The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » You're Only Lying to Yourself (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jose Lovales
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Jose Lovales
New book by Luke Jermay, "You're Only Lying to Yourself". All Jermay does is a jewell. This time is about card stuff.

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/card-m......yourself
Joe Brewer
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of Joe Brewer
It looks like the book just gives the history of each effect plus credits. All of the explanations are in a 4 hour download
Chris Jenkins
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Chris Jenkins
Any reviews of this anywhere yet?
mayniac
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of mayniac
I’m sure this has some good card effects, but I don’t understand why they would write a book that doesn’t have the explanations included in it.
Dr. JK
View Profile
Inner circle
Sandusky, OH
1191 Posts

Profile of Dr. JK
I have now published a review of my thoughts, although after obtaining it, I don't think it belongs in the books section of the Café - ha!

https://youtu.be/2PoLld0f0Ts
- Jeff Kowalk, The Psychic CPA
www.youtube.com/eruditemagic
IG: @erudite.magic
FB: @eruditemagic
SoloDoubleAct
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
67 Posts

Profile of SoloDoubleAct
So I just received this in the mail, and I'm happy with the effects & relative price for all of them! I'll lead with that. I bought this before the comments/videos about the book contents were public.

I don't understand the point of this book at all. I like videos well enough, and the videos for this series are good and I got value out of them! I will perform some of them for sure! That's a win. Some really great ideas in there, patiently taught, well shot, well done!

Hearing there was an accompanying book: very cool! Hearing it wasn't as fleshed out as the videos, that was fine too; that info was seemingly(!) communicated well enough to me before purchase. Turns out it wasn't though.

This book has zero purpose. It's a glorified afterthoughts section, provides very little insight, has some credits, and is a tiny hardcover piece of trash frankly. I will likely never open this again. It is a waste of paper, shipping, carbon usage. I'm not anal about being green or anything but this product just slaps you in the face and says "waste".

It doesn't even have a URL or QR code for the videos! So, out of context, this book is completely useless! Within context it provides almost no additional ideas or useful afterthoughts. Each blurb is a glorified: this trick is pretty nice. I hope you enjoy it. Credits to etc etc. His collectors blurb on page 47 is one tiny paragraph (almost literally) saying: this is a fun trick but I actually never perform it.

It makes me like the otherwise good video set so much less, as I have a yuck taste in my mouth now.

This should have been sold like Harapan Ong's Optics. Videos and a neat little deck of cards plus display. Or like the Ellusionist Peter Turner stuff with some random "mentalism" pen and faff to get you something tangible and then the content is video. I didn't mind that at all! I get that maybe people don't buy just downloads like this or DVDs anymore, but this is the worst way to package this set imo.

The book ultimately feels like when a musician is under contract with a label to produce X number of albums, and they have to do one more to get out of the contract, so they plop out a quick compilation of duds and half-hearted re-issues to fulfill the obligation. I'd be very worried about Luke if this was his intention to sell such a silly product.

Once again, the effects and videos are good though! I do recommend them at this price, but if I could do it again I would put in my order notes to skip shipping me the book - it's just a waste!
abecarnow
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of abecarnow
Your review will help me decide whether or not to purchase. Thanks.
dawnzubair
View Profile
New user
Singapore
58 Posts

Profile of dawnzubair
Thank you for expressing your thoughts, and I agree with everything you mentioned.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » You're Only Lying to Yourself (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL