The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Café is Back in Business ! Let's support it. (124 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3174 Posts

Profile of tophatter
YES THE Café IS BACK SO HAPPY !!!!
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6442 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2022, tophatter wrote:
YES THE Café IS BACK SO HAPPY !!!!

Agree! Such a fantastic resource Café is!! Not to mention all the members here, never knew I could miss people that I've never physically met, lol.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
978 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Also sent a donation; everyone should do the same if you are able.
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4131 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Agreed - and done Smile . Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6102 Posts

Profile of videoman
It would be nice for those that can and feel it worthy to remember to donate regularly or annually, whatever you can.

The Café can often get a bad rap but it truly does provide a ton of useful information. I have even made several friends here. In fact, I recently met up with two others who live in other parts of the world and we would have never known of one another if not for the Café.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3001 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Jul 27, 2022, videoman wrote:
It would be nice for those that can and feel it worthy to remember to donate regularly or annually, whatever you can.

The Café can often get a bad rap but it truly does provide a ton of useful information. I have even made several friends here. In fact, I recently met up with two others who live in other parts of the world and we would have never known of one another if not for the Café.

Agreed 100%
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10725 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Glad the Café is back! Woo-hoo
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Piers1
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Piers1
It's back - spiffing!
Used to be Piers
but could not reset my Password,
so I am now Piers1

pierscasimir at g mail .com
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:

Sorry to ask again, but what are we donating for?

Hosting is very cheap, so I am unsure what other overheads need paying for that the extensive advertising revenue doesn't cover. The "admins" are all unpaid volunteers aren't they?

I heard Mr Brooks had some health issues, are the donations for that? I'm sure not clear about who needs money and for what?
balzar
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of balzar
Re:
'Sorry to ask again, but what are we donating for?'

I cannot speak for others here, but I believe that online resources that one uses regularly, and that one derives real value from, deserve financial support. In my case, this site has provided a wealth of information unlike anything else I have found online or off and, during the recent outage, I realized what a great loss it would be if it were to disappear.

As for what the money goes to? In my experience, there are both hard and soft costs to running a site such as this. As for the latter, if, in fact, the administrators do work for free, perhaps donations would allow the powers that be here to buy them a good dinner, or cut them a cheque occasionally, maybe even devote some extra resources to fix some of the many bugs that we encounter frequently. Counting on people to work for free to provide a resource you use and find valuable strikes me as tenuous and, I would go as far to say, ethically dubious proposition.

As far as the 'extensive advertising revenue' you refer to, I have no idea how much revenue is generated by the fairly limited advertising in evidence here, but I suspect it is not significant.

Most of us have boxes full of magic equipment that we spent a considerable amount on, that proved of limited utility. As others pointed out, if nothing else, this site allows us to learn more about effects before we purchase them, and in doing so saves us money. The wealth of information here is a veritable library and, I would go as far to say, an irreplaceable one.

Supporting the site, be it for the owner, or the cost of maintenance/upkeep, seems to me simply the right thing to do. The notion that things on the internet are therefore 'free' is a pernicious one, and has every likelihood of being the death of forums such as this one.

Lastly, when you ask 'What are we donating for?', are we to take it that you have also donated? Or is that the editorial 'we'?

You are, of course, free to enjoy this resource without paying anything, but I am not sure how constructive it is to suggest that those who are parting with their hard-earned money to support the site are somehow misguided.
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
OK brah, I only asked.

I didn't suggest we shouldn't, I just wondered who was asking for donations and what they were for.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6102 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, DevGuy wrote:
Quote:

Hosting is very cheap, so I am unsure what other overheads need paying for that the extensive advertising revenue doesn't cover. The "admins" are all unpaid volunteers aren't they?

I heard Mr Brooks had some health issues, are the donations for that? I'm sure not clear about who needs money and for what?

If you click on the link in the upper right corner which says Magic Café Donations there is a fairly lengthy explanation as to why donations are helpful. If you agree and can afford to then give what you like. If not then ignore this entire thread and move on. Donations are entirely optional, when they aren’t they are called fees.

Also, this may be just my opinion but I feel Steve Brooks is welcome to use our donations in any way he likes. I don’t feel he has to account for every cent being put back into the Café itself.
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
839 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, videoman wrote:
If you click on the link in the upper right corner which says Magic Café Donations there is a explanation

Videoman Smile thank you for the hint Smile https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/donate.php
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4893 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, DevGuy wrote:
Quote:

First of all Steve Brook's personal situations have nothing to do with the Café and he would never take money from the Café for personal reasons. If you read Steve's opening message about why the Café was started you'd realize it wasn't started as a profit making business. Much of the operating expenses of the Café such as the server rental come out of Steve's own pocket. He never asked for help or for donations and never charged a fee to be a member and never will. As a Café staff member for 20 years, as has been mentioned previously, I can tell you that noone has ever been paid one penny for helping to manage this site.

Regardless of the operating expenses whether cheap or not (have you checked the actual cost of maintaining a server lately) we all enjoy the Café and what it has to offer for free. Noone is asking for a donation but the option is there for anyone who has a desire to help out.

And as far as revenue from our advertisers, as mentioned in the donation section, many of the banner ads you see do not generate revenue but are placed in exchange for ads for the Café on other sites. Example in exchange for the IBM allowing the Café to be advertised in the Linking Ring, a banner for the IBM might appear on the Café. "Quid pro Quo"
Where the magic begins
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, Dave Scribner wrote:have you checked the actual cost of maintaining a server lately

For the host you are using, for five domains that you have on this IP, the cost is $7 a month according to their website. Even if you had a dedicated box it would be just $47.

You work for free, I believe Gene does too. You said Steve pays the $7 out of his own pocket, so where are the donations going if this is not for profit?

Love this place, more than happy to chip in some money, just want to understand what it will be used for. I think that's reasonable.
PendletonThe3rd
View Profile
Special user
867 Posts

Profile of PendletonThe3rd
Just read the info on the link.

Pretty simple, either Contribute towards the hard cost of maintaining the site, and the volunteers’ time, or not.
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2022, PendletonThe3rd wrote:
Just read the info on the link.

Pretty simple, either Contribute towards the hard cost of maintaining the site, and the volunteers’ time, or not.

The hard cost of maintaining the site is $7 a month. The volunteers do not get paid (the clue is in the word "volunteer").

So where are the donations going?

I think it's really perfectly reasonable to ask where the donations are going. Steve pays for the $7 hosting "out of his own pocket". The volunteers do not get paid. There is ad revenue. So I just am not sure why "donations" are being solicited for something Scribner said is non profit.

If they explain, and they need it, I would be VERY happy to chip in. As it is, I don't understand why they are asking for money. Do you?
eddie1
View Profile
Regular user
UK
182 Posts

Profile of eddie1
Very reasonable question. If not profit, then what? It’s already been mentioned that staff aren’t paid a single penny and server costs are cheap as we know.

I see no problem with donations regardless of where they’re going, but at least be honest about it.
DevGuy
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DevGuy
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2022, eddie1 wrote:
Very reasonable question. If not profit, then what? It’s already been mentioned that staff aren’t paid a single penny and server costs are cheap as we know.

I see no problem with donations regardless of where they’re going, but at least be honest about it.

Ya know, if it was profit, I'd still be happy to chip in. This is a very useful website. I just want to know what the money is being used for, because it's certainly not hosting costs or staff wages. So it's just unclear to me where the donations go.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6442 Posts

Profile of RNK
Even if they donations go to the staff, as someone else here stated, these are volunteers that could easily be spending their time elsewhere. I have no issues if some of the donations go to them for their efforts to keep the Café up and running. This is the BEST magic resource out there IMO. It would be a travesty if it was lost forever.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Café is Back in Business ! Let's support it. (124 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL