The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Long Banqueting Tables ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
3638 Posts

Profile of warren
When working tables as a rule its best to work and involve the whole table rather than just performing for just two people at a time.
However sometimes you encounter very long banqueting type tables, I personally tend to work these tables in sections but I would be interested to hear other magicians solutions to this problem so what are your thoughts ?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3367 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
If there is no one sitting at the end I will position myself there and do, for instance, rope magic. Many card tricks will work like card to pocket. The fire wallet really gets everyone's attention. I might do chop cup, focusing on the people who are close and the people farther away will enjoy their reactions.

If there is no opening at the ends of the table I work for a few and then continue around to the people most interested.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
ScarneAce
View Profile
Regular user
In a Galaxy far, far away...
143 Posts

Profile of ScarneAce
I just focus on a few people at a time then move to the other side of the table. I used to try and get everyones attention but it wasn't worth it, especially if it was loud. If someone was looking down from across the table I'd tell them I'll be over to them in a few minutes. So I'll do 2 tricks at one side, maybe 2 in the middle then 2 at the end.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
New user
Henderson, NV
95 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
There are so many variables to this situation that it really just depends.

If you already have the attention of the whole table, I could see going into something that plays big like Invisible Deck.

Ultimately you will have to weigh the audience's attention span, the length of the table, and your own level of comfort with the latter probably being the most important.
bobaji
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of bobaji
I sort of mentally divid it into proportions.

So you could do something for half the table at one end and then move to the other end and then perform another routine.

Or for very long tables - I try to do it in sections of six people or so, the people at the end of each last group also watch a bit of the next routine. position yourself in the centre of your imaginary group of six, communicate to people a little further down the table that you are going to move along to them and do something as well.

Some times at smaller or medium size weddings you get a large table that goes around he whole room - this strategy works really well in those settings

I kind of prefer long tables becasue with a round table the furthest person is pretty far away.

But if you mentally divide the table up into smaller sections of six or so, then every one closer and more able to get involved.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Long Banqueting Tables ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL