The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Café is Back in Business ! Let's support it. (124 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2022, RNK wrote:
Even if they donations go to the staff, as someone else here stated, these are volunteers that could easily be spending their time elsewhere.

TOTALLY agree. But Scribner says he's not been paid for 20 years, I understand Gene isn't paid either. So, it seems it is not going to the staff. I agree with you, be VERY happy to chip in for those unsung heroes. But they say they're not being paid. My question therefore remains. Where are the donations going?

Again, for clarity, very very happy to chip in, just want to know where the money is going. It's not staff costs. It's not hosting costs ($7 a month low end, $50 high end). Steve has said this is a not for profit website. So why are they asking for/accepting donations?

A little clarity would certainly increase the donations - assuming they are actually needed/used well.
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2702 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Donation Complete! Smile
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2022, magicmind wrote:
Donation Complete! Smile

Good for you. As you're in the habit of donating money when you don't understand where it is going or what it is being used for, if I send you my PayPal, you wanna toss me a few bones? Smile
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6273 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2022, DevGuy wrote:
Quote:
Even if they donations go to the staff, as someone else here stated, these are volunteers that could easily be spending their time elsewhere.

TOTALLY agree. But Scribner says he's not been paid for 20 years, I understand Gene isn't paid either. So, it seems it is not going to the staff. I agree with you, be VERY happy to chip in for those unsung heroes. But they say they're not being paid. My question therefore remains. Where are the donations going?

Again, for clarity, very very happy to chip in, just want to know where the money is going. It's not staff costs. It's not hosting costs ($7 a month low end, $50 high end). Steve has said this is a not for profit website. So why are they asking for/accepting donations?

A little clarity would certainly increase the donations - assuming they are actually needed/used well.

Ah! I did not know they have never been paid. Hmm.....
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6016 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
. So I just am not sure why "donations" are being solicited for something Scribner said is non profit.

If they explain, and they need it, I would be VERY happy to chip in. As it is, I don't understand why they are asking for money. Do you?

Just to be clear, to my knowledge the Café has never solicited donations. Other members, including myself, have suggested donations on behalf of the Café but that is out of the control of the Café administrators.
The Café does not text, email, or contact members asking for donations. They will accept them and have created a direct link to make it easier if a member should wish to donate, but I am not aware of them ever asking for donations for the Café itself.

Secondly, I sense that in reality DevGuy would NOT be "VERY happy to chip in". He would likely disagree or "have questions" about any answer provided because he has already made it quite clear that based on his research there is no financial reason the Café should need donations.

The Café is a pretty small group by most internet standards. I doubt anyone is getting rich off it. If it is your belief that you do not wish to donate because you do not agree with Steve perhaps giving Gene a gift card of some sort for all his hard work because Gene is a volunteer and is therefore not entitled to receive anything of value for his time and effort and sacrifices then fine, don't donate.

If this were a large non-profit organization constantly fund-raising and asking for donations, then I would agree that they should be very open and transparent about where the money is going and how it is being used. But this is more akin to choosing to help out a friend who has done you many favors in the past.

Bottom line is if you need to know exactly how every cent you donate is being used then you shouldn't donate because that is probably not going to happen. But if you enjoy the Café and derive benefit from it and are willing and able to help out a bit as a fellow magician then consider donating. My guess is a VERY small percentage of members here donate anything. If the Café were to disappear due to lack of funds, for example if they were no longer able to find volunteers, many of those members who never gave, perhaps even DevGuy, may wish they had done more to support the Café.

AFA as the staff being paid, that is different from being given a little sumpin sumpin here and there. I doubt they are retiring off what comes their way. Besides, the money all seems to go to Gene anyway according to the paypal address and if he keeps it all or Steve keeps it all and the other volunteers don't have a problem with that, then it's fine.

Finally, I'd really like someone else to confirm the $7 cost. That seems unbelievably cheap to me and certainly that is not the only cost involved in running this place.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6273 Posts

Profile of RNK
Even though my website is not up and running I still pay once annually to keep my address and hosting. All I have to do is finish my website and it could be on the net. I just have not done it yet. That being said, I pay one annual fee of $323.64 for this. Monthly that equals $26.97 to have a website on the internet. Now, I admit I do not know what other charges are involved for extra memory storage for others sites such as The Café that have such a huge data bank.
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:

Ah! I did not know they have never been paid. Hmm.....

I didn't know that either, but it's what Dave himself said.
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2022, videoman wrote:

Finally, I'd really like someone else to confirm the $7 cost. That seems unbelievably cheap to me and certainly that is not the only cost involved in running this place.

Confirm it yourself.

This is who they host with and their pricing:

https://www.reliablesite.net/web-hosting/shared-hosting.aspx

They have 5 different domains on the shared server they're on. So they will have to pay $2 more than the $5 base rate.

Hosting really is very cheap nowadays.
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
Even though my website is not up and running I still pay once annually to keep my address and hosting. All I have to do is finish my website and it could be on the net. I just have not done it yet. That being said, I pay one annual fee of $323.64 for this. Monthly that equals $26.97 to have a website on the internet. Now, I admit I do not know what other charges are involved for extra memory storage for others sites such as The Café that have such a huge data bank.

You are being screwed!

A domain costs around $10 a year, and basic hosting is about $5 a month

There are no extra charges for databases. It's all included here: https://www.reliablesite.net/web-hosting/shared-hosting.aspx

But seriously, cancel whoever you are giving that much money to for nothing! If you want any recommendations for good hosts PM me.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6273 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Quote:

You are being screwed!

There are no extra charges for databases. It's all included here: https://www.reliablesite.net/web-hosting/shared-hosting.aspx

But seriously, cancel whoever you are giving that much money to for nothing! If you want any recommendations for good hosts PM me.

Will do. I purchased this many years ago and neve cancelled because I didn't want my domain name/address to be taken so that is why I have kept it. I will be in contact. Thank you!!!
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
849 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Quote:
The hard cost of maintaining the site is $7 a month. The volunteers do not get paid (the clue is in the word "volunteer").

Oh contraire…the clue is in the word “donation.” It’s not mandatory. Though are volunteers not worthy of a donation for their time and effort?
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
813 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:

I am not sure about your price statement,aren't there extra costs for "Disk Space" and "Bandwidth" ?
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Veteran user
397 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
Quote:

You are being screwed!

That's if there's zero traffic and zero content on the servers. I worked for a hosting company throughout my 20s. These days, your average website costs hundreds to thousands of dollars a month to keep up, using an inexpensive hosting service. Major websites are more likely to cost tens or hundreds of thousands.

The Magic Café is likely costing somewhere around $300- $500 a month to keep up, maybe less if the code is really tight.
eddie1
View Profile
Regular user
UK
154 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2022, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
Quote:
The hard cost of maintaining the site is $7 a month. The volunteers do not get paid (the clue is in the word "volunteer").

Oh contraire…the clue is in the word “donation.” It’s not mandatory. Though are volunteers not worthy of a donation for their time and effort?

Yes they are, but the money does not go to the volunteers. Not a single penny. What are you not understanding?
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Quote:

I am not sure about your price statement,aren't there extra costs for "Disk Space" and "Bandwidth" ?

Very small costs, yes. They definitely are not exceeding the free bandwidth allowance, as for the disk space, possibly, but even so it's an extra couple of bucks.
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, AutarchicFlux wrote:
These days, your average website costs hundreds to thousands of dollars a month to keep up, using an inexpensive hosting service. Major websites are more likely to cost tens or hundreds of thousands.

The Magic Café is likely costing somewhere around $300- $500 a month to keep up, maybe less if the code is really tight.

Funny.

Things have clearly changed since you were in your twenties.

Look at the pricing page of the host. You can see for yourself what it costs: https://www.reliablesite.net/web-hosting/shared-hosting.aspx

Just for fun, let's trick it out to the max: 10,000 MB storage +$8, 500GB bandwidth (lol), an extra $40. There are 4 additional domains running on the ip, which is an extra 50c a month. That's $53.50.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5879 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
IMO, I think we have discussed enough the modalities and cost of hosting a website. It will be nice if we can PLEASE get back on topic.

Thank you so much for your kind understanding.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
50 Posts

Profile of mandrax
Great news, I was missing the Café!!
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, Ustaad wrote:
IMO, I think we have discussed enough the modalities and cost of hosting a website. It will be nice if we can PLEASE get back on topic.

Thank you so much for your kind understanding.

Smile

The topic seems to be about donating to support the Café. All people are doing is asking where the donations are going. Seeing as the staff don't get paid, the site is not for profit, Steve pays for the hosting out of his own pocket and there is ad revenue.

I think it's reasonable to ask where the donations are going.

As I said, very happy to donate if money is needed, I'm just at a loss as to what the money is being used for.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
813 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
I am working on vanishinging this barren donation topic

Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Café is Back in Business ! Let's support it. (124 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL