The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Turning comdey club into Mentalism show. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
Has anyone had luck talking a comdey club owner or manager in to using the location for a Mentalism show on its off nights?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10233 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Many mentalists have done well in comedy clubs but not usually on an off night.
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
What do you mean? Preforming the same night as the standup?
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10233 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I'm talking about being the headliner. I have always talked about how important it is to know the business behind being a performer. This applies here as well. So many who approach comedy clubs do not understand the market. They don't take the time to learn the business and intricacies of the comedy club market. Instead they do what THEY think which is almost always wrong.

In reality, any type of good specialty act - hypnotist, mentalist, juggler, musical or prop comic (think Carrot Top, etc.) should be seeking the top pay, headlining positions at comedy clubs. Again, you must know the business aspects of this. Again, this is the difference between a $300 performer, a $3,000 performer, and a 30,000 performer. It is also the difference between a success 2/4 wall show and a terrible one.

When I perform in comedy clubs I am either the sole performer or perhaps an emcee and then me. I have probably book 350-450 of these over the years ans still do occasionally as pickup dates.

Success is created in the business behind the performance, not in the performance.
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
Would you mind if we take this off public eyes and I contact you?

Quote:
On Aug 7, 2022, Mindpro wrote:
I'm talking about being the headliner. I have always talked about how important it is to know the business behind being a performer. This applies here as well. So many who approach comedy clubs do not understand the market. They don't take the time to learn the business and intricacies of the comedy club market. Instead they do what THEY think which is almost always wrong.

In reality, any type of good specialty act - hypnotist, mentalist, juggler, musical or prop comic (think Carrot Top, etc.) should be seeking the top pay, headlining positions at comedy clubs. Again, you must know the business aspects of this. Again, this is the difference between a $300 performer, a $3,000 performer, and a 30,000 performer. It is also the difference between a success 2/4 wall show and a terrible one.

When I perform in comedy clubs I am either the sole performer or perhaps an emcee and then me. I have probably book 350-450 of these over the years ans still do occasionally as pickup dates.

Success is created in the business behind the performance, not in the performance.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10233 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I always prefer to keep things here on the forum to allow others to follow, join in, and learn from the topic, but if you prefer that is fine.
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
Ok sorry. Any tips on helping me get into the clubs. I am in a area that has not magic or Mentalism
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21010 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Ross Johnson has done quite well at headlining comedy clubs. For decades as a matter of fact.

Here is the problem you will have. You need to be funny. VERY funny. I have not looked at a single thing you do so I make no judgement about this. But you will have to be headline comedy club act funny. If you want to headline that is.

Also think about what you are asking. Using the club on an "off night". Why do you think those nights exist in the first place? It is because the club has trouble selling tickets and making the nut on that night. The club will most likely have a far better line on getting this done that you will. Might not be the best idea in general. Often on the nights they do not have comedy they have things like open mic nights, Chippendales, burlesque shows and so forth. If there is a way to make money on the building many of them do.

I get the point mindpro is making, but it is over simplified. The performance must be a GIVEN. It MUST be at that caliber. Otherwise making money is impossible. That being said he is dead on right about the money being made behind the performance and not necessarily ON the performance. 100% dead on. But the performance must be at a certain level.

I do club tours and in reality I do not make as much ancillary money as I should. I'm pretty lazy about it.

There is a lot to your question that is for sure.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Fedora
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, usa
387 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2022, RealityTwisterSFX wrote:
Ok sorry. Any tips on helping me get into the clubs. I am in a area that has not magic or Mentalism



What area are you at?
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
Surprise AZ
Fedora
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, usa
387 Posts

Profile of Fedora
I don't work clubs so I can't help you there, but I can tell you that
there is numerous magicians and mentalists in the valley of the sun.

the most notable Comedy club magician here is Michael finney.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10233 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree, Arizona has many mentalists there. Larry has done comedy clubs as a headliner for years although none of late due to his health. Most of the Arizona 6-1/2 are still around. Arizona has been a hotbed for the mentalists and the mentalism community.

This is why many were waiting to learn more about you before attempting to assist as it does make a difference in who will assist and how to assist you. I am more interested in learning if you really have "a show" or not, what type of mentalist are you, and your level of experience.

It's very rare to meet someone who has done Zoom shows but not live shows so it makes it very curious and interesting (but raises many questions).
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
I did shows over 20 years ago in the East. Been out of bit but over CV19 started a zoom
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21010 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well first off 20 years is not "a bit" it is an eternity. Over 20 years ago is even longer .

When you say you "did shows" what does that mean exactly? How many shows, on what level, for whom, and so forth. Are you funny?

The difference in working a Zoom show and working in a comedy club setting is the difference between lightening and the lightening bug. It almost sounds like you might want to build up to this rather than starting there.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
RealityTwisterSFX
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of RealityTwisterSFX
Thanks
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1022 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Like others maybe have, I tried to take a look at your website and FB link in your profile and both went to either broken links or doesn't exist. Not sure why.
Al Kazam --> Magic guy in Perth Australia
Fedora
View Profile
Veteran user
Arizona, usa
387 Posts

Profile of Fedora
The "Http s://" is typed twice, knock one out and it works fine.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10233 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
This makes no sense to me. This is not a corporate mentalist based on this site
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21010 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2022, Fedora wrote:
The "Http s://" is typed twice, knock one out and it works fine.


Do you really want clients to have to go through all that to just see who you are?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
770 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2022, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2022, Fedora wrote:
The "Http s://" is typed twice, knock one out and it works fine.


Do you really want clients to have to go through all that to just see who you are?

Who as a client comes to the magic Café and clicks on a profile to get info on a performer?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Turning comdey club into Mentalism show. (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL