT good.
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
123 Posts

Profile of dunraven
Quote:
On Jun 9, 2022, doktorp wrote:
I will never buy one of the Anverdi products by Murphys again.
I have the 3 dice set and after 1.5 years, 2 of the 3 dice stopped charging.
A friend of mine has the same problems.
For a short time, they work find, then they will fail.
Even for this attractive price, it is way to much.
You better get products from Promystic.
They are more expensive but they sure will last so much longer and won’t fail on you in performance!

I have the same issue. My red die stopped working after about a year. All of my pro mystic tricks continue to work as they did from day one. I did have an issue with flux but Craig fixed it for free. Murphy’s magic? They don’t even tell you how to contact them on their website.
Magic Mark
View Profile
Inner circle
After this post I will have
1176 Posts

Profile of Magic Mark
Quote:
They don’t even tell you how to contact them on their website.

I found it in 2 seconds:

https://www.murphysmagic.com/Contact/

Mark
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1746 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
I just wanted to chip in and say I’ve been working CM for a few months and it’s fantastic!

There was a self-inflicted issue on its first outing but thankfully I could reset the pens in an instant and all was good.

The tech is phenomenal and, as others have said, the fact the pods can be removed used with other items is a huge development. I’ve spoken to Murphy’s about a couple of ideas that will hopefully expand on what can be done with them.

It is one of those routines where the audience should have nothing to go on with regards method.

Congratulations to all concerned with this amazing product.
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Carlosfa
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Carlosfa
I am tempted to buy it but due to what some people say about how some products don't work properly after a while, I haven't bought it yet.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2325 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
Quote:

Christopher you and Taylor Imagineering will be GREATLY missed. ????

I hope to meet you again one day - at a convention or anywhere else to raise a glass at your work!
You brought so many great ideas and items to the table - I’m grateful for every single one.

“The Industry” can use and abuse your work (same goes for ProMystic ??) but they can’t take away your achievements and innovation!
It’s all about innovation but so many can’t appreciate it.
“Us” who perform your effects for 15 years now - we know who is right in this discussion.

Thank you!

Thank you very much for the kind words, they are greatly appreciated.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COLOR MATCH by Tony Anverdi -An amazing utility device with literally HUNDREDS of uses!- Keith Barry (101 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL