The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Books (unique request for the well read…) (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DennisChester
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of DennisChester
Looking for your advice on books that teach skills or techniques that overlap both magic and life in different ways. Not really looking for strictly magic texts, but you will see a few listed that I feel overlap a wider use beyond only sleights or trick-based approaches.

These are examples to help explain what types I am thinking of/have read so far:

Cold Facts Book of Cold Reading - Ian Rowlands
Rock Break Scissors - William Poundstone
Mind Performance Hacks - Hale Evans
Magic and Showmanship - Nelms
Magic by Misdirection - Fitzkee
The Monographs - Ben Cardall
Snoop - Sam Gosling
Secrets of Mental Math - Benjamin and Shermer
Into the Magic Shop - James Doty
Memory Mastery - Harry Lorayne
Never Split the Difference - Chris Voss
Statistics Hacks - Bruce Fey
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Strong Magic - Darwin Ortiz
Approaching Magic - David Regal
Pretty much anything by Eugene Burger
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
Escamoteur
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Escamoteur
The Alchemical Tools - Paul Brook
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Kudos on your search and focus.

my Free eBooks offerings on lybrary.com meet that objective of "affect" as well as "effect," and the "why of things" rather than just "what" and "how."

Some of my "Presentation Series" go even further. I do not want people to purchase effect and routines without full understanding of the work required
for an impactful presentation rather than just "doing tricks."

I would suggest you also add some readings on neuroscience such as those by V. S. Ramachandran to update the material of older books based on wrong/incomplete
understanding of our minds work - psychological ploys, decision making, etc.

drop me request to ken@eversway.com with more info about self, and I'll send a copy of "Satchel of Secrets"

Also "Beyond Secrets" by Jay Sankey
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
JG
View Profile
New user
44 Posts

Profile of JG
Here are a few to try…

Real Magic - Dean Radin
Signs: The secret language of the universe
The Magic Way - Juan Tamariz
How To Win Friends and Influence People - Dale Carnegie

Good luck in your search.
"PANTHERA - Improve and Develop Your Mentalism" by Jack Goldstein - a large hard backed limited edition book of mentalism, over 30 top contributors, with professional effects and essays.

Buy it now through Michael Murray at MindFX: https://www.mindfx.co.uk/

Lulu.com
https://www.lulu.com/shop/jack-goldstein/panthera/hardcover/product-m9w6w9.html?page=1&pageSize=4
DennisChester
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of DennisChester
Thank you all! Great suggestions!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"Our Magic" by J.N. Maskelyne and D. Devant

"The Psychic Mafia" by A. Spraggett and M.L. Keene
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
"Influence" by Robert Cialdini.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"The Golden Rule of Schmoozing" by Aye Jaye

Out of print, but available on Overdrive!

https://www.overdrive.com/media/58305/th......hmoozing
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2831 Posts

Profile of Bob G
The Skeptical Inquirer -- a now-defunct periodical in which scientists did serious controlled experiments to test the validiity of ideas like astrology, "more crime at full moon," etc.

Fads and Fallacies in the name of science -- Martin Gardner. Another entertaining debunking of psedudo-science.

Mathematics, Magic, and Mystery -- Martin Gardner. Lots of charming, off-beat tricks based on mathematical principles, with some interesting history.

Any of Gardner's collecctions from his "Mathematical Games" column in Scientific American. Gardner was a Rennaisance man: a highly respected creator of magic tricks, a mathematician, philospher...

Many of Roberto Giobbi's books, e. g., Secret Agenda

Two authors who, in very different ways, ponder the ineffably mysterious nature of the world: G. K. Chesterton (best known for his Father Brown detective stories -- utterly different from the TV series based on them), and Jorge Luis Borges.

Bob
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Books (unique request for the well read…) (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL