The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I am developing a new Okito Box routine to use in my walk around work. In one phase, I want the box to vanish from around the coins (as opposed to the coins vanishing from the box.)

I have worked out a method, but it seems a bit clumsy. Has anyone else worked on an effect like this? I am seeking some suggestions.

Thanks
Dawai
View Profile
Regular user
Honolulu,Hawaii
131 Posts

Profile of Dawai
How about having the Okito box penetrate a glass cup leaving the 4 coins on top of the cup using a napkin?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27083 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
In answer to your question: Yes, uses a dab of wax to stick the lid in place so won't make noise when goes away. BTW, the box appears around the coins to start the trick.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
How about discarding the lid, doing a one-handed turn over in the left, and a clasic palm off with the right, done under the premise of a rubbing action? That's pretty straight forward. Use Malini's or Kaps to show the right empty by counting the coins one at a time from the left to the right finger tips.

If your adept at loading many coins at once into classic, you could then rematerialize the box, with the coins in it, a moment or two later.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
eddieloughran
View Profile
Special user
942 Posts

Profile of eddieloughran
One of David Roths tapes, the okito box one I think, had the box penetrate the hand leaving the coins on top
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
You can find a video of that at http://www.coinmagic.com. Dan Watkin's version looked like Roths to me, but could be wrong.

Jonathan, I'm curious...can you pm me?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
I have the older Roth tapes, so I'll check them out. Do you remember which tape it is on?

Also, I tried the link above and it took me to a domain search engine. Is the link correct. I would love to see the video.

Thanks to everyone!
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
It's Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy vol. 11

The routine that Dan has on his site is quite similar to Roth's, but then again, we all have and do some routines that are very similar to one or more of Roth's. I know I do.

Best,

Mike

rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Thanks WildStone, I'll take a look tonight.

Also, the link above should be http://www.coinvanish.com

I looked at the video and the move would suite my routine very well.
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
Every coin magician should know Roth's work that's for sure. I think though one of the best technicians to study is Townsend. His ideas make complete sense even on the audience side, so that's where my focus is.

You are right on that link correction...he must have let go of the domain name because you used to be able to get to both sites. They are both run by Dan in any case and well worth visiting the forum if you do coins at all.

Plus you have guys over there like Eric Jones and many other very well knowledged individuals. It's certainly worth the free trip over. Smile
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-06-30 06:50, WildStone wrote:
How about discarding the lid, doing a one-handed turn over in the left, and a clasic palm off with the right, done under the premise of a rubbing action? That's pretty straight forward. Use Malini's or Kaps to show the right empty by counting the coins one at a time from the left to the right finger tips.

If your adept at loading many coins at once into classic, you could then rematerialize the box, with the coins in it, a moment or two later.

Best,

Mike

I was going to suggest the exact same thing Mike. Dumb minds think alike eh? ....wait....errr.....
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
The original O-Kort-o routine in Bobo includes a penetration of the box thru the hand, with the coins left behind, if I am remembering it right...

Best, PSC

P.S. Some very subtle stuff in that routine if you read it carefully... Milt Kort did a lot of work with the Okito box, and his work is worth researching. In LINT he offered a boxless okito box routine!
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
In LINT he offered a boxless okito box routine!

There ya go again Paul!

Mike
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
That would just be an Okito routine then, right?
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
I'd call it Okito Deleto. Smile
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
No, much as Mike would prefer I NOT remind folks, LINT is full of great stuff, and the Kort routine is just one. It IS an Okito Coin Box Routine, but the coin box isn't there! If this sounds confusing, well, trust me it isn't...

The material is excellent, and you should make a point of getting this. In addition, the other stuff in LINT is of extremely high caliber, with contributors like Bill Kalush, Ron Bauer, myself, John Luka (whose columns in New TOPS are the source for the book), Charlie Miller and Jack McMillen, the aforementioned Milt Kort, etc.

The "stuff" runs the gamut from coins to cards to mentalism, with some comedic material thrown in for good measure, all small magic that is extremely workable and well within the grasp of the majority of the magic buying public.

Do yourself a favor and buy this book, it may be the best compilation in the last 25 years...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
Paul is right...I'd prefer he didn't tip one of the most underrated books to come out in the last decade! But...Paul is also right...this book is GREAT...the material is doable...and more important...useable! Sheesh Paul...since you're at it...why don't you let Kort's book out of the bag Smile!

Mike
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
This book is only 24 bucks too from Daytona Magic...someone please tell me if it's the wrong book please and thank you.

http://www.daytonamagic.com/Books/BK096.htm

It is the second book on the page.
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
That's it!

You'll be very happy with it.

Mike

Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
Awesome. Thanks Mike,
-Justin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Help (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL