The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Environmentally friendly magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gordon the discombobulator
View Profile
Loyal user
244 Posts

Profile of Gordon the discombobulator
Looking for ideas, tricks or statements that demonstrate I am an environmentally friendly magician.
(I am quoting for a close-up gig at a very environmentally conscious company)
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
298 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
I perform passing the weights as taught by Ed Parrish in Pop Haydn’s tutorial available from his website. When I started performing it the only set available was made from aluminum and available from Ronjo Magic. So to justify the props my story was that this is a trick that was performed a couple of hundred years ago for royalty using gold ingots. I don’t have gold ingots but I got these aluminum ingots really cheap off eBay. I understand that 3-4 aluminum cans melted down will give you one of these (as I show one of the weights). You could adapt that sort of presentation to mention recycling.

The theme of sustainability can possibly be incorporated into any torn/cut and restored effect ie with a card, napkin, rope. The props apparently get restored and reused.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2829 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Eco edition Bicycle Playing Cards are made from recycled materials.

What kind of things do you already do? Scripting is what you are looking for and without knowing what types of things you do, helping with what to say is impossible.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Here are a few plots off the top of my head:

Vanish a sponge hamburger and produce 2 sponge carrots, etc.

Torn and recycled newspaper.

Your invisible deck that saves trees.

Multum in Parvo and how you now use less milk. In fact you use almond milk, and less of that!

And Wrayvn makes a great point. What do you do now?
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6078 Posts

Profile of motown
Why not develop presentations that speak to it.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
TheMightyRicardo
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of TheMightyRicardo
You could restore and refill a soda can. Lots of versions on youtube. Tedious to set up though.

In my parlour show, I combine 3 tricks to go from newspaper to liquid to silk to paper money. (Point: Recycling saves money).
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1677 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
The first question is Are you and environmental friendly person? And can you provide facts that show that. Eg planting trees, cleaning beaches, recycling club.
Have some of your props made of recycling material or are made of material that will degrade eg wood,
Also the show is about magic, not about sustainability, so any statement you made has to be subtle and not the center of your show otherwise it will sound fake and will take away for the entertainment
My 2 cents
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1279 Posts

Profile of imgic
Look at the company's mission, products, and clients. Are they focused on recycling? Reducing carbon emissions? Have they won any awards or been noted in the news?

From there, incorporate the important points into scripts...you can script anything.

The Professor's Nightmare becomes a story about the Company balancing environement, cost, and quality, and they're able to make them all equal.

Ring and Rope is a story about how ring is a symbol of commitment, and the company is committed to the environment.

Mark Mason's No Tear T&R Newspaper can be about all the stories about the company's environmental success...how they all come together.

Companies love when you focus on thier work/clients/issues.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Environmentally friendly magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL