The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Café is Back in Business ! Let's support it. (124 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
I am working on vanishinging this barren donation topic

Smile

The whole thread is about donating. I'm just wondering where the donations go is all.
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3735 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Hey gang,

Just found this thread and thought I might chime in...would that be okay? Good, because I'm going to anyway (imagine that, posting on my own website, who would have thunk it?) Smile

Before I begin I would encourage all of you to read my Thank you everyone! post I made a few days ago. It is sincere in both my gratitude for years of your support (you know who you are) and my disgust for the trolls (who also know who they are) who appear here from time to time. Smile

I did NOT start this topic nor did I ask anyone too. Obviously Café member balzar (who has supported this website for the last 13 plus years) took it upon himself to thank our Café team for our work and then he made a suggestion that if any of you were so inclined you might consider a donation of some kind. Pretty nice of him and I did not sense anything nefarious in his intentions whatsoever. In fact, it felt nice to know that folks appreciate all our efforts here behind the scenes. Thanks balzar. YOU are awesome! And yes, the Big Kahuna himself just said it. You all know that because I actually use my real name here...I have absolutely nothing to hide and stand behind my own opinions for good or bad - It is actually me...just sayin' Smile

Speaking of donations and I believe that's what this topic was about, The Magic Café® Donation Page link at the top right hand corner of the page has been there for many, many, many years; this is not a recent addition whatsoever. Actually, it's old news...unless of course you are new to this community. Our Café community is very well aware of not only that option but the fact that all donations go directly to my tech man Gene Brott, not me. I have no idea when someone donates nor how much. Heck, Gene might be a multimillionaire by now...but I doubt it. Smile

So where was I? Oh yea, naive new members such as DevGuy (or whatever his / her name is) who has only recently joined our little community. I assume he or she is interested in magic due to them actually joining the forum. Thus far I'm not sure though since half of their posts are in this topic and appear to read like they are coming from a antagonist's point of view rather than a magician wanting to help another magician. Opinions are always welcome but my staff and I owe you absolutely nothing. I'm not sure how they do things in the United Kingdom but here in the states things are quite a bit different. The Magic Café® is a free resource for anyone who loves magic. We ask nothing from you except a little respect and common courtesy. You are not a stock holder, you pay no membership dues of any kind and therefore (once again) we owe you nothing. Zero. Zilch. If you do not wish to donate then don't. Pretty simple. Got it? I hope you do. If I have offended you, too bad. You may leave anytime you like. Smile

To everyone else: Once again I thank you from the bottom of my heart - seriously, I truly mean it.

For those of you who wish to make a goodwill donation for my wife and I, my nieces set-up a GoFundMe page to help us and any amount is greatly appreciated. It has been almost 2 years since Mya has been home, so as you might imagine things really have been rough here. There, I actually solicited a donation. Smile

God Bless all of you... Smile

---
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1506 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Thank You, Steve for everything and all that you have done for the magic community. Blessings upon you and your family! Smile

Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, DevGuy wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, Ustaad wrote:
IMO, I think we have discussed enough the modalities and cost of hosting a website. It will be nice if we can PLEASE get back on topic.

Thank you so much for your kind understanding.

Smile

The topic seems to be about donating to support the Café. All people are doing is asking where the donations are going. Seeing as the staff don't get paid, the site is not for profit, Steve pays for the hosting out of his own pocket and there is ad revenue.

I think it's reasonable to ask where the donations are going.

As I said, very happy to donate if money is needed, I'm just at a loss as to what the money is being used for.

I don't believe anyone said that money is needed or asked for donations towards a particular thing. So then think of the donations as a TIP or a gratuity. When you tip the magician busking on the street or when you tip your bartender it isn't customary to ask what your tip will be spent on.
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
eddie1
View Profile
Regular user
UK
154 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2022, EZrhythm wrote:
Thank You, Steve for everything and all that you have done for the magic community. Blessings upon you and your family! Smile

Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, DevGuy wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, Ustaad wrote:
IMO, I think we have discussed enough the modalities and cost of hosting a website. It will be nice if we can PLEASE get back on topic.

Thank you so much for your kind understanding.

Smile

The topic seems to be about donating to support the Café. All people are doing is asking where the donations are going. Seeing as the staff don't get paid, the site is not for profit, Steve pays for the hosting out of his own pocket and there is ad revenue.

I think it's reasonable to ask where the donations are going.

As I said, very happy to donate if money is needed, I'm just at a loss as to what the money is being used for.

I don't believe anyone said that money is needed or asked for donations towards a particular thing. So then think of the donations as a TIP or a gratuity. When you tip the magician busking on the street or when you tip your bartender it isn't customary to ask what your tip will be spent on.

You’re once again missing the point. If the site was for profit, absolutely no problem, they have every right. Even DevGuy has said that multiple times. But there was a claim that it is not for profit and that’s why DevGuy is asking where the money goes, if not the staff. The dishonesty is the problem.

As a side note, if there is profit, the staff should be paid a proportion of said profit IMO.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Café is Back in Business ! Let's support it. (124 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL