The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ring Hole by Peter Eggink (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12569 Posts

Profile of John C
I would have called it the black hole.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2736 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
This really intrigues me I went ahead and ordered the vanish looks amazing.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2091 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Yes the vanish is pretty neat, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed - again curious as to who came up with that first it’s actually a good idea imo. Wonder if it’s something that has been used before.
Ben
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2091 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Jul 29, 2022, giochi wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, goldeneye007 wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, giochi wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2022, goldeneye007 wrote:
Well I was afraid I’d be disappointed and it’s actually all right imo. I was surprised by the vanish phase, I wasn’t expecting that - not something I had seen before and I’ll most probably use it. It’s inspired by other systems that have been used in the past (Interlace by Richard Sanders, Rodrigo Romano’s Coin to Wallet or Cyclic Ring which I really like - I have actually modified Cyclic Ring to have the ring appear in my back pocket while only wearing a t-shirt) but I haven’t seen the actual vanish done like that: with this addition (the rest of the system is pretty much the same idea) there is no move (or hardly any) - you just cover the ring for a second and it vanishes. It’s that clean. No !@#$e transfer or waving of the hand, you literally just cover the ring and it’s done, just like in the video (and no it’s not a p**l).

You do need a shirt or a jacket to perform this and while the spectator could theoretically open the packet himself with some spec management they wouldn’t be able to keep it. I’m not sure what to think of the appearance in the candy pack. I think I was expecting something different - it does what it says though but I think I was expecting a system that would enable you to literally hand them the candy pack, having them inspect it and open it but it’s not that. You can relatively freely show it from all angles but they wouldn’t be able to handle it for too long. Still an interesting idea though.

Thanks for this! Can you make it just appear in your pocket or elsewhere to make it appear somewhere else other than the candy wrapper?

Basically I wasn’t sure what to expect from the vanish (I even thought it might be edited on the video) and I was pleasantly surprised (even when receiving the gimmick I still didn’t guess how it worked) and I had other expectations for the appearance and it’s not what I thought. You also only get materials to gimmick one pack only but refills are very cheap and you can find them very easily. Making the gimmick is also really easy and quick.

Overall I quite like it, I’ll definitely use the vanish which I find quite clever (would be interested to know if he came up with that - also, in case some people wondering, the vanish is tailored for rings only, don’t get this if you expect to use it for coins), as for the appearance, honestly why not, it’s still quite interesting, I don’t think I’ll let them open the candy pack and I’ll probably do a switch in the end to let them keep a pack because let’s face it, they’ll probably want to have a look at it… but that’s optional of course.

Finally no comment on the presentation… I definitely won’t use his! Smile

Thanks for this! Can you just retrieve the ring from your pocket or elsewhere in order to make it reappear somewhere else?

Yep! And in that case set-up is minimal (maybe about a minute) and there isn’t really any reset.

Thanks again for the helpful info! Just curious, do you prefer this over Cyclic Ring?

Hmmm well the ring flight principle is really the same, what’s different is the vanish itself (sleight of hand in cyclic ring vs. no sleight of hand here) and the reappearance inside a candy pack. It’s a difficult question, I’m a massive fan of that ring flight principle (which can be used with any small object really) so for me that the main big thing. Then ring hole just adds two “smaller” things which are both interesting. You can’t perform ring hole with anything else than a ring though (the vanish itself I mean, the rest can be done with any small object). So not sure what to answer sorry Smile also - just to be clear I don’t perform cyclic ring like Rodrigo, when I do it (with a coin or a ring), it appears in a bag in my back pocket. Maybe an answer for you is if you already really like cyclic ring maybe you don’t really need ring hole. I like the vanish that’s taught though it’s a good addition to have (and super easy to do).
Ben
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
How is this meaningfully different from the recent Haribo? https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S33290

And don't tell me that the brand of candy changes anything.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
How is this meaningfully different from the recent Haribo? https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S33290

The brand of candy
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2280 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
I've just hit my limit buying terrible tricks from this creator, can't go back.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2091 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:

I’m not familiar with the Haribo one you link here but a few comments:
1) with Ring Hole you can use any candy pack as long as it fits in one of your pockets (so any brand)
2) from the video of that Haribo thing I’m guessing that the method is different as he leaves the opened packet with the spectator in the end but my guess is you wouldn’t be able to let the spectator open the pack himself; I wouldn’t do it with ring hole either but it would be much more doable (if my guess is right); my guess is here the packets are gimmicked in the same way as the old card to envelope and the vanish (although you don’t really see it) is very different (same vanish as Flite I’m guessing). Which makes me wonder why it’s so expensive so I might be wrong.
3) due to the nature of the ring flight, I don’t think you would be able to combine that Haribo thing with Ring Hole
Ben
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2091 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
I watched the Haribo video again and I suppose the design of the packet helps with the method. You probably could use other packs but you might not be able to show them as freely (again just a guess from me).
Ben
DaphneFairfax
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of DaphneFairfax
Seriously, no one is performing this in real live situations.

Even Eggink himself couldn't stage a person to person performance for the trailer.

The method works, but it is awful. Possibly the worse solution on the market.
Ross Magic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Ross Magic
The difference between this version and the Haribo version is the Haribo packet doesn't come from another dimension.
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
123 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I would never buy anything from him based on a trailer after the fraud that was card through window.
Roberto W
View Profile
Special user
629 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2022, dunraven wrote:
I would never buy anything from him based on a trailer after the fraud that was card through window.

Sad thing is, his reputation is only getting worse not better.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
2994 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2022, dunraven wrote:

At this point, with his history, I wouldn't buy anything he comes out with. I can't believe anyone even looks at his stuff anymore.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
546 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
No question his track record of late has not been good, but he was a good creator before that and could be again. Plus I have heard that this is really Alex Latorre's effect. Perhaps someone knows?

In any event, this is not getting universally panned like the last bunch of releases. Ben likes it and James from Magic Shop San Diego gave it a good review.

dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
123 Posts

Profile of dunraven
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2022, CardGuyMike wrote:
No question his track record of late has not been good, but he was a good creator before that and could be again. Plus I have heard that this is really Alex Latorre's effect. Perhaps someone knows?

In any event, this is not getting universally panned like the last bunch of releases. Ben likes it and James from Magic Shop San Diego gave it a good review.

So “working” magicians are okay with complicated setups with angle and clothing restrictions? And he doesn’t understand why Eggink has a bad reputation? Really? I guess a ‘working’ magician is OK having to put giant Wi-Fi stickers on windows (that are not in the carefully shot promo reels) before performing “magic” where the card appears a few inches below the giant sticker. This review hardly sold me. I’ll wait for Craig.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2091 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2022, dunraven wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2022, CardGuyMike wrote:

So “working” magicians are okay with complicated setups with angle and clothing restrictions? And he doesn’t understand why Eggink has a bad reputation? Really? I guess a ‘working’ magician is OK having to put giant Wi-Fi stickers on windows (that are not in the carefully shot promo reels) before performing “magic” where the card appears a few inches below the giant sticker. This review hardly sold me. I’ll wait for Craig.

Complicated setups maybe not (and that actually really depends on the effect... Cantastic for example comes to mind as having quite a "complicated" setup but I absolutely LOVE performing it and have performed it probably close to 100 times now - it has to be a closer though) but angle and clothing restrictions should be a problem? Really? Ask David Stone and so many other big names what they think about that... Also I'm not sure what you mean by "giant WiFi sticker"? Are you referring to another of Peter's effect (apologies I'm not familiar with all of them).

In any case this is a thread about Ring Hole, not about bashing Peter - if you want to criticise a specific effect I suggest you go to the corresponding thread. I think we've understood by now that quite a few of you have been disappointed by some of his releases and I'm sorry to hear that. I still stand by what I say on Ring Hole in any case, the vanish (and flight) of the ring is probably one of the cleanest I've seen (probably cleaner than a p**l) - yes it uses a one-time setup (which I wouldn't call complicated) and yes it is a bit angly, you can't have anyone on your sides really but that's the case for a LOT of moves. Then the appearance in the candy pack is all right, it has some limitations (you can't give the candy pack away and then you need to make a new one after each performance or have a few gimmicked packs ready but honestly I don't feel that the setup is complicated) but it is quite fooling. Also with a bit of imagination, and with a slightly different presentation you could actually give the pack away if you don't really "gimmick" the pack but you would need to open the pack yourself (I haven't tried that yet but definitely intend to).
Ben
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Ring Hole by Peter Eggink (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL