The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Thomas Nelson Downs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
T. Nelson Downs is recognized by many people even to this day as the greatest coin manipulator who ever lived. But he didn't limit himself to coins . . . his book _The Art of Magic_ has tons of his favorite card tricks, and one of his most legendary performances was done with three matchsticks. He actually stood up in the middle of the Ringling Bros. circus in the center ring and did a trick with three matches and totally captivated the entire audience.

There is a short biographical sketch of him in the introduction to _Modern Coin Manipulation_ . . . does anyone know of any other biographical sources on Downs? Has there ever been a book written about him? If not, I might like to write one . . . I feel like he deserves more recognition . ..
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Amatuer Magician's Handbook has some stuff on him. Also, his grave can been seen on http://www.findagrave.com
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
No stand-along bio that I can think of, but of course the general magic history books will have material on him (Christopher, etc.).

There is some mention of him made in Phantoms of the Card Table, a relatively newbook, written by David Britland and Gary Osbourne.

If you find a good source, please let us know!

Thanks!
Reis O'Brien
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
2467 Posts

Profile of Reis O'Brien
Wow... it even says King of Koins on his tombstone.
Homo vult decipi; decipiatur

http://www.myspace.com/liar_4_hire
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is also some material in Bertram on Sleight of Hand.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
I Cast No Shadow
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of I Cast No Shadow
"Phantom of the Card Table" is a great book, and it has a fair amount of info on Downs as was mentioned. It actually made me a little angry, as it seemed the other magi in the story often gave him the short end of the stick. I love Downs myself, he's one of my all time favorites. I was fortunate to actually visit his grave a week ago. It's a pretty nice cemetery and the people in the flower shop were most helpful with regards to telling me where he was. A nice visit, and I've got some picts of my own now, me next to his grave. A great memory for me, my only regret is that I never got to meet him in the flesh. I'd give just about anything to do that. Sigh. I wish there were more written on him as well. When I was in Marshalltown (the town where he's buried) I saw a "Downs Auto Body Shop" or something like that. I was tempted to stop and ask if they were related at all, but I figured it'd be a long shot and besides, I'd hate to hassle people on a wild goose chase. Anyway, just thought I'd share. Smile
"It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious" - Murphy's Corollary
The Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Liverpool
267 Posts

Profile of The Magician
This is an awesome book
The Magician

Expect the Unexpected
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There are stories about Downs that tell of HOW he was and WHAT was important to him. Interesting guy.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Matt Graves
View Profile
Special user
Huntsville, Alabama (USA)
504 Posts

Profile of Matt Graves
To Sir Townsend: Where might I find these stories? If they are word-of-mouth stories, do tell . . .
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magicians of old » » Thomas Nelson Downs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL