The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to give longer tarot readings? (18 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Alfred Borden
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Alfred Borden
Hello,

at the moment I am learning to read the tarot with the approach of Enrique Enriquez, that is reading the visual representations of the cards. I have to say, that I am quite happy with my choice.

But one question emerged, that I don't really have found an answer for. If I am practising answering questions, I am finished after two or three minutes (at most). This seems a little bit short to me, but maybe I am mistaken.

I am basically just starting out with readings so I don'T have a lot of experience on how a reading is structured, what to say, how long an answer should be ... Can anyone point me to some resources where things of this nature are addressed?

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Alfred
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2776 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Richard Webster

How To Build Up A Psychic Practice
With Full Length Cold Readings
Isper
View Profile
Veteran user
398 Posts

Profile of Isper
There are many approaches to making readings longer if needed.

One is to simply use more cards or a more detailed spread.

Ask the sitter questions during the reading and get them talking. Many people fall into the trap of feeling that they have to do all the talking as the reader. Make the reading as interactive as possible. Think of the cards as a way to get a conversation started between you and the sitter.

Another is to give a reading using the cards and then asking for clarification on the reading or more details on the reading using an oracle deck another oracle system.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Perhaps it's less about making an answer that lasts 2-3 minutes and more about creating a dialogue around the question. You may need to take longer pauses and encourage the Client to help decipher the cards alongside your own interpretation. I agree with Ipser; you're not a performing monkey, you're a double act. The preamble you give before the reading and while setting it all up should encourage the idea that, with the Client's help, you can both shed some light on his current predicaments.

If you've read Enrique's stuff you'll know that he took a lot of inspiration from Arnold Mindel and the idea of a shared dream state. It's a valid point, and a valid approach.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I cannot but agree that Richard Webster's book is the best (only?) print source that deals specifically with this topic.

I also encourage those who would like to give full-length readings to visit a few professional readers. This will not only give you ideas about how to do it, but (perhaps even more importantly) give you a sense of what clients expect/anticipate.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Tony Miller
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Tony Miller
Consider Psychometry from A to Z. It will give you additional tools to work with that will extend time. Also go with the comment from ddyment. Great book there.
__
"If you want magic in your life, start thinking like a magician." - Scott Grossberg
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
318 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
You may want to pick-up The Oracle System Trick by Ben Seidman. It is a packet style trick but the instruction is top notch, it is la lengthy routine and Ben goes over some reading type approaches that you can adapt to your regular tarot routine.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Saturnkk opined:
Quote:
You may want to pick-up The Oracle System Trick by Ben Seidman. It is a packet style trick but the instruction is top notch, it is la lengthy routine and Ben goes over some reading type approaches that you can adapt to your regular tarot routine.

Just a caution that if you do a magic trick, you will instantly lose credibility as a serious reader.

If you want to be seen purely as an entertainer, that may be fine. But people looking for long-form readings are generally not looking for mentalism: they expect a professional reading.
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2022, the Sponge wrote:
Richard Webster

How To Build Up A Psychic Practice
With Full Length Cold Readings

I read this book in the last year or so and it is very good indeed. Richard’s customer service is also first rate. I’ve bought quite a few books from him and they are always excellent.

Another title you may consider is Streetwise Tarot by Mark Lewis. He teaches the three spreads he uses for full length readings. An excellent book for many reasons.

Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4698 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
In my book, "The Supplemental OORT," I have an essay called "Reshuffling Your Future," which can increase the length of your readings with a nice psychological querent-directed touch.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
questort
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of questort
I'll recommend a little known (and old) gem that in my opinion is hands down the best book for learning to read Tarot:

"Choice Centered Tarot" by Gail Fairfield

It was written for actual tarot reading, not necessarily from a Mentalism angle. The best part of it is that it teaches you WHY the cards mean what they mean. Why does the 3 of cups mean what it means? Why does the 4 of swords mean what it means? You can learn the image symbolism as a memory cue, yes, but when you understand the logic behind it (and yes, there actually is logic behind it) then it all becomes so much easier. Not only will it be easier but your readings will be better, and you will never run out of stuff to talk about because you are talking about ideas, principles, and archetypes as they apply to life. It in itself sparks creativity and is why I think Tarot is actually a useful tool for creativity and problem solving even though I personally don't believe there is anything paranormal about it.

For the Minor Arcana you just need to learn the principles behind each of the 4 suits, and then the numerology of numbers 1-10, Page, Knight, Queen, King. And learning those is much easier than it sounds because they tell a story, one leads to the next. Learning that story then serves as a mnemonic, and it all makes perfect sense. Then put it all together and you instantly know the meanings of all 56 cards without any visual cues necessary.

As a heads up, it looks like newer printings of the book are called "Every Day Tarot: A Choice Centered Book", it is still the same book and might be easier to obtain.
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Quote:
On Aug 9, 2022, questort wrote:
I'll recommend a little known (and old) gem that in my opinion is hands down the best book for learning to read Tarot:

"Choice Centered Tarot" by Gail Fairfield

It was written for actual tarot reading, not necessarily from a Mentalism angle. The best part of it is that it teaches you WHY the cards mean what they mean. Why does the 3 of cups mean what it means? Why does the 4 of swords mean what it means? You can learn the image symbolism as a memory cue, yes, but when you understand the logic behind it (and yes, there actually is logic behind it) then it all becomes so much easier. Not only will it be easier but your readings will be better, and you will never run out of stuff to talk about because you are talking about ideas, principles, and archetypes as they apply to life. It in itself sparks creativity and is why I think Tarot is actually a useful tool for creativity and problem solving even though I personally don't believe there is anything paranormal about it.

For the Minor Arcana you just need to learn the principles behind each of the 4 suits, and then the numerology of numbers 1-10, Page, Knight, Queen, King. And learning those is much easier than it sounds because they tell a story, one leads to the next. Learning that story then serves as a mnemonic, and it all makes perfect sense. Then put it all together and you instantly know the meanings of all 56 cards without any visual cues necessary.

This is a good way of doing things and I'm surprised this approach isn't recommended more often.
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
Grab yourself a copy of the following book, do the exercises and you will have the ability to talk for hours using a single tarot card:

https://www.amazon.com/Mary-Greers-Ways-......&sr=8-12

"By seeking and blundering we learn" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe Smile
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2022, Socrates wrote:
Grab yourself a copy of the following book, do the exercises and you will have the ability to talk for hours using a single tarot card:

That looks like a very good book.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I cover updated techniques to accomplish this this in my book. Soon to be available outside of the limited edition deck.

The book is highly regarded, maybe because it isn’t a rehash on typical standard techniques and includes so much more.

You only need the majors Smile

Feel free to look at the books table of contents at: HTTPS://mrdarkness.com/thoft

Signup for the newsletter and when the book is released you will be the first to know thanks!

Rick
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Valuable indeed, as is your entire book!

John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Aug 12, 2022, Darkness wrote:
I cover updated techniques to accomplish this this in my book. Soon to be available outside of the limited edition deck.

The book is highly regarded, maybe because it isn’t a rehash on typical standard techniques and includes so much more.

You only need the majors Smile

Feel free to look at the books table of contents at: HTTPS://mrdarkness.com/thoft

Signup for the newsletter and when the book is released you will be the first to know thanks!

Rick

Great book and ideas. I agree! Love it.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2022, bevbevvybev wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 11, 2022, Socrates wrote:

That looks like a very good book.

Think you will ever write a Tarot book? Perhaps on the major A?
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
I’ve been putting it off for 20 years. May do it again.
Alfred Borden
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Alfred Borden
Wow, thanks for all the valuable tips. They will keep me busy for a while.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to give longer tarot readings? (18 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL