The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Ackerman - Best Self Worker I've seen in a while (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
This is the best self-working trick I've seen in a while. Every action
makes sense in the context of the routine.

Alan Ackerman Self worker
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Nice.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1176 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Can be found in Roberto Giobbi's excellent "Introduction to card magic".

A pdf I recommend to anyone.

Mark
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I think Predixion by Max Maven is better -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH2KHiB9bvA

Also David Regal's Prophesy Deck uses a similar principle combined with something else. A clever combination.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The thing I like about Ackerman's trick is that it uses an ordinary deck and a very small setup.

For a card magician with any experience at all, you can add it immediately to your repertoire because the working is so obvious. (to us not to the spectator). Unlike a lot of tricks, you could not do this trick for a month but still, know how to do it when the time is right.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
It is tricks like this, throughout our journey in magic, we forget about. Simple yet very magical and we can put our efforts into presentation.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2022, MeetMagicMike wrote:
The thing I like about Ackerman's trick is that it uses an ordinary deck and a very small setup.

For a card magician with any experience at all, you can add it immediately to your repertoire because the working is so obvious. (to us not to the spectator). Unlike a lot of tricks, you could not do this trick for a month but still, know how to do it when the time is right.


You are right! The may be better tricks out there, but this has a high reward-to-effort ratio.
I think Alan could have been more subtle about the CCF though.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Nicodemus, He had her do the move, then spoke a little for time misdirection, then showed "her card". Isn't that textbook CCF?
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Hi Mike,

Firstly I don't think it's a good idea to say "I'll just mark the place". When we say something like that we think we are casually justifying our action, but in fact (in my opinion) this is guilty thinking, and potentially draws attention to the thing we want to go unnoticed. I think it is better to mark the cut without commenting on it. In fact, do at as you start to talk about something else - as if your mind is already elsewhere. There is something illogical about marking the place, only to go back to it about 6 seconds later; so don't draw attention to it by "justifying" it. This is similar to a 12 year old magician, saying "I have here a perfectly ordinary deck of cards". It screams that the deck is NOT ordinary!

The other thing is, how much time is long enough? I think you need to engage the spectator's attention with something interesting/complicated enough to flush out their short term memory. It seems to me that Alan really just "ticked the box" of time misdirection. He could have given it a tad longer by maybe explaining a few more details of the forthcoming procedure.

Here's an example I do like -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7PSh4pdG8
Pyppo100
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Aug 21, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:
Hi Mike,

Firstly I don't think it's a good idea to say "I'll just mark the place". When we say something like that we think we are casually justifying our action, but in fact (in my opinion) this is guilty thinking, and potentially draws attention to the thing we want to go unnoticed. I think it is better to mark the cut without commenting on it. In fact, do at as you start to talk about something else - as if your mind is already elsewhere. There is something illogical about marking the place, only to go back to it about 6 seconds later; so don't draw attention to it by "justifying" it. This is similar to a 12 year old magician, saying "I have here a perfectly ordinary deck of cards". It screams that the deck is NOT ordinary!

The other thing is, how much time is long enough? I think you need to engage the spectator's attention with something interesting/complicated enough to flush out their short term memory. It seems to me that Alan really just "ticked the box" of time misdirection. He could have given it a tad longer by maybe explaining a few more details of the forthcoming procedure.

Here's an example I do like -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk7PSh4pdG8


In the book Card College I indicates to use the phrase:

"We will mark the position where he cut the cards".

Thanks!

Best regards
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Just because something is written in a book, doesn't mean it is true. Even in a book by Roberto Giobbi.

I didn't invent the opinion I expressed above. It also came from a book. I can't remember which, unfortunately. Ortiz? Meskalyne?
Anyway, there was an analogy in that book. If you are having coffee with a friend, and the doorbell rings, you do NOT say "Excuse me. I will just put down my coffee, stand up, and walk to the door." If you DID say something so contrived, it would be highly suspicious. You just do those actions; they don't require commentary.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Nikodemus,

I appreciate your opinion but in this case, I disagree. Sometimes a justification is, uh, justified.

Putting down coffee doesn't require commentary because it is an ordinary action. Cutting a deck and putting one half at an angle on top of the other is unusual.

I don't think it's a deal breaker in this case but I'll go with Bannon on this one.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1176 Posts

Profile of mlippo
There are better approaches nowadays to the CC force. See Ben Earl, for example...
Or just the "hold the deck in your hands, cut the card wherever you wish and put them on the table. Now, for the moment, place the cards still in your hand on those, but at a slightly different angle ... Thanks! We'll get back to them in a moment ..."

Do your homework, guys!

Mark
_Alex_
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of _Alex_
Thanks for Sharing Mike! Beautiful simplicity! Nikodemus brought up a very interesting argument about the cross cut force. I agree with Mike that we need to explain strange procedures for clarity of effect. I think what Ackerman did here made sense contextually with the routine. He explained the rules of the game and that gave enough time between the action.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Aug 23, 2022, mlippo wrote:
"hold the deck in your hands, cut the card wherever you wish and put them on the table. Now, for the moment, place the cards still in your hand on those, but at a slightly different angle ... Thanks! We'll get back to them in a moment ..."
Mark


Yes.


For anyone interested in the psychology of misdirection here are a few resources I would recommend -

Magic by Misdirection (Daniel Fitzkee) - repetitive but a classic dedicated to this single topic
Designing Miracles (Darwin Ortiz) - brilliant book on what elevates a trick to a "miracle"
Books of Wonder (Tommy Wonder) - contains an essay on Misdirection that many regard as essential reading
James Brown - Misdirection Sessions -
https://ellusionist.com/products/misdire......es-brown
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Good discussion. Thanks All
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Thanks for starting the thread. I think it's a neat trick.

I've had a couple more thoughts about the selection of the first card. It doesn't have to be the CCF. Given the initial setup, there are plenty of other options.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3370 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Nikodemus, I'm sure he chose that force to make it fully self-working. For myself, I would cull one of the threes under the spread and force it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com



I took the Pledge
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of martonikus
John Bannon has a lot to say about the CCF in his Move Zero series. He advises against using a 90 degree angle (use a 45 degree angle instead) and he hates the phrase "we'll mark the spot" because it directs attention where you want it the least. He provides additional thoughts and several variations that work especially well in certain situations.
Pyppo100
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Pyppo100
Quote:
On Aug 26, 2022, martonikus wrote:
John Bannon has a lot to say about the CCF in his Move Zero series. He advises against using a 90 degree angle (use a 45 degree angle instead) and he hates the phrase "we'll mark the spot" because it directs attention where you want it the least. He provides additional thoughts and several variations that work especially well in certain situations.



In the Prophet Motive III effect, Bannon cuts the stack of cards at about 45 degrees, but forces the card to the bottom: is cross forcing no longer suitable for forcing the card to the top?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMZWafhBCXc


Thanks!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Ackerman - Best Self Worker I've seen in a while (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL