The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Combining One Way Backs with Stripper (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of supremefiction
I have a gaff deck concept regarding which there appears to be little prior art. If anyone knows of prior art here, I would appreciate hearing about it.

CONCEPT

The concept is: combine the One-Way Back Principle with the Stripper Deck Principle (the latter could be either traditional side strippers or end strippers; for this application side strippers work best.)

I call it the Mandricaro deck for no particular reason.

Why is this useful?

[Note: I use the word "Bank" to denote a specific set or packet of cards. In the following descriptions there will be two Banks in a 52-card deck.]

The Stripper Principle can be used to ensure one Bank of card backs is facing in one direction (up) and the second Bank of card backs are facing in the second direction (down). The Stripper Principle quickly ensures all One-Way Backs are facing in the direction required to distinguish between them and to get them back in the required orientation for specific effects.

For example, you can deal through the deck and the One-Way Back indicates if a specific card is in Bank 1 or Bank 2.
Bank 1 is a specified set of cards that are narrow at the top when the One-Way Back is up.
Bank 2 is the remainder of the deck that are narrow at the top when the One-Way Back is down.

APPLICATIONS

A couple of applications. Each of these would require a separate a gaffed deck because the cards in Bank 1 and Bank 2 vary in each.

1. Tricks involving binary or "bracelet" stacks. https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/category/2746 See in particular, Karl Fulves' Combo II https://www.conjuringarchive.com/list/book/788 and Leo Boudreau's Spirited Pasteboards. https://www.lybrary.com/spirited-pasteboards-p-93.html The trick in the latter which set me on to this concept was Second Impression, p. 59. There are many tricks in this book to which this concept may be applied.

-Bank 1 is cards with designated Binary Value 1.
-Bank 1 is narrow at the top with the One-Way Back up.

-Bank 2 is cards with designated Binary Value 0.
-Bank 2 is narrow at the top with One-Way Back down.

Briefly, let us say you have a string of 13 cards repeated in CHSD. Within the string of 13 card values, some are designated Binary Value 1 and the remainder are designated Binary Value 0.

Bank 1 is narrow at the top with the One-Way Back up; Bank 2 is narrow at the top with One-Way Back down.
The Stripper feature makes it easy to ensure Bank 1 and Bank 2 are facing in the appropriate direction.

Boudreau can do amazing things with this, the least of which is knowing the next card by observing the four contiguous cards. How is this different than a memorized stack? Again, the deck is arranged so the Stripping is set correctly, thus with the Binary 1 One-Way Back up and the Binary 0s One-Way Back down. Once the deck order is set (13 card value sequence with a 1/0 value repeating four times, CHSD), you do not need to remember the stack. Remember a string of thirteen 1s and 0s.

2. Red/Black Separation

-Bank 1 is Red cards (Hearts, Diamonds).

-Bank 2 is Black cards (Spades, Clubs).
-Bank 2 is narrow at the top with One Way-Back down.

Use the Stripper feature to ensure all the cards are always pointing in the "correct" direction. When you look at the backs you can tell Red from Black.

3. Custom Separation

-Bank 1 is 20 cards with a Blackjack value of 10 (A, K, Q, J, 10)

-Bank 2 is 32 other cards.
-Bank 2 is narrow at the top with One-Way Back down.

Use the Stripper feature to ensure all the cards are always pointing in the "correct" direction. You can do a Blackjack demo or whatever.

4. Tell me your ideas!

I can't think of any at the moment, perhaps the 10-card poker deal.

HOW TO GET YOUR DECK(s)

I highly recommend www.slimcardco.com

I have had a very good experience working with Steph of Slim Card Co.

STEPS

a) Identify your desired One-Way Back Design deck.
b) Identify your desired application and thus the required card sets for Bank 1 and Bank 2. Remember, for your specific application:

-Bank 1 is a specified set of cards that are narrow at the top when the One-Way Back is up.
-Bank 2 is the remainder of the deck that are narrow at the top when the One-Way Back is down.

c) Email Steph for information on One Way Back Design deck availability and pricing.

Or--

a) Order two decks and mix and match your own Banks.

-Deck 1 is 52 cards that are narrow at the top when the One-Way Back is up.
-Deck 2 is 52 cards that are narrow at the top when the One-Way Back is down.

b) Email Steph for information on One-Way Back Design deck availability and pricing.

I hope this description is clear and that the idea sparks your imagination. Very interested to hear your thoughts.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
This makes no sense to me.
You want to distinguish one group of cards from another (e.g. reds from backs). And the proposed solution is (1) to use a one-way back - which means each card MUST be correctly orientated to correctly indicate its colour (2) to combine with a stripper deck to "ensure" the cards are all correctly oriented.

What's the point? Just mark the reds or blacks with an indicator that is independent of orientation. In fact you can mark a card with multiple marks. Eg I could easily create a system to mark each card as red/black AND high/low or whatever I want. (Or just mark with its suit and value!!! - which tells you what you need to know).

What problem are you trying to solve?
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. It is a very good question.

My best attempt above to be clear did not quite make it. Let me try to restate it, since I think this is a neat idea and perhaps someone else might enjoy it.

BTW I agree the method I described seems like going a long way out of the way for something that can much more easily be accomplished using a marked deck. But in response to this I ask the rhetorical question: is this not true of most methods that do not use a marked deck?
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

BENEFIT OF THE ONE-WAY BACK

The up/down orientation of the one-way back simply facilitates _rapidly identifying_ which of two classes is a given face down card. These two classes would me meaningful in the context of the effect (e.g., OOTW).

The orientation of the back thus acts almost like a coarse marking system, but only for determining if a specific face-down card belongs to one of two predetermined classes of cards (e.g., up/down = red/back; or up/down = court/pip; or up/down = 0/1 in a binary sequence).

--> So why not simply use marked cards?

It is a question of application for the specific effect. Think of the famous Scarne anecdote where he gave the deck to the spectator and walked to the opposite side of the room to proceed with the effect.

For example, 1) the one-way back may be more suitable when used from a distance, or 2) the one-way back may more suitable when the cards are being rapidly dealt, or 3) the one-way back may be more suitable when the spectator is handling the deck.

--> But I agree, in many if not all circumstances you could simply use marked cards with very obvious markings to address a similar need.

BENEFIT OF THE STRIPPER IN COMBINATION WITH THE ONE-WAY BACK

The wide/narrow taper of the cards simply facilitates _rapidly restoring_ the desired up/down orientation of the one-way backs after the cards are mixed.
supremefiction
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Nikodemus, did that add any value?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Gaffed & Funky » » Combining One Way Backs with Stripper (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL