The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Hermit Magazine - August (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kardillusions
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
486 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
As it's the first of the month, The Hermit's August issue is now available! Find it on Lybrary.com when it gets uploaded in the next day or two, or visit www.hermitmagic.com for more information.

Vol. 1 No. 8 features:

Once again, The Hermit is proud to present Kyle Leon, who shares "A Cartoon Magic Effect" (ACME). This is a loony, original, highly visual effect, where the hole in a spectator’s signed card is mysteriously removed – like something straight out of a cartoon! And Kyle's routine isn't just good on camera- it's a real-world fooler!

Mentalist Boyet Vargas presents "All Four Two". That's right, The Hermit will be delving into the territory of mentalism! This is a mind reading effect where the mentalist identifies objects that the Spectator is thinking of. The routine uses no force, can be performed propless, and can use any objects that you choose! You can even perform it via video call. The effect is based on a newly-developed principle which can be used to create other new and existing effects.

Scott Baird teaches "Lean Travellers". This is my take on the Invisible Palm / Open Travellers plot. The routine is “lean” because you truly start with just four cards, and work from being one behind. The final vanish appears to happen away from the deck.

Scott also shares "A Tune Ahead". This is a method and presentation for a prediction effect, similar to Mental Epic or the classic Triple Prediction, using the one-ahead principle. However, these routines often require one bit of information to be forced in order to work. Not in this case! Scott took Michael Pilkey's SIRIously Mental reveal (described in Vol. 1 No. 3 of The Hermit) and ran with it, creating a three-prediction routine with a musical theme- and at the end, your phone's virtual assistant reveals the last prediction!

Patrik Kuffs describes an intriguing idea of his (similar to an effect published by Frank Chapman in 1936)- a presentation for a card to pocket routine, but without any standard palming techniques. He calls it "Poketus Subterfuge." Learn the move, as well as a clever routine that uses it, in The Hermit!

The Hermit is pleased to share John Carey's "When Two Minds Meet". Originally published in Me, My Cards, and I, this thought-of card routine is a fun deception that utilizes the concept of Michael Murray's Boomerang Force (from A Piece of My Mind) to great effect.

And Sankey Says will return with Jay Sankey! This month, Jay shares ten expert public speaking tips.

www.hermitmagic.com
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Instagram: @hermitmagicmag
Subscribe today!
kardillusions
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
486 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Don't mean to brag but I'm super stoked so I'm going to brag a little bit.

Jim Steinmeyer (!) posted this on The Hermit's Instagram today:

Quote:
"It's a great, new magazine full of clever magic... in the style of the great, old magazines that were full of clever magic. Just when you think that those good old days are over...!"

Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Subscribe today!
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Scott, I think you should brag - you have a pretty good magazine going here!
I've only bought issue 4 and I think Josh Jay's Casual Cassandra is terrific. I like it so much that I have to work on my to* ch****.
I guess if I get issue *, then I'll have to get issue 3 also (if I want to learn "A Tune Ahead".

Keep up the good work.
kardillusions
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
486 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Hi Marqus,

Thanks for the support and the compliment!

I re-explained the basics of what you need to know from Issue 3, so that you won't necessarily HAVE to go back and get the previous issue to perform "A Tune Ahead". It should be clear enough!

Scott.
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Subscribe today!
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Great! I went & bought #8 before I came here to check some posts.
I haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet. I'm sure I'll find a 'gem' in it!
kardillusions
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
486 Posts

Profile of kardillusions
Let me know if you do! I recommend really spending some time with "All Four Two".
www.hermitmagic.com
Hermit Magic Magazine
Subscribe today!
Marqus
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Marqus
Scott,

At 65 years old with waaaaaaaaay too much magic stuff, lately I've been focusing on 'simple' tricks (yet I STILL keep buying stuff!)
I bought issue #8 because of "All Four Two" but I don't know if I'm going to invest my time in it. I need to give it another look when I have more time.
That said, I love your 'A Tune Ahead'! I also like the Kuffs & Carey submissions.

I really admire what you're doing with this publication. Years ago, I started a (hardcopy) publication called PANsylvania (it's also at the Lybrary) but I was only able to produce 4 issues. Having a 40-hour/week job, raising a toddler & doing shows on weekends was just too much. Also your artwork is perfect! (I am a graphic artist.)

Keep up the stellar work!!!
Mark
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Hermit Magazine - August (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL