The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
A very fine magician near Ft. Worth, Patrick O'Gorman, has a routine where the box vanishes. It looks very good. Basically a box of coins sits on the the table. You wave your hand over the box and the box and lid vanish. No wax, nothing sticky, no fancy box.

~ Dan Strange
Ronnie Ramin
View Profile
Loyal user
233 Posts

Profile of Ronnie Ramin
I can vouch for this I've seen Patrick do it as well as Dan.
Ronnie
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
I guess instead of making a new thread I can post my question here.

Is there material on the Okito box other than David Roth's, Milt Kort's, and Bobo's?I'm just curious if anything went in print after these gentlemen had published theirs.
I'm getting interested in Okito work, so I'm looking for other sources.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Goeff Latta has at least one item in print, an AMAZING use of the HPC idea.

There is more okito box stuff in the pages of Apocalypse, including some by David Regal.

Sorry, my stuff is not out for general use.

Vanni Bossi has some material around.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Sure - Ed Marlo has some wonderful work, I think it is in "Coining Magic", an early Marlo book by Magic, Inc...

The original Okito Routine was in a pamphlet published by Don Redmon back in the forties and contains a handling I have never seen anyone do, other than me.

For years the standard text was the Mohammed Bey Okito Coin Box Routine, published by Tannen's. It is quite good, one of the first things I ever did. There is a section at the back with additional moves by Eddie Rosenthal that are grossly overlooked...

Frank Thompson has some material that is awesome, but I don't know where you'd find it - I have it in private notes...

There are several very good things in the Ganson books "The Art of Close-up Magic", volumes 1&2. These also use a Boston Box - one was called Tea for Two, and another called The Boston Two-step, as I recall...

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now. Anyone else?

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Thank you gentlemen, these definitely give me a course to be set.
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Probably hard to find now but there was some Okito material in "Steve Beam on Coins I & II". A little different than the standard fare. Stuff I've actually used.

"Al Schneider on Coins" has a few Okito items.

The Mohammed Bey book is worth a good study. I agree with Paul about the Eddie Rosenthal material in the back.

~ Dan Strange
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
On 2004-07-01 22:30, Paul Chosse wrote:
The original O-Kort-o routine in Bobo includes a penetration of the box thru the hand, with the coins left behind, if I am remembering it right...

Best, PSC

P.S. Some very subtle stuff in that routine if you read it carefully... Milt Kort did a lot of work with the Okito box, and his work is worth researching. In LINT he offered a boxless okito box routine!

I was just looking through Bobo, but can't find this anywhere. Is it from another book or am I just overlooking it?
mike gallo
View Profile
Inner circle
1341 Posts

Profile of mike gallo
I was just looking through Bobo, but can't find this anywhere. Is it from another book or am I just overlooking it?

It is in the New Modern Coin Magic...the big expanded hardbound put out by magig inc.

Mike
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Shoot! I have the original.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Tough choice which is more neurotic and myopic, using a tiny woman's purse or a strange metal box where it seems the lid will not stay one...
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Paul,

Don't forget Scotty York's no-turnover routine, and Roger Klause's C/S/B routine from Kaballa. (really was a c/s/b routine, but began and ended in an Okito)

Also, there is a very strong and practical routine in Jim Klayder's "Watch closely". It's a Boston Box he uses.

Somewhere at the Café, I outlined my routine for the "Cylinder and Coins" done with a Boston Box.

Tommy Wonder's Coins across has a couple of box phases, and the box is integral to the routine.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27084 Posts

Bob Kohler did a nice routine using a US Penney and the half dollars in a coin box. Like in the cylinder trick, the coins appeared in the box and under the Penney.

There are several goodies in the run of Apocalypse.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Okito Help (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL